+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there a doctor in the house?

Is there a doctor in the house?

Okay, I have a stupid question.

On Saturday, I tripped and skinned up my leg just below my knee pretty bad. It's about 2" x 2", with some deep furrows in it.

I've been putting Neosporin on it twice a day, covered with a gauze pad and tape. It's finally stopped bleeding, but is still "oozing" quite a bit.

So, my stupid question is, is it better to keep doing this the way I am, or is it better to just let it scab over in the open air? I'm torn between two answers, and the bandage-changing is getting a little old.

Help!

Go to the doctor.

Seriously, though, it may be infected.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    Hi John,

Scraped knees and shins plague us boys all our life dont they?

I was always brought up with the old addage that "scabs are natures band-aids" and that its best to let a wound get air and scab up naturally.

Although it was the right idea to use the Neosporin and bandages as you did early on to cleanse the wound as prevent infection.

But as long as it didnt require stiches, stopped bleeding and seems to be a surface wound, I would probably leave the bandages off and just keep it clean and apply some additional Neosporin once in a while. It will probably quit oozing pretty soon too.

And dont pick at it!

But that is simply my two cents based on how I would handle it. But I am a terrible patient.

Get well soon.

oozing what John?? green? yellow? white? clear?

ooh I see Amanda .. she can heal ya LOL
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Mind you, I'm no doctor... just the mother of two very accident prone boys. It sounds to me like it wouldn't have needed stitches in the first place so what you're doing seems like the best thing. Keep it clean, and use an antibiotic ointment on it. I think I'd keep bandaging it too, as long as it's "oozing", but once it scabs up it should heal ok. You want to watch it for swelling or excessive redness, which I think is a sign of infection. Good luck! I hope it doesn't hurt too much.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

You should keep it fully dressed until the scab is completely formed. Until it has scabbed over 100%, you're just inviting an infection if you don't keep it covered. Personally, I keep my cuts covered even after the scab has been there for a few days, because something always seems to jostle it and knock the scab off, even if only partially. That just delays the healing even more.

eww john. just eww.

good luck with it. i'm a wuss and would have had my mom come visit to heal it up for me.

But it won't scab up if i keep putting neosporin and bandages on it, will it? Or am I completely nuts? I haven't hurt myself like this in a loooooong time (amazing, as clumsy as I am)...

It's oozing mostly clear now, a little yellowish on the fringes. It doesn't need stitches, only because there's really nothing to be stitched. The skin is just completely gone in a large patch, and there are some deeper furrows in it where there must have been rocks sticking up.

I'll explain my stupidity... I arrived at Jewelsy's house, but couldn't find exactly the place she lived. So I called her on my cell, while standing in her driveway. She was directing me by phone where I needed to go, and I wasn't watching where I was walking, and stepped in a hole. Tore my jeans, shredded my knee, and was embarassed the whole evening at my clumsiness.

Luckily, Jewelsy couldn't see how bad it was.

Awww, poor John.

I'm sorry, I don't know how to help you (Hullooooo, Miss Accident-Prone over here). I just wandered in here because I just so happen to have a bad cold, the "dry" kind, and wondered if there was indeed a doctor in the hizzouse to take questions.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

FORT Fogey
    It sounds like a BAD case of classic "road rash" that everyone who has pulled a header off of their bike or skateboard has experienced to some degree growing up. It just hurts more and takes longer to heal when we become adults.

Its funny how the two of us guys are leaning towards leaving it alone and letting it heal on its own and the women are all saying keep it bandaged and medicated.
    Classis difference of oppinion between the sexes, between moms & dads.

Mom - "oh my, lets get junior to the doctor"

Dad - "nah, walk it off, your a tough kid, you'll be fine"

The more things change - the more they stay the same sometimes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast