+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Like Tree274Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

THAT is some good advice Arielflies! I will ask my doc. He does require me to test my kidney function often because of the meds. The depression currently is low grade. One I fear coming off of is celexa.
    Chantix says not to use if you have a history of depression etc. I didn't care. I just wanted to quit. hmm also tried hypotisim, cold turkey, slowly tapering, patch, and gum.
    I know that you have to keep trying. But it takes so much energy to keep trying at life. I do thank you for your idea Arielflies and I'll give it a shot.
    Guys, please just ignore everything I've written. OK? please.
    Punkin, Maveno and Cootie like this.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I've never been a smoker so I can't really relate to what you guys are going through.

Ariel, I am SO proud of you! You can and ARE doing it! My dad started to smoke at age 12. Had a major heart attack at age 59 and survived and another smaller one and a mini stroke. Finally at the age of 76, after 64 years of smoking he quit. Not because he wanted to but because he had such a bad case of pneumonia that he wound up in the hospital for 3 weeks and was intubated. Hasn't smoked since and is now 88.

Livin4reality, I really have no words of advice but want to offer my condolences on the loss of your husband. I'm so sorry you are still grieving so deeply and are depressed. All I can do is tell you that people care and I hope you are able to find help and/or the right medication to alleviate your depression.

I'm sending you a great big hug.

I'm putting this here because my best friend here in Costa Mesa has plus or minus six months to live. She is going into Hospice care early per her doctor's advice. This sorrow is here in this thread because she is dying of a combination of Emphysema and Lung Cancer. Eventually, she will choke to death. She quit smoking (with Chantix) seven years ago because of the COPD (Emphysema) and developed the cancer last year. So far she reports no pain, but she is on oxygen 24/7 and has no energy.

I know anyone can contract Lung Cancer; it is not limited to tobacco smokers, but it is poignant when it happens to my friend and years ago now, my father. My mother died of COPD and my father lung to bone cancer. I've been through Hospice with my father so I could prepare her today on what she may expect, though my father died in a different county and it all depends on the people.

I know it is coming, I just don't know which one will take me. BUT, I remain upbeat for her (we've renamed ourselves Sloths as neither of us moves very fast) and we talk about things like how well they did the sloth on the Rose Parade Float. She is lucky to have a husband (who will be even more of a mess) daughters, sisters and sister-in-law. She has said she wants her SIL there toward the end.

Punkin - you should move closer to family...sell the house and rent. I would move close to my brother, but small town Montana is not my thing. So, I lose a friend here, but still have all my friends at Fort and hometown/college friends on Facebook. Virtual...maybe I'll become Max Headroom.
    Punkin, Maveno, Brooks and 2 others like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I see what you did there Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

Thanks for sharing Arielflies.
    Punkin likes this.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Two months down and (according to JosephD) one more to go before the cravings truly fade into the deep background. For some reason, last night when I realized this milestone, I had a hard time with them.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Arielflies, I'm so proud of you! You can do it!!

Wow - I came in here to talk about my recent experience with a smoker. I know "smokers" who smoke when they go out and when they drink but not a SMOKER...2 packs a day habit. The guy I met recently, I mentioned in the other thread who I went out with over a week ago, went for drinks, then lunch, then the movies, well, it didn't last. He's a smoker. Hard core. We didn't even make it through a couple of drinks before having to move to the patio for him to smoke. That was ok. I didn't mind. But then, After a couple of dates, it wears on you, the smell, on your clothes, in your hair, in your car (and he never was in my car), and having to stay outside before going in any place to finish the cigarette or wait outside before leaving to have a cigarette, or he leaves my house and smokes before he drives away. It was really eye opening. I couldn't take it. I was really sorry to drop him, there were other issues than just smoking, and I guess the combination of them all was the real reason that it wouldn't work but geez louise....I don't see how this is a thing 20 somethings pick up today. Those ads on MTV that show you sign a contract that you are a slave to the cigarette ring so true. You really are a slave to when you get a craving and your life is not your own anymore. I'm sorry - I don't mean to offend anyone and Arielflies, add me to the growing list of those that are SOOOO proud of you for quitting!!
    Arielflies likes this.
    Most Likely To Love Her Selfie, While Coloring, Pistol Packin', & Loving Her Boxer Babies

It really is a horrible addiction. Kudos to those trying to kick it, you can do it!
    Arielflies likes this.
    "Blindsided, oh, friendship blindsided you're going home, home!" -Paul BB18

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Two months down and (according to JosephD) one more to go before the cravings truly fade into the deep background. For some reason, last night when I realized this milestone, I had a hard time with them.
    I'm so proud of you, Arielflies.
    Arielflies likes this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

Three months. Yes, Joseph, it is getting better, but the munchies are getting worse. Have to work on that.
    Brooks, beerbelly, Cootie and 2 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread