+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there a doctor in the house?

True, Daddio. That's why I asked. Because I have Mom in the back of my head saying "keep it bandaged, and keep putting Neosporin on it!" while my own tendency is that if I leave it exposed for a couple of hours, it'll stop oozing and scab over, and then it'll heal on its own with much less attention from me.

But I also don't really want it to scar too badly, so I want to do what's right.

on vacation
    You probably won't like my suggestion, but I think if I were you, I'd take some warm compresses and keep placing them on it while they're warm, making sure that it's thoroughly cleaned as sometimes, stuff can be in there that you can't see. As soon as they get cool, put a new (clean) one on again. Sometimes that really helps when sore ooze.

After that, and this is the bad part, I'd put your leg over the sink or something appropriate and pour hydrogen peroxide over it. It's going to hurt but if it's going to heal up on it's own without a doctor, hydrogen peroxide is going to do it, especially if it's minorly infected.
    Memo from God

I am God. Today I will be handling all of your problems. Please remember that I do not need your help.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    But I also don't really want it to scar too badly, so I want to do what's right.
    That is very true. So in that regard - go with your gut instinct.

If there is a big patch of skin that is missing it may be a good idea to have a doctor check it out. Just for peace of mind if nothing else. Better to be proactive now than reactive down the road.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    John, maybe you could put the neosporin and bandages on it during the day. And at night, while you are sleeping let the fresh air at it. This is what my parents always tell me to do when something like this happens. Hope it heals soon, if not YOU BETTER CALL THE DOCTOR!!!!
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

I've been scrubbing it pretty good each morning in the shower, and I'm pretty confident that it's clean. That, and I hate doctors.

This thread is both repulsive and enthralling at the same time.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Hi John-

I do the covered/ uncovered combo. I usually keep it covered for the first 4-5 days. Then I let it "air out" when I don't need to have any clothing rubbing against it. I then cover it when I go to sleep and when I have to wear jeans.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Don't let it "air" at night, all it does is stick to the sheets and you rip it open again in the morning. Its going to ooze cause you ripped the top epidermus(sp) off and the body fluids are leaking out. This will happen for 3-4 days till that section starts to heal. More than likely you will have a scar, start preparing a good "war story" for it. I personally don't care for neo cause to me, it just delays the scab, and you want that to start, but that parts up to you. Its going to take longer to heal, age does that to you. At least I notice that my Owie's take longer to heal now.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Quote Originally Posted by John
    She was directing me by phone where I needed to go, and I wasn't watching where I was walking, and stepped in a hole. Tore my jeans, shredded my knee, and was embarassed the whole evening at my clumsiness.
    Ok John we did see those open bottles of wine in the pics with Jewelsy, are you SURE it was before you got there?

Drunken Twister games can get out of hand sometimes giggle

I"m for the leave it open route. You want a scab to form, if you cover it with gauze or something, the scab will heal over/around it etc and it will tear. The only concern is that as it is on your knee, it will take a while because normal movement will split the scab and may deepen it. Just keep a look out for the edges of the wound, if they become tender or look reddened - cellulitis often occurs in these things, mild - but there. Otherwise, even a deepened scrape should be fine, maybe a slight discoloration in the skin when healed.

(disclaimer - I am not a doctor, I just write the policies and procedures for them )

OPh yeah, and someone mentioned Hydrogen Peroxide, widely discredited in medical circles because it actually kills skin cells and delays the healing process. Cleaning it with water works best. The oozing is probably just plasma. No worries.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast