+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with a dog problem!

I bought some catnip grass for my kitties, and they completely ignored it. I mean completely. Then they just kept eating the other plants. :rolleyes

Hopefully you'll have better luck with your puppy! I'm jealous that you have a yard...
    ugh. I don't get time to watch TV anymore, much less hang out at the FORT.

But don't you worry, I'll be back in full force on or about November 3rd.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenders
    I bought some catnip grass for my kitties, and they completely ignored it. I mean completely. Then they just kept eating the other plants. :rolleyes
    I think that was because they were applying for a new job and knew that the interview included a urine screening.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    I think that was because they were applying for a new job and knew that the interview included a urine screening.
    Daddio, you are so funny and clever too. You should be a writer!

Lil Bit, you are in for a ride! I don't know if this is your first dog, but there is so much involved in getting a puppy. I got my first dog a year ago and I swear I started thinking, "I did not sign up for this." I mean he was pooping on my school books and peeing in every corner of the house. But you live in the country so that is good.

Good luck and have patience. Be stern, but not too stern and praise is key!
    I have learned that gifts don't always come wrapped and treasures aren't always buried.
    - Bob Perks

No, this isn't our first dog. While my kids were still at home we had every imaginable animal in the house at one time or another. My daughter especially took it upon herself to rescue any and every animal in distress that she could get her hands on, and since she had her dad wrapped around her little finger, he couldn't say no.

We have another dog, a 7 year old Boston Terrier who lives in the house. He's pretty well mannered (for a Boston!!) but I remember him having his moments back in his puppy days.

Ginger, our Lab puppy, has now decided to chew on all my lawn ornaments. She has a special spot under a pine tree where she likes to lay, and that's where I find the stuff she's run off with. She is getting better though. I've been taking the things she's not supposed to have and saying, "NO!", then I give her her ball to chew. I only had to retrieve a lawn ornament once today. She's been leaving the bushes alone though. I think chewing on a rose bush might have had something to do with that.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Newbie
    Hi, long-time lurker, 1st time poster.

Retrievers are naturally mouthy dogs, that is what they were bred to do, carry things in their mouths. And boy, they love to chew stuff as puppies.

You will see improvement at 6 mos, 12 mos and 18 mos, but she is depending on you to teach her what is OK and what is not OK to chew. You are doing the right thing in saying "NO" and substituting an acceptable chew toy.

Also, regular exercise like long walks or a game of fetch really helps. Tired puppies tend to be well-behaved puppies.

It will get better!

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    Lil Bit, good luck! I had such a hard time with my Boston...she is now 2 but she was difficult as a pup. She liked!! the taste of Bitter apple...shaking a coke can full of coins didnt scare her. I used a squirt gun with water when I caught her chewing on plants..that seemed to work..I squirted her and said..NO!
    Hope that helps...Oh and Dr.FostersandSmith.com have wonderful things that might help you ....I think they have some product that is called...No CHew and Stay off..they are suppose to be organic. I order all my doggy stuff from there!
    Good luck!
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123