+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with a dog problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndemere
    Just remember to praise, praise, praise. Your dog aims to please you, ....
    Yes, positive reinforcement is very important. Love, patience and repetition in training is key.

I don't know how large your plant area is. If not large, maybe chicken wire might be a temp fix while you are training. Some people put some pennies in an empty soda change and shake it to surprise the dog when he/she is doing something wrong. I don't believe in physical punishment so, please beware of such videos. I don't want to mention on that is famous re: dog training.

Most dogs jump up at/on people for two reasons. One, to show who is dominant. Two, to want to be a part of you and check you out. It's good that you are trying to train her at an early age before bad habits are formed.

The best of luck to both of you. Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    Most dogs jump up at/on people for two reasons. One, to show who is dominant. Two, to want to be a part of you and check you out. It's good that you are trying to train her at an early age before bad habits are formed.

The best of luck to both of you. Let us know how it goes.
    For the sake of your friends, keep up the good training.

I walk with my neighbor and she usually takes one of her two dogs with her. Now these dogs are semi-trained. The one is a complete airhead and is always jumping up on me. She just laughs and semi scolds it. Yesterday I was looking at some tree damage while I was waiting for her and she let the dog out before she came and it blindsided me, jumped on the back of my knee and about took me down. Grrrrrrrrr.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

FORT Fogey
    One more extremely important point;

If you dont plan to breed your dog its VERY important to spay or neuter them. This will not only calm them down it will also add years to their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    One more extremely important point;

If you dont plan to breed your dog its VERY important to spay or neuter them. This will not only calm them down it will also add years to their lives.
    Here, here! We spay or neuter all of the animals we adopt out.

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    I concur. Sour Apple is what I used. It's a miracle worker, and you can find it at almost any pet store. Just don't cry as you watch your poor puppy's reaction to the nasty taste. I almost did.
    Cayenne pepper works very well, also does the trick for cats abusing house plants. I too felt horrible when I saw my kitty "taste" it, however, it worked the very first time.

well I was going to post some advice but, looks like it's all covered.

I've been helping out a friend take care of her "rotty" I want to keep him....
    He eats a lot of grass but, then throws up.

I'm sure you'll do fine with your new family member and the good advice you got here. We have a great vet who always has great answers to any problems.

Good luck!
    So, where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?
    ~ Christina Aguilera

Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsinswede
    Cayenne pepper works very well, also does the trick for cats abusing house plants. I too felt horrible when I saw my kitty "taste" it, however, it worked the very first time.
    oooh... cayenne pepper stopped your cat from destroying your houseplants? i had completely given up on having anything green in my house b/c of the cat. she would have the plant down to a nub after about a week.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by sher
    oooh... cayenne pepper stopped your cat from destroying your houseplants? i had completely given up on having anything green in my house b/c of the cat. she would have the plant down to a nub after about a week.
    Sher have you tried growing a tray of "Catnip"? You can usually find it at "Ma and Pa" or "botique" petshops and sometimes even at the big chain stores already growing.

Just set it out, it looks sort of like grass growing (pun intended since it looks like lawn grass but also gives your cat a nice little "buzz" like hippie "grass") and once your cat gets a taste of that, they pretty much leave all your other plants alone. They just wander by and nibble a little here and there and they are in kitty heaven.

The only thing you'd have to worry about is your cat not putting your Pink Floyd CDs back in their cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    ......They just wander by and nibble a little here and there and they are in kitty heaven.

The only thing you'd have to worry about is your cat not putting your Pink Floyd CDs back in their cases.

Daddio, do they get hungry afterwards?

about the pink floyd!!! i can see the cat now...

good idea about the catnip. i'll get some. i kinda like the idea of grass in the house.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast