+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: How old are you?

When people would stand around and talk about something that happened in the past, I used to love to say "I wasn't born then" or "I was 5 when that happened". I have fewer and fewer opportunities to say that any more. I guess I'm being punished for my sarcastic ways.

I'm sorry that I laughed the first time I saw my sister use reading glasses.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...
    I love this site - I don't feel nearly as bad about feeling bad about getting older! Age is simply a number, anyway. I'm much smarter, wealthier, funnier, more self-assured, and can cook a whole hell of a lot better now that I'm thirty-something verses when I was twenty-something. So I gained a few pounds and laugh lines in the process... No one around my house is complaining! (Except me, and I don't really count.)

Old enough to remember:

*rotary phones (and party lines, at least at my grandma's house in the suburbs)
    *three networks
    *portable AM radios (mine was a Barbie theme)
    *clackers - before they were banned
    *walking six blocks to the bus stop in kindergarten - and being perfectly safe
    *five-cent cans of Shasta
    *glass bottles of pop
    *Space Food Sticks
    *no remote controls, cable TV (at least in Portland), microwaves, answering machines, VCRs, or personal computers
    *the first few years of Sesame Street, before it was completely PC
    *solid-core gumballs
    *the birth and death of disco
    *Blondie, Cheap Trick, Joe Jackson, Pink Floyd, Rush, the Talking Heads, Styx, Queen, and everyone else who contributed to 1979 being the best year in album releases, ever
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2304157;
    However, two days before I turn 32, my oldest daughter will turn 13. Thirt-freakin'-teen. I am the mother of an almost-teenager. Now that makes me feel ancient.
    Just wait until your grandkids start becoming teenagers!!! My grandson is turning 11 next Saturday and I just wonder where all the years went.

I'm a very happy 56, almost 57, considering the fact that I never thought I'd live to see 30. I kind of lived fast and hard there for a while. It does get depressing sometimes when I consider the fact that I remember watching Howdy Doody on a thirteen inch black & white tv that had to cost a fortune for the times. And when mr. gracie got out of the Army he got a whopping $2.95 an hour for his new job and it was one of the highest paying places around here.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by jasmar;2304593;
    Old enough to remember:

*rotary phones (and party lines, at least at my grandma's house in the suburbs)
    *three networks
    *portable AM radios (mine was a Barbie theme)
    *clackers - before they were banned
    *walking six blocks to the bus stop in kindergarten - and being perfectly safe
    *five-cent cans of Shasta
    *glass bottles of pop
    *Space Food Sticks
    *no remote controls, cable TV (at least in Portland), microwaves, answering machines, VCRs, or personal computers
    *the first few years of Sesame Street, before it was completely PC
    *solid-core gumballs
    *the birth and death of disco
    *Blondie, Cheap Trick, Joe Jackson, Pink Floyd, Rush, the Talking Heads, Styx, Queen, and everyone else who contributed to 1979 being the best year in album releases, ever

Ahhh, I remember all this stuff too. My daughter can't believe we didn't have vcr's, dvds, cds, ipods and tivo (personally I can't bellieve I lived without tivo. )
    I have a lot of those bands on vinyl still and still own a turntable. But I also have a lot of that on my ipod now too.

My favorite saying when talking to some of my friends who are younger than me is:
    "yeah, that was back when we rode dinosaurs to school"

They all tease me because THEY say: "oh that was when I was 5 or that was before I was born"
    I am the oldest in my group of close friends.

I sometimes wonder how I got to be this age. I mean, where did the time go, wasn't I just 25 instead of 45?
    BUT................I don't mind it. It's just a number and I've earned my stripes getting to be 45. I have lived and loved and cried and played and hoped and dreamed and hurt and felt incredible joy and just generally can look back and say, to quote the Grateful Dead: "What a long, strange trip its been"

But its been a pretty good trip so far. I hope the journey lasts a LOT longer.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2305199;
    Ahhh, I remember all this stuff too. My daughter can't believe we didn't have vcr's, dvds, cds, ipods and tivo (personally I can't bellieve I lived without tivo. ).
    Don't forget no answering machines or voicemail either.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2305199;
    I sometimes wonder how I got to be this age. I mean, where did the time go, wasn't I just 25 instead of 45?
    BUT................I don't mind it. It's just a number and I've earned my stripes getting to be 45. I have lived and loved and cried and played and hoped and dreamed and hurt and felt incredible joy and just generally can look back and say, to quote the Grateful Dead: "What a long, strange trip its been"

But its been a pretty good trip so far. I hope the journey lasts a LOT longer.
    I can say the same for 49 and I can honestly say I have no major regrets, otherwise I wouldn't be the person I am today.

I remember running home from school to watch Dark Shadows on one of the three networks ABC, in BLACK & WHITE yet. They didn't go color until the second season in 1967. Then who remembers NBC starting all their shows with the peacock and the words "In living color"?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Heh. Me too Gabriel. Dark Shadows was on at 4 pm on ABC, where I lived. Actually, I stopped watching it because it gave me nightmares. I still remember it scaring me silly. I'm 44 though, so I was a little younger than you!

I remember all that stuff! One time, my 16-year-old son called me in a panic into his room. He was watching TV, and he said there was something wrong with his TV. I looked at it and didn't see anything wrong, so I asked him what the problem was. He said there was no color. He was watching an old TV show (I forget which one) that was in black and white. He had no idea TV wasn't always in color.

I'm 46 years young. I really think there's truth to the saying-" you are only as old as you feel."
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

+ Reply to Thread