+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there a doctor in the house?

I wish I could blame alcohol, but unfortunately it happened before the wine was opened.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Even though widely varying, I think I'll opt for covering it during work hours and at night, and leaving it open in the evenings to help the scabbing process.

I knew y'all would be able to help, even if I did have to blow my unbreakable image in the process

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I'll explain my stupidity... I arrived at Jewelsy's house, but couldn't find exactly the place she lived. So I called her on my cell, while standing in her driveway. She was directing me by phone where I needed to go, and I wasn't watching where I was walking, and stepped in a hole. Tore my jeans, shredded my knee, and was embarassed the whole evening at my clumsiness.

WHAAAA? You're human?

Just kidding! It's just a relief that it happened to someone else...for once. I hope your owie feels better soon. You know, if you went to the doctor, you might get a band-aid with Superman on it.

Personally, I am a believer in neosporin and keeping it covered with a band-aid. Speaking of band-aids, they are really coming out with some great technology these days. As a former picture framer, I've had so many cuts and really have an appreciation for a good band-aid. A friend recently told me about a new kind that you put on and then you heat it a little by placing your hand over it. It bonds to your skin and can stay on for days. I don't remember the name, but she gave it an excellent review.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

But I've kind of grown attached to my Spongebob Squarepants bandaids! (kidding, kidding)

Right now, I'm using these square pads and paper tape. I like the paper tape because it comes off with almost no pain, and doesn't rip the hair off my legs. I have to use Neosporin when I use the pads, because otherwise they stick horribly, and they're REALLY painful to remove. I'm a wimp when it comes to pain and owies. Especially the kind that ooze.

Well, I'm late with this because I was out partying all night, () but I asked my mom (who's a nurse), and here's what she said:

Generally, wounds are cleansed with soap and water, initially, and then an antibiotic ointment is applied and the wound covered until bleeding subsides. The thinking these days is that an uncovered wound heals faster and is less prone to infection. A moist, warm area covered by a bandage is a perfect breeding ground for infection to occur.

Don't ever apply alcohol, peroxide or anything else "caustic" (antiseptics) to the skin as it will further damage the tissue. Parents just tortured their kids with that stuff because it never did any good and ended up causing more problems.

Just make sure to wash the area gently with soap and water when you shower (don't scrub it or it will never form a scab, and you'll increase the scarring), and then apply antibiotic onitment to the area. If you want to put a nonstick dressing over it, do so. If it gets wet, change it. Leaving it uncovered will speed up the healing, but if the area gets rubbed, it will delay it. Use your own judgment. If the oozing is clear, that is normal and is just serous fluid. And yes, it can still form a scab while you're putting neosporin and bandaging it.

Oh, and your image is still unbreakable, Mr. Big Scary Admin.

By the way, I think polysporin works better than neosporin. It covers a broader range of germs, if you will.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Um, what Mantenna said. All the way through "Mr. Big Scary Admin."

I had a big deep cut on my knee about 4 years ago. I probably should've went to the doctor with it because it was really gross looking. All I did was limp upstairs, clean it and cover it. Now I have this big scar. I know now I probably should've went to the doctor to at least get it checked, cause it needed stitches. But I think everyones advice is pretty good on cleaning it and keeping it covered so the scab stays.

Eeewwww. I was just about to go make dinner when I stumbled into this thread. Oh well, maybe I'll be hungry later.

Feel better soon John.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Wow, so many different takes on the problem! Poor John, go home and let your wife fuss over you - that will speed the healing.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

A couple of years ago, I was in a bike race with some friends. I collided with of them and ended up falling on the ground and grinding my knee on the pavement. So I went through the same situation you have now. What I did then was similiar to what speedbump posted: I covered it for the first few days, then left it open afterwards. I also washed the wound with water every night. It hurt A LOT, but it helped!
    Last edited by haejin; 05-26-2004 at 07:01 PM.
    Gustav Holst was right!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast