+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Day ~ Remembering our fallen Heroes

Memorial Day ~ Remembering our fallen Heroes

http://www.usmemorialday.org/

For those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Where I used to volunteer, there would be a parade that the people would follow. Once we arrived to the park with the color guards, there would be a few speaches with the names read of local families who lost love ones to the war. The floral wreaths would be laid with many saluting and many also had tears streaming down their faces as we listened to the sad tune of the taps.

Last edited by eldee; 05-28-2004 at 11:11 AM.

FORT Fogey
    Thanks for this thread Eldee.

Thank you to every veteran of the armed forces. You humble us with your sacrafice.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Thank you to all our fallen heroes for making it possible for us to live our lives each day in freedom. You will never be forgotten.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

i got this in an email from feif's mom this morning. good thread in which to share it.

REBUILDING IN THE GULF
    Saddam statues turned into 1 honoring U.S.
    Artist crafts sculpture of Iraqi girl comforting American GI

In the "turning a sow's ear into a silk purse" category, an Iraqi artist has used the melted remains of two Saddam Hussein statues to make a new sculpture honoring America's sacrifice for the Middle East nation.

During Hussein's reign, the artists, Kalat, was forced to craft two statues of Saddam on horseback for display in the former dictator's hometown, Tikrit. After Hussein was ousted, members of the U.S. Army's 4th Infantry Division destroyed the statues and sent the pieces to Kalat. To show his appreciation for the U.S., the artist melted the pieces and used the bronze for his new work. The sculpture features a small Iraqi girl comforting a U.S. soldier who is mourning a fallen comrade before a memorial of boots, rifle and helmet.

According to the Army News Service, the sculpture is based on a scene many in Iraq have witnessed in one form or another.

"It's about freedom for this country, but it's also about the children who will grow up in a free society," Command Sgt. Maj. Chuck Fuss told the news service.

The statue, which currently sits in one of Saddam's former palaces, will eventually be flown to Fort Hood, Texas, where it will become part of a larger memorial project at the 4th Infantry Division museum.

Kalat spent several months sculpting and casting the statue, the Army News Service reported.

*source worldnetdaily.com

Thanks to all those who died so that we could be free.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Very nice thread to start Eldee. I hope to see this one going.

My heart goes out to all the families who've lost loved ones. Very sad times.

Thanks again for this thread.
    So, where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?
    ~ Christina Aguilera

A very special thank you to all the soldiers who fought so we can be free.

And to all the fallen soldiers: there aren't enough words to express our gratitude for what you have sacrificed for your country. May you rest in peace.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I am embarrassed that I am just now getting to this thread.

I am thankful every day for the sacrifices that those make so that we can all live in a country like this. But today especially, I remember and am saddened by the loss of those who fought for the freedom of our country, and freedom for others.

God bless.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I have family members who fought in the Vietnam War and Desert Storm. Thanks to all who give unselfishly to this great nation (USA). Freedom is not given to us folks, there is a price paid for it. Our fallen soilders gave their lives so that we can have the freedom we have today.Thanks to all in the Military in the United States and other foreign countries who give us what we have today. God Bless You.

FORT Fogey
    Many thanks to the many people who have given their lives so we can live freely. R.I.P.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast