+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: How old are you?

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2310087;
    Last summer I was buying some dishware and the woman wrapping it in craft paper said that I could use the paper to do crafts with my grandkids, to which I responded "WHAT THE HELL?" in a shocked and shrieky tone of voice (which apparently scared the poor woman, though I'm sure she'll never assume out loud that anyone is a grandma ever again). After we left the store and I settled down some, I realized that, technically, I am old enough to be a grandma (46). But I'm married to the drummer in a rock band (that I occasionally do back-up vocals for). And I'm just getting my painting/t-shirt screen printing career off the ground. I'm planning on getting a tattoo at some point in the future. My favourite t-shirt has a skull on it. I hate soft-rock/mix radio stations, polyester double knit and mah jongg. There is just no way I should be mistaken for a grandma. No way. Uh uh.
    Today's grandparents are so UNLIKE what ours were. My brother and his wife are grandparents and are a lot like you. In fact my brother is called Grand-Poobah by his grandkids. But I know other grandparents that no one would dare think of as a "grandma". The stereotype is coming down with the aging of the Boomers who are still hip. None of the grandparents I know that are in our age bracket (we are close in age Rattus) and even in their 50's are like what most people think of grandparents. We are changing that forever!!!!
    I imagine I will buy a Rolling Stones onsie for my first grandchild and we will have on matching outfits!

Karna68-I have a 16 year old, so I won't be totally free for a couple more years. What I meant was this age just frees me from so much BS that I used to think was important and putting up with BS from others that I know now I don't have to put up with. I am more able to open my mouth and say something that I might not have said in the past. Like: NO, I will NOT chair your committee.
    I guess what I mean is that I am more comfortable with who I am now than who I was in my 20's and 30's. I don't HAVE to prove anything to anyone but myself. I think that reaching this age has just empowered me more, given me more confidence and just generally made me a happier, more settled person.
    Last edited by MRD; 04-04-2007 at 08:58 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

When a niece graduated from high-school (we were in our early-mid forties, maybe), she told us we were the "cool" aunt and uncle . I wanna be a "cool" grandma, too. But not for a long time yet - the boys are still in elementary school!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2312177;
    I guess what I mean is that I am more comfortable with who I am now than who I was in my 20's and 30's. I don't HAVE to prove anything to anyone but myself. I think that reaching this age has just empowered me more, given me more confidence and just generally made me a happier, more settled person.
    Totally, man (see how cool I am ). But seriously, this is absolutely true. I am a much happier and more comfortable person than I was twenty years ago. I know a lot of younger people think that we're deluding ourselves with this thinking in order to make aging more palatable, but no, that is not remotely the case. Under no circumstances would I go back to the physical 26 year old me unless I could take the mental and emotional 46 year old me along to keep things together. In fact, the only problem I have with the aging process (apart from being referred to as grandma) is that I frequently lose words that I know I know. Like, I was trying to come up with something in this post that begins with a C that I would have used in the place of "deluding". Something along the lines of "justify" or "quantify" - just what the heck am I thinking of? Anybody?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Sorry to double-post, but I just remembered the word - rationalize. The young people think that the middle-aged are trying to rationalize. Doesn't even begin with a C. I must remember to take my ginko biloba. Or was it ginseng? Arrrgggh.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I'll be 52 in September and I am also a young grandma. My little darlin' will be four at the end of the month. One time while hubby and I were watching her, we decided to go out to eat and naturally took her out to eat with us. She wasn't even a year old at that time. She started fussing a bit in the restaurant so I just picked her up out of her high chair and was walking around with her. When we sat back down, hubby said that he bet a lot of the patrons probably thought that she was my daughter, not my grandbaby!

Come to think of it, when my dad (the youngest of 13!) was born his father was 52 and his mother was 46. My grandparents were 82 and 76 when I was born. They died when they were 97 and 96, so I had a few good years and a lot of memories of them. But they were ALWAYS old to me, because they WERE old!

I also am glad to be where I am at this stage of my life. Like MRD, I can speak my mind now where I didn't or couldn't or wouldn't when I was in my 20's or 30's, etc.

My next big hurdle will be surviving my soon-to-be 16 year old's driving experience. I somehow survived when the older two were newly 16, but that seems like so long ago!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2312177;
    Oh yeah, agree with you there!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2312503;

My next big hurdle will be surviving my soon-to-be 16 year old's driving experience. I somehow survived when the older two were newly 16, but that seems like so long ago!
    Oh lord help me, this is where I am at right now. Not sure if I will survive it.

Funny but my growing older isn't such a problem, but my daughter's growing up is a really hard thing for me. I have a LOT more problems with that than I do with my own aging.

Yup, I'm doing the 16-year-od-driving thing too! Actually, he's not doing bad; it's just that I never get to drive myself anywhere. And then there's the whole "what car to buy" thing. He changes his mind every 10 minutes! And he thinks that mom and dad are going to spend a fortune. We told him we'd pay half up to a certain amount. Anything above that, and he's on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2312633;
    Funny but my growing older isn't such a problem, but my daughter's growing up is a really hard thing for me. I have a LOT more problems with that than I do with my own aging.
    My Mom says the same thing. My sister recently became a Grandma and my Mom has a hard time with the fact that her CHILD is a Grandparent,

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2312647;
    Yup, I'm doing the 16-year-od-driving thing too! Actually, he's not doing bad; it's just that I never get to drive myself anywhere. And then there's the whole "what car to buy" thing. He changes his mind every 10 minutes! And he thinks that mom and dad are going to spend a fortune. We told him we'd pay half up to a certain amount. Anything above that, and he's on his own.
    We should start a support group for parents of 16 year old driving teenagers. I feel your pain. Our child is NOT getting the car she wants either. Heck, I had to drive my grandmother's car when I turned 16. She gave up driving at the same time. It was this land yacht with every inch inside covered in plastic, including the visors. It was old and had to be cranked 15 min. before actually going anywhere or it stalled. It was such a grandma car, but it was wheels and I could drive it so I was happy.
    Funny thing is that today, it would be considered a classic car and very collectible, but back then it was not what a 16 year old wanted.

Today I feel 80. My shoulder has been killing me for days. Went to the chiropractor and he thinks its a rotator cuff injury. I don't want to feel old. I dont' care what age I am, but I don't want to feel it, you know?
    I am looking on the bright side as he said I am to minimize use of it for a few days and I am sitting on 5 loads of laundry that need to be folded and my husband said he and the teenager would fold it. Wonder how long rotator cuff injuries can last? They can last months right?
    And here's the kicker: I don't know how I did it. I don't remember doing anything to it. There's another good thing about aging, you forget the bad stuff.

+ Reply to Thread