+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

I chew on straws when I'm driving. When I first quit I did it all the time but now it's pretty much confined to road trips.

Anger is a good emotion to feel right now MRD. Completely normal. And it makes me angry for you that your DH wasn't there. I was a bitch for a couple days too. I was angry at how lousy I was feeling. The nicotine withdrawal was hard! I was angry because I was choosing to no longer smoke..and it really really sucked. Because I LIKE to smoke. I enjoyed so much about it. Go ahead and be angry about it. You'll get past those feelings and other emotions will come. I read that you basically have to go through the stages of grief.

Anger, despair, depression, grief and acceptance. You may skip some or they may come out of order. But your emotions are on a rollercoaster right now. Just continue to take it minute by minute. Somewhere along the way you will come out on the other side and you will be a non-smoker.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD - I know that you like to do scrapbooking and make cards. Maybe that would be better than ironing! I wish you the best of luck!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3168303;
    It actually gets easier each day dear. I am on your side, it took me many tries but i think I finally did it this time as you will. Save up if you can the money you DO NOT spend on smokes and come and see Joey.
    That sounds like a plan!

Thanks all.

Snickertink. I was worried about the Chantix as I have clinical depression, but my doctor said it would be ok and honestly other than the Chantix making my mouth dry and eyes dry, I haven't had a problem with it and my depression meds.
    I like your ideas. I need boxing gloves and a punching bag. I think.

Livin, I'm glad to know that anger is ok. I was angry at my husband too, but he had to work and I know that. I know it and yet was still angry at him. The world doesn't revolve around me (no it revolves around my daughter) and my quitting smoking, but it would have been nice to have had him home.

Doxie, I'm having a hard time scrapbooking and making cards. The familial tremor I have has gotten worse, so any intricate work with my hands is more than frustrating at the moment. My hands shake and I can't hold onto all that itty bitty stuff I need to do to make cards or scrapbook. I've been bummed about that for a couple months now. I need something I can do that doesn't require a lot of minute hand control.

The good news is that I feel like I have a new wardrobe as I ironed blouses I haven't worn in months because I hate to iron. So this week, I can wear them all again (and then they will need to be ironed again )
    Last edited by MRD; 08-18-2008 at 07:40 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm not a smoker, but when I get angry (usually because of my kids) I find it is a good time to clean out closets and junk drawers... "I don't need this! What the heck do I need all this junk for! Toss it!". You get the idea.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3168692;
    I'm not a smoker, but when I get angry (usually because of my kids) I find it is a good time to clean out closets and junk drawers... "I don't need this! What the heck do I need all this junk for! Toss it!". You get the idea.
    funny, because that is usually when I deep clean the kitchen!
    Lot of cabinet doors I can slam!

mrd...The important thing to remember is that once you make it through this... AND YOU WILL!.... you will never have to go through it again, IF you don't start smoking again. That's the trick though and you can use it to your advantage. I really think that is the main reason why I never started back up again. I still remember how horrible the first couple of weeks were and I would do anything to not have to live through something like that again.

Despite your anger, it sounds to me like you are doing everything just right. I know it sucks, but the withdrawal is something that you have to go through to make it to the other side. You can do this!!

MRD

Well I am here to confess that I couldn't take it anymore and smoked.

My interstitial cystitis started flaring up again yesterday. It was really bad this time and I had planned for every contingency that might make me want to smoke and how I would handle it except for severe pain. By last night I was miserable and I smoked.
    I can't begin to describe how the bladder pain feels except that I get so tense when I have this kind of pain. I can't sit down or lay down, but tend to pace and it drives everyone here wild including the dogs. I can't stand to be touched when I have the bladder pain. It's weird. I've dealt with sprains, broken bones, sciatica, general aches and pains, surgery, etc. and the bladder pain is so different and I react so differently to it. I can't describe it adequately. And the new pain meds the dr. gave me for it were not effective. They target the bladder only and it gave me no relief. I hardly slept last night I was so uncomfortable.

Fortunately I had an appointment with the urologist today.
    I was in so much pain, that they had to put lidocaine on the catheter before they could put it all the way in, take it out, let the lidocaine work and then put the catheter in. They then put lidocaine in through the catheter and let that sit in the bladder before they could put the medicine (instillation) into my bladder. I told my doctor that I had quit smoking over the weekend and had planned for every contingency but pain and started smoking again.

She said: "I told you 2 weeks ago that this was not the right time for you to quit. I wanted the medicine to have a chance to work on your bladder before you tried to stop smoking. I think I said that you would be setting yourself up for failure if you stopped now."

I couldn't believe it. She did tell me all that, but I thought that I could do it.

I started crying in her office because I had felt like a failure all around in so many ways. She was so good and said: "believe me, I want you to quit more than you want too, but I know enough about the psychology of quitting to know that until we get this problem under control, it's going to make it harder to quit". So she said to let me get through another couple instillations (I have 5 more to go) and then see how I felt and if I was feeling better, then I could quit then. As much as I hate to admit it, she's probably right. As soon as the pain got unbearaqble, I was smoking again. I was up most of the night from the pain too. She did change the medicine to help with the bladder pain today.

So, now I feel like a failure because I told everyone I was quitting and I lasted about 36 hours. I don't know what to do now. At least I'm not smoking as much as I was before. The pack I got yesterday still has quite a few cigarettes in it.

I need to find out if I still take the Chantix, of just quit and start the program all over again in a couple weeks. The urologist didn't know and told me to call my GP.

I am now hanging my head in shame. One of the reasons I want to quit smoking is that I have had lifelong bladder problems and I worry that the smoking will cause me to have bladder cancer (among other illnesses and cancer, but the bladder one is probably my worst fear).

I came home, put on my pj's and got in bed and slept. THey also gave me a little something in the dr. office this morning to help me relax so they could even get the catheter in. I've been feeling a little groggy since I woke up and a lot guilty and just kind of down.

Thanks for letting me confess and vent.

ETA: I wasn't going to come here and admit I failed, but a couple of my FORT friends suggested I come clean because of how supportive everyone has been and then I thought you all HAVE been so supportive that I should tell you all so that when I try this again in a couple weeks, I could hopefully, possibly, still have your support???

It's ok MRD. I'll be here whenever you are ready. Just get to feeling better.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I'm proud of you MRD. I know this is hard and you've been miserable and then in a lot of pain, but your friends here will understand. That's what friends are for.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 08-18-2008 at 07:09 PM.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread