+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: How old are you?

G'ma to Audrey and Nathan winelover's Avatar
    57 next July - and a VERY young grandma!

You know, how old you are is only a matter of how old you feel.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by winelover;2309888;
    57 next July - and a VERY young grandma!

You know, how old you are is only a matter of how old you feel.
    Well I knew someone would say this.

Somedays I feel 18 and some I feel 88.

Geek, I was 26 almost 27 before I got married and I didn't think I was old at all and no one ever said anything to me about it. I think you are right about the youth obsessed world.
    The real slap in the face is when they stop carding you. Here there are signs everywhere that say: We card everyone under 40. I haven't been carded in AGES. On the flip side though, I do have a lot of people act surprised when I tell them my age. They do seem genuinly surprised. At least I hope so.
    I've had people tell me that I look 5 years younger than I am. Has to be genetics as I spent my entire life in the Florida sun and didn't use sunscreen until my 30's.

Well since I woke up this morning having fibromyalgia pain, today may be one of those days I feel 88.

Hubby just turned 46 yesterday and he thinks he is 45 and argued with me about it. I had to pull out his birth certificate to show him. It was pretty funny. Then I told him that he is now the age that his dad was when he was born, so we could theoretically have another baby. Oh that did not go well. He says: "now I know why my dad didn't do a lot with me when I was a kid. He was just too tired!"
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2309993;
    The real slap in the face is when they stop carding you. Here there are signs everywhere that say: We card everyone under 40. I haven't been carded in AGES. On the flip side though, I do have a lot of people act surprised when I tell them my age. They do seem genuinly surprised. At least I hope so.
    I've had people tell me that I look 5 years younger than I am. Has to be genetics as I spent my entire life in the Florida sun and didn't use sunscreen until my 30's.
    I hardly ever get carded when buying alcohol (the legal age is 20 years) and I've hardly ever been either. I think I can count the times on my fingers. They even put up that if you are under 25 you should be prepared to show your ID. So every time, almost, I have it out, but they never bother asking for it. Well, as you can figure they ask when I don't have it prepared.

Two years ago, I think, when I was 22, I was buying medium beer (18 years) and then I got carded. She wouldn't even check my items until I showed her my ID, luckily I brought my wallet.

So maybe I look older than I am. There are pictures of me somewhere in the "What do you look like?"-thread (in August/September last year) so you can all judge for yourselves

My reality check was the first time a teenager called me "ma'am". Ouch.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Last summer I was buying some dishware and the woman wrapping it in craft paper said that I could use the paper to do crafts with my grandkids, to which I responded "WHAT THE HELL?" in a shocked and shrieky tone of voice (which apparently scared the poor woman, though I'm sure she'll never assume out loud that anyone is a grandma ever again). After we left the store and I settled down some, I realized that, technically, I am old enough to be a grandma (46). But I'm married to the drummer in a rock band (that I occasionally do back-up vocals for). And I'm just getting my painting/t-shirt screen printing career off the ground. I'm planning on getting a tattoo at some point in the future. My favourite t-shirt has a skull on it. I hate soft-rock/mix radio stations, polyester double knit and mah jongg. There is just no way I should be mistaken for a grandma. No way. Uh uh.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Rattus, I love you. You remind me so much of a good friend of mine.

I came back to post a partial quote from an email my sister sent. I usually hate those lovey, dovey, passthisontosixfriendsandtheon ewhosentittoyou things, but this fits our ongoing discussion. It's been attributed to Maya Angelou, but I can't verify that:

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
    a youth she's content to leave behind....
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

It took me a while to add all these numbers up but I finally did it. I am 12852 days old today! seriously I just turned 35 on January 26th.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2310074;
    My reality check was the first time a teenager called me "ma'am". Ouch.
    I got that one too a couple of years ago (hmm, 3 I guess). But it wasn't from a teenager, but from someone's grandma (She could have been the mother, but I honestly don't think so (Rattus, I'm doing the same thing that happened to you)). But I guess it was since the child (about 2 years old) was playing around in the store with our display soes so she wanted to evoke some authority in me. To be honest I didn't mind her playing, since she was very calm and didn't take the shoes out of the display area, I figured I could correct them later, so I didn't even realise she was talking about me until I realised she said "That ma'am behind the counter". I was 21, she was in her fifties... (and again, Rattus, I know that you're not in your fifties)
    Last edited by femme fatale; 04-03-2007 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2308404;
    My 40's have so far been the greatest years of my life. It just seems to be going by much quicker. But I love this age. Frees me from a LOT.
    I won't be free for about another 16 years since I have an almost 7 year old and a 17 month old

I don't feel my age either though I guess the number 40 is just scaring me, I don't know why. 30 didn't bother me at all.

I'm used to getting carded because the grocery stores have to type your birthday into the register. But, a couple months ago when I bought hard liquor the lady behind the register looked at me real suspiciously and said, "are you old enough honey?" and really scrutinized my ID. I was a tad offended at that point.

Love you too, cricketeen
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread