+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Is there a doctor in the house?

Hi John -

I just got back in town and have read of your tragedy. I was married to a guy who rode dirt-bikes competitively and "road-rash" was a way of life with us. What the docs had us do was to put Betadine on it daily instead of ointment. Betadine is the red stuff they use to clean your skin before and after surgery and it forms a thin protective film over your wound, but lets keeps it dry which they said was better. We were told not to use hydrogen peroxide because it impedes healing.

My two cents worth. Feel better.

John I've heard really good things about this product.

MedermaŽ 50 Gram Tube

$24.00
    SKU# ME001-2 50 gr.

Soften and smooth the appearance of scars. This is the #1 physician recommended product for scars resulting from surgery, burns, accidents, injuries, acne and stretch marks.

This is the large tube and it should last approx. 3 months on an 8 to 10 inch scar.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    John I've heard really good things about this product.

Duxxy, I used that a few times and it works wonders. Gets rid of scars even if they are very very old.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

What? No update from John?! How's the leg. Inquiring minds want to know (even if we can't see it. )

Mederma's good, but you have to actually have a scar first to use it. Hopefully that won't happen.

The leg is fine, just like yesterday. Doing the same things - neosporin and bandages. It only hurts when I breathe Nah, it doesn't hurt too much any more, except when I take the tape off my hairy legs.

I forgot about guy's hairy legs. Can you borrow a new disposible razor and carefully shave around that area? Hair has oil and can also get more bacteria, etc. It should also help with the bandage not pulling that hair. (It takes a real man to shave his leg or at least part of it. Athletes do it all the time).

Wheatfield, NY (outside of Niagara Falls)
    Newly graduated pharmacist here... sorry I missed this thread until now. Just want to clear some things up:

In pharmacy school, we learned that the best way to heal a wound is by keeping it moist and covered... here's why. When the wound is moist and covered, it starts to heal from the inside of the wound out, thus, rebuilding the skin layers back up to where they should be. If you have a dry, exposed wound, it will form a scab layer on top, not allowing the skin underneath it to rebuild. Therefore, when the scab falls off, you have a deeper scar than if it would have healed from the inside out.

This creeps alot of people out, because you think warm, moist environment=bacteria growth. That's what Neosporin is for! Keep the wound clean with mild soap and water, then dab a little Neosporin on (don't go crazy slathering it on, and don't use on a huge wound, because your body can actually absorb the antibiotics in the cream and that can potentially be bad). Also, Neosporin actually has broader coverage than Polysporin... the first having 3 antibiotics, the latter having 2. However, it doesn't really make a huge difference. They do make a Neosporin with a pain relieving component in it (has 2 antibiotics, go figure), which is usually what I use for myself.

Sorry for the late comments since its pretty much a moot point, but my career is based on educating people on medications!

Also... I know alot of people who buy Mederma, but I never actually hear back from them how it works... any luck here? Just curious.
    "The fact is, sometimes its hard to walk in a single woman's shoes. That's why we need really special ones now and then- to make the walk a little more fun."

--Carrie Bradshaw, Sex and the City

As far as Mederma, most of you know my wife had rhinoplasty last August, and the doctor recommended it for the small cut he would have to make between her nostrils. She's been using is regularly, and we think it works well. But that's a very small line, so I'm not sure how it works on more noticeable scars.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I could post a pic, it would be a tad bit more gross than the beesting

Jewelsy, since she can't see, thought I was joking about having hurt myself, until she took a really close look and saw all the blood
    Um, yeah. It was real bad. I was on the phone with John when he hurt himself. He didn't shout out in pain, or anything disturbing like that. All he said to me was that he tripped and tore his jeans. When he got inside, he asked for a bandaide and when I got up close to see his injury, there was blood EVERYWHERE. Poor John -- he didn't complain once.

And John -- If it does scar, you'll have war wounds from our visit!
    Last edited by Jewelsy; 05-28-2004 at 10:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345