+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: How old are you?

My first big wakeup call came when my second daughter was in preschool. Her teacher was young - 19, I think, and at one of the class parties, she sheepishly cleared her throat and asked if anyone knew how to work a certain piece of equipment she was struggling with. It was a record player.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

I Is Stephanie
    Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2304506;
    Well, I've got you beat on the teenager thing. My son will be 15 in August. That makes me feel really old!
    Yeah, I'll be 15 in August, and my sister (who's about to turn 12) always wants to know what it feels like to be "way" older than her...I honestly don't even feel older then her half the time. And when I do, it's because she's off playing with her American Girl dolls *shudder*.

My dad turned 50 the other day, and my mom is about to turn 50, so my sister asked her how she's made it through that many years, and Mom replied that the years seem to go by faster aseach one passes. I'm starting to see what she means. I'm also starting to see how short life is, and starting to think that it's too short for regrets. I don't regret anything in life anymore. Yeah, I wish I could have done stuff differently, but I didn't, and I can't waste any time thinking about how I could have done it differently, when there's other stuff, in this very moment, that I could be doing instead.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2305202;
    Don't forget no answering machines or voicemail either.
    I actually liked not having those. Wish I didn't now. I have begun to HATE the phone. Which is one of the reasons I don't have a cell phone. I am probably the ONLY person in the Northern Hemisphere without a cell phone.

I can say the same for 49 and I can honestly say I have no major regrets, otherwise I wouldn't be the person I am today. .
    That is EXACTLY how I feel. I can look back and say that I may have made a few mistakes, but I lived my life MY WAY (to quote Frank Sinatra. )

I remember running home from school to watch Dark Shadows on one of the three networks ABC, in BLACK & WHITE yet. They didn't go color until the second season in 1967. Then who remembers NBC starting all their shows with the peacock and the words "In living color"?
    I remember the "in living color".

I also remember when all 3 networks would show the Presidents speech.
    (I'm into quoting lately ) Jeff Foxworthy does a bit where he talks about this and says he and his brother would run around the house saying: "the presidents on tv. He's on EVERY channel. We're going to miss Flipper!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2306060;
    My dad turned 50 the other day, and my mom is about to turn 50, so my sister asked her how she's made it through that many years, and Mom replied that the years seem to go by faster aseach one passes. I'm starting to see what she means. I'm also starting to see how short life is, and starting to think that it's too short for regrets. I don't regret anything in life anymore. Yeah, I wish I could have done stuff differently, but I didn't, and I can't waste any time thinking about how I could have done it differently, when there's other stuff, in this very moment, that I could be doing instead.

Good philisophy to learn this young. Just make sure that while not wasting time thinking you could have done it differently that you learn and don't make the same mistakes again.
    Life WHIZZES by when you hit 40. You may think its fast now, but its on super fast forward when you hit my and your parents age. Because I SWEAR Christmas now seems to come twice a year in this speeded up mode. (and that is NOT the good thing it may seem. )

Enjoy your teenage years, because they go by fast and all too soon you are working for a living, paying bills, and all that. Just relax and don't yearn to grow up too fast. Because you will get to be my age and think. Man, that was WAY too short. However, I don't want to be your age again for anything! But this is a great time in your life. After college, the BIG responsibility kicks in, so have as much fun and enjoy things now, as it does get a LOT different later. Not to say you don't have fun later, but this is the time in your life when EVERYTHING is possible, when life is all ahead of you and you can think about doing everything, going everywhere, etc.
    Last edited by MRD; 04-02-2007 at 07:21 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2308138;
    Life WHIZZES by when you hit 40.
    Ugh don't tell me that! I turn 40 next year!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by karna68;2308296;
    Ugh don't tell me that! I turn 40 next year!
    My 40's have so far been the greatest years of my life. It just seems to be going by much quicker. But I love this age. Frees me from a LOT.

I'm 31 now. I'll be 32 by October. I have to admit that my 30th was rougher than I expected it to be, but I was in a really bad place in my life as well. Now, either because I've accepted it or because I'm in a better place, my age has stopped bothering me again. I love being in my 30s. It gives me street cred, yo.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2308138;
    I actually liked not having those. Wish I didn't now. I have begun to HATE the phone. Which is one of the reasons I don't have a cell phone. I am probably the ONLY person in the Northern Hemisphere without a cell phone...
    MRD, I do not have a cell phone either. Never have. I also have never had cable tv. Still have rabbit ears. But it is a color tv! I only got a DVD player last summer because it was $28. But I have no DVD's to play. .
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2308674;
    MRD, I do not have a cell phone either. Never have. I also have never had cable tv. Still have rabbit ears. But it is a color tv! I only got a DVD player last summer because it was $28. But I have no DVD's to play. .
    I didn't buy my cell phone until I was 22 (two years ago). And now I rarely use it, so far I've used up approx 25 dollars in those two years, I'm not a heavy user. I feel like I don't fit in with my generation (Not like my SIL who likes to carry out conversations via text messaging, and she's just 3 years younger than me)

So to answer the question, I'm 24, 25 in November (as indicated by my profile )

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;2308580;
    I'm 31 now. I'll be 32 by October. I have to admit that my 30th was rougher than I expected it to be, but I was in a really bad place in my life as well. Now, either because I've accepted it or because I'm in a better place, my age has stopped bothering me again. I love being in my 30s. It gives me street cred, yo.
    Turning 30 and 40 didn't bother me in the least. Both those years were good years for me in a lot of ways, so the "BIG" birthdays weren't traumatic. In fact, I've never really felt that way about any of my birthdays. I do find it hard to believe that I am this old as it seems like time just flew by. But I too feel like I have "street cred" now
    Ironically, 2 places today had my birth year wrong and that had me 10 years older than I actually am. Thought that was kind of weird, but I did set them straight. Or maybe I shouldn't so they can think I look pretty darn good for 54 instead of 44.

The year I turned 40, I had a 3 day celebration that ended up being called
    "Claudiapalooza" (Claudia being my real name). I even have a whole scrapbook devoted to that weekend. It was a blast. I also got "flocked" with 40 pink flamingos by my friends. Great time in my life. I look forward to 50 to see if I can top it.

At 26 and 11 months, I like to consider myself a young(ish) woman. Still, just in the last couple of months, I've had a few rather alarming experiences that have made me think twice about my age. Exhibit A: I've had several twentysomething guys telling me they're "totally into older babes", one of them even referring to me as a "total MILF". Apparently, I now qualify as an older woman. Flattering, but a wee bit confusing since I've always been the youngest one in virtually every social context and, the last time I checked, still was a twentysomething. A twentysomething in the upper age bracket, but a twentysomething nevertheless. Of course, my referring to myself as a twentysomething immediately outdates me - it's such a 90's word, isn't it? Anyway. Exhibit B: I went to the hairdresser's and got bangs over the weekend and ever since, the number one comment has been how much younger I look with bangs. Now, I don't mind getting older - on the contrary, I seem to grow more content with myself and people around me with each birthday, but what's up with everyone feeling the need to tell me how young I look? I know, I know, we live in a culture obsessed with youth, but I, for one, didn't know that once you cross the 25 line, you become a target for MILF hunters and anti-wrinkle cream pushers.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 04-03-2007 at 02:27 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread