+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

You HAVE NOT failed. It is merely another step on the way for you to achieve what you want.

Don't beat yourself up about it. It will happen when you feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3169155;
    . . . So, now I feel like a failure because I told everyone I was quitting and I lasted about 36 hours. I don't know what to do now. At least I'm not smoking as much as I was before. The pack I got yesterday still has quite a few cigarettes in it. . .
    Well, to me that says NOT failure! Any improvement, ESPECIALLY under such painful circumstances, is a victory. You have no reason to be ashamed, and every reason to be proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3169155;
    ETA: I wasn't going to come here and admit I failed, but a couple of my FORT friends suggested I come clean because of how supportive everyone has been and then I thought you all HAVE been so supportive that I should tell you all so that when I try this again in a couple weeks, I could hopefully, possibly, still have your support???
    Oh, just TRY to keep us and our support away!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I'm sure that almost everyone that has been successful at quitting has tried more than once. I know I had tried a couple of times before with 3 months being my longest.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3169199;

Oh, just TRY to keep us and our support away!
    You guys!!! You just make me want to cry.

I have been beating myself up, but I guess you are all right, it's just another step on the way to finally quitting.

The funny thing is, that I get the urge to smoke, but as I have always smoked outside, I then don't feel like getting up to go outside to smoke, so I don't. I guess that's an improvement right?

Probably the hardest for me is the first cigarette of the morning. If I can break that, I think I might be home free.

I truly want to quit being a slave to this addiction, but then I feel like a junkie that HAS to have my fix. Still I have cut down, way down. And I have only been smoking when I've really not felt well.

Had a better night last night and slept. I am still having a little pain, not too bad. I have a busy day today, so hopefully that will help too.

I'm just lucky I have such a wonderful doctor because most are just so militant about stopping smoking (and losing weight and these are the ones that have never smoked or never been overweight and don't understand that it's not as easy as : "just stop smoking/eating".)

I wish they had a Smoker's Anonymous like they do AA or NA. I really think t hat having support is key. This is an addiction much like a drug or alcohol addiction. At least for me anyway.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I know quite a few people who are like that MRD - oh just stop smoking, just don't eat so much etc., etc. If it were them I bet they wouldn't be saying it.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3169412;
    I know quite a few people who are like that MRD - oh just stop smoking, just don't eat so much etc., etc. If it were them I bet they wouldn't be saying it.
    Which is why I have some sympathy for people with alcohol problems and drug problems. I don't condone a lot of the actions that they do that they know are wrong (drinking and driving for one), but I know that as an addiction, it's not always so simple to say: Well just stop drinking.

I've always wanted to answer the people that say "oh just stop smoking or quit eating so much" with "well you stop breathing and see how easy it is". Not the same, but it's similar. It's not easy to do.

The psychology of addiction is very interesting. If I had another life, I might have gone into psychology as I find the why we do what we do very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3169388;
    I wish they had a Smoker's Anonymous like they do AA or NA. I really think t hat having support is key. This is an addiction much like a drug or alcohol addiction. At least for me anyway.
    There is Nicotine Anonymous.

Good luck to you and livin4reality.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3169430;
    There is Nicotine Anonymous.

Good luck to you and livin4reality.
    I did not know that. Thank you.

You haven't failed. I can tell that you are still determined to quit and that is what it takes to get the job done. I can almost guarantee that anyone who has ever smoked and quit, DID NOT succeed the first time they tried. I think it was maybe the fifth time for me. So, don't give up. Keep your "I can do it" mentality and keep on trying.

And good luck with your bladder problems. Sounds painful.

+ Reply to Thread