+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: How old are you?

Re: How old are you?

I'm turning 50 (!) in a couple of weeks and was mistaken for my Little Sister's grandmother last week. I was insulted and then did the math (she's 10). It isn't even a stretch. If I had a kid at 20 and she had a kid at 20 the grandkid would be 10. I wasn't feeling old until then.
    Count your blessings!

Don't feel bad - I once read that Loretta Lynn was a grandmother at 28!!.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I got carded when I was picking up some wine the other week. Felt pretty good. Surely that must be a sign that I'm actually getting - gasp! - old? My feeling so good about getting carded, that is. I remember when I'd reached the legal drinking age and desperately wanted to seem older. Back then, I used to wear make-up to look older, whereas these days, I wear make-up to look younger. I don't consider myself a geriatrics case just yet, though.

In related news: a bus driver, bless his heart, offered to give me a half-priced ticket (meaning he thought I was under 18) a couple of months ago, but he must have been on crack. I can pass for 20 on a good day, but 17? No way. I wouldn't want to pass for 17, either. On the contrary, I feel like I'm coming into my own with each year. I honestly can't wait to hit 30. Or 40 for that matter. It is my firm belief that women, like fine wine, only improve with age. Am I right, ladies?

ETA: Crikes! A grandmother at 28?! How is that even possible? Someone do the math, please.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2376946;
    Don't feel bad - I once read that Loretta Lynn was a grandmother at 28!!.
    One of my friends from HS was a grandmother at 35.

Gut, haven't you heard that 50 is the new 40 and 40 is the new 30, so you're really only 30, not 50!!!!

I'm going to be 45 in a few days. The only thing that bothers me about iit is that I can't believe how fast the last 20 years went. I mean, I was just 25 like a year or so ago it seems.
    I really don't mind my age. I can now use it as an excuse for not having to put up with certain behaviors.

I just say: I am TOO old to have to put up with THAT!

And amazingly it works.

I'm hoping it works better as I get older!

Geek: LL got married at age 13 and had a baby a year later. This was very typical for the place and time she was brought up.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Well, I'm older than all you whipper-snappers. So, watch your step, as I believe in old fashioned forms of behavior modification . If folks haven't posted in this thread, for the most part, I don't know other people's ages here, but in my sphere of knowledge, there's only one regular participant who is older than I am.

I got carded routinely well into my thirties, and always found it to be totally flattering.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

I got carded until I was pretty close to 30, which was around when I stopped going out to bars, so who knows how long it would have gone on for. Personally, I loooooovvvvvved it. I just turned 47 a couple of weeks ago and people do seem to be genuinely surprised by my age. I have to thank my deeply ingrained level of immaturity for that. And the fact that excess avoirdupois has one redeeming quality - it fills out facial wrinkles nicely .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

The old fart of the board here. I'm 56 and like Marley the only carding that occurs for me is the senior discount question.

People are generally too high when guessing my age. When I was 24, a prospective employer thought that I was in my late 30's. Now, with well over 1.5 billion seconds to my credit , people see the gray in my beard and my on-again-off-again limp and still guess 10 years too high.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;2378135;
    I got carded when I was picking up some wine the other week. Felt pretty good. Surely that must be a sign that I'm actually getting - gasp! - old? My feeling so good about getting carded, that is. I remember when I'd reached the legal drinking age and desperately wanted to seem older. Back then, I used to wear make-up to look older, whereas these days, I wear make-up to look younger. I don't consider myself a geriatrics case just yet, though.

In related news: a bus driver, bless his heart, offered to give me a half-priced ticket (meaning he thought I was under 18) a couple of months ago, but he must have been on crack. I can pass for 20 on a good day, but 17? No way. I wouldn't want to pass for 17, either. On the contrary, I feel like I'm coming into my own with each year. I honestly can't wait to hit 30. Or 40 for that matter. It is my firm belief that women, like fine wine, only improve with age. Am I right, ladies?

ETA: Crikes! A grandmother at 28?! How is that even possible? Someone do the math, please.

I would agree with you. I am MUCH happier, more settled and self confident and just generally content in my 40's that I have NEVER been at any other age. My 40's have been some of the best years of my life.

Rattus, you have me . Yes, its amazing how fat fills in the wrinkels. Who needs botox!
    I usually have people guess that I am about 5 years younger than I am. Most are amazed when I say how old I really am. I can't say its not flattering. I've never understood the reason women lie about their age. I'm proud of it. I honestly never thought I'd live this long actually, so I'm just happy to be here! Really!

Ok Newf, I'm going to take a stab at it and guess that you are about 50 and please forgive me if I guessed 10 years too old!

Unk, no way are you 56, I've seen your picture and you do NOT look it. (you look younger)

My biggest problem is that I assume EVERYONE is about my age. I don't know why, but I just think everyone is my age. Flattering to those that are older, not so much to the younger ones.
    Last edited by MRD; 05-09-2007 at 09:31 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2378141;
    Geek: LL got married at age 13 and had a baby a year later. This was very typical for the place and time she was brought up.
    Yup, then her daughter had her first baby at fourteen, too.

I look younger than my age (47), too - like Rattus, I think I have my immaturity to blame or thank, depending on your outlook. My husband started going bald in his early twenties and when we were apartment hunting before our wedding, one landlady thought he was my father. C'mon, I know I looked younger and he looked older, but the sting of that one stuck with him for a long time.
    We'll be married 25 years this fall and when I told a friend that recently, her eyes got big and she yelped - "What, were you twelve when you got married? HOW OLD ARE YOU?"
    Just for the record, I do not look 37. Not by a long shot.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

+ Reply to Thread