Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pathetic Need for Homework Help

Dex
    Gollum
    Bollocks to your pompous hiney! -makerc

Here are some suggestions

-intelligent, speculative, young man: Elijah Wood
    -young, practical, hard-headed: Mark Wahlberg
    -young, wiry, playful: Orlando Bloom or Freddy Prince Jr.
    -young, cautious, caves under pressure--Crispin Glover or Jonathan Rhys Meyer
    -middle-aged, animal-lover: John C. Reilly
    -gigantic, burly man: Philip Symour Hoffman

If you are into extra credit, maybe you can do a poster with movie actors from that era from the original movie.
    Last edited by eldee; 05-24-2004 at 12:55 PM.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Pathetic Need for Homework Help

This thread seemed like a good one to use for my plea

My son is in 9th grade and they have to do a science project for the school Science Fair. This project is due in January and counts for 20% of his grade for the 6 weeks. This project has to have a experiment that we do at home, a 2 page report, a journal he has to keep of his progress on the experiment and a display of his experiment with the hypothesis, procedures, pictures, material, etc.

He has to chose what his project is going to be and turn his choice in by next Wednesday. Once he turns it in, he cannot change it. My son is very smart but neither one of us are very imaginative when it comes to projects.

Any of you wonderful FORTers out there have any ideas or suggestions for the project or can point me in the direction of some websites that might could give us ideas or help us out? I'm already stressing myself out over this....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Fanatic

BB....the last time one of my kids did a science fair project he and his partner compared different brands and types of popcorn to determine which popped the best, had the most flavor etc.....they brought in samples of the popped corn (doesn't hurt to feed the judges ) along with a detailed display board showing pictures of every step. They placed second which was great. For more ideas try looking here:

Hundreds of Science Fair Projects For Students

bbnbama, I don't envy you - I hated science projects when I was in school, and still hated them when my daughter had to do them. Fortunately, her last one was in 8th grade. That's a fascinating site that bewty linked - it was fun looking through the examples. One year my daughter tested various clothes detergents, making stains from grass, coffee, chocolate, lipstick, etc., then seeing which detergents did the best job. The one she did in the 8th grade actually made it to a semi-regional level but I'm having trouble remembering what she did exactly, thanks to my stinky memory. It had something to do with a blind study of various teachers in her school - I'll ask her about it tomorrow. The judges thought it was really unique, and she had a great time doing it because she partnered with her best friend and they're both meticulous and work beautifully together. I don't remember much about it because I had nothing to do with it - it was all their doing. Anyway I'll ask her about it tomorrow.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

If he can't feed the judges, remember that age kids like kind of icky or weird things too; maybe measuring mold growth on different types of bread or something, and putting some in the dark, some in light, etc. I seem to remember doing some kind of experiments with molds in elementary school like that. We also liked the things where you grew different types of crystals (sugar, salt etc.), grew seeds in varying conditions, things like that.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

For the school-mandated science fair (for 7th and 8th graders), I did projects on fad diets and lightbulbs, respectively. Through 9th, 10th, and even this year so far, I've wanted to do a project on room acoustics (eg. how auditoriums are constructed to maximize sound projection from the stage, etc), but I never got around to getting things done. Anyway, if your son is interested in sound, physics, or the like, he might like this topic. Also, it doesn't hurt to build or invent something for a science fair project - one of my friends built a clock for her project last year and it placed for the 9-12 school division (projects are voluntary after 8th grade). Please post what he ends up choosing! I'd love to know.
    Last edited by haejin; 10-20-2007 at 06:49 PM.
    Gustav Holst was right!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12