+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit
    I hate to tell you this but your husbands family may be right. It seemed the more people nagged me about my smoking, the more I wanted to smoke. Sort of that, "You can't tell me what to do, I'll do what I want" mentality. I'm going through this with my husband now. He says he's trying to quit, but he continues to smoke. And he needs to stop because he already has some health issues that are made worse by smoking. It's REALLY hard for me to keep quiet and let him do it himself. But he is the only one who can do it so I try not to nag. :rolleyes
    I know that I can't nag him about it;it'll only make him want to smoke more. Nonetheless, I'm so fed up with him saying that he's going to stop and the next minute, he has a smoke! It's like people who say they're on a diet and then you see them at the drive-through. :rolleyes Don't say you're going to stop if you're not serious. That's my beef with him.

I understand that his family may be right about he'll quit when he's ready to quit-I just don't like how they butt in and try to preach to me. :phhht I hate instigators!

What is it that is so great about smoking that they are willing to put their lives-literally-at stake? Maybe I don't get it because I'm not a smoker. But you know that saying "Where there's a will, there's a way." I realize it is greatly difficult to quit but why wouldn't realizing that you may die from this, give you the will? That's what baffles me.
    I have learned that gifts don't always come wrapped and treasures aren't always buried.
    - Bob Perks

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kaos
    Nonetheless, I'm so fed up with him saying that he's going to stop and the next minute, he has a smoke!
    This I can understand 100%. My husband is doing the exact same thing. He says he's quitting, buys the damn expensive patches and the next thing I know, he smells like smoke. The worst part is that he quit smoking for 4 years and just started up again about a year ago.

And I have no idea why someone would continue to smoke with health problems. My brother-in-law was told by his doctor that he has the early symptoms of emphesyma (spelling??) but he keeps on smoking. His father died of it several years ago and yet he won't stop.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit
    This I can understand 100%. My husband is doing the exact same thing. He says he's quitting, buys the damn expensive patches and the next thing I know, he smells like smoke. The worst part is that he quit smoking for 4 years and just started up again about a year ago.

And I have no idea why someone would continue to smoke with health problems. My brother-in-law was told by his doctor that he has the early symptoms of emphesyma (spelling??) but he keeps on smoking. His father died of it several years ago and yet he won't stop.
    Wow, how stubborn is he huh? I can understand this stressing you out! I can't stand that my husband still thinks of things as him and him only. What he does and the ramifications of what he does is going to impact me too!

I sincerely hope your husband realizes that smoking is not worth it. My advice is to keep encouraging him. What else can a person do in these kinds of cases? I wish that all the cigarettes of the world would disappear!
    I have learned that gifts don't always come wrapped and treasures aren't always buried.
    - Bob Perks

Good for you JunkieGirl.
    I was a smoker for 32 years, smoking 2+ packs a day towards the end. I offer no advice or secret methods other than to echo the wanting to quit. I went cold turkey when I was in the hospital for major colon surgery last year. My last cigarette was Jan. 15, 2003. I knew I would be hospitalized for at least a week and it would have been very difficult to get out of my room and outside to be able to smoke. I figured that I would have way too much else on my mind during that week to worry about cravings. I lived on an IV for that week so I didn't have to worry about the cigarette after dinner or with the morning coffee. I feel so much better now and love the fact that I don't smell like smoke. I really love the money I've saved too! Good luck!

I smoked for about a year, but personally wanted to quit. It was pretty easy for me personally. Had all my friends tell me to stop, whenever I had the urge. Buy candy, something/anything to chew/suck on, instead of lighting up. Treat myself to something every month, bassically I got a lot of support from my friends, I think that's the best way. Good Luck on that!

Count in my support as well!

FORT Fogey
    I'm really proud of you Junkie Girl, and any others trying to/have quit. I'm not a smoker, but I wish you the best of luck and I know you can do it! Look at how much support you have here! Good luck!!!

Re: Quitting Smoking

Thanks to Mantenna for finding this thread for me. If JunkieGirl is out there, did you quit?

So this is day 4 of me not smoking. Um yeah...

Great advice upthread and it is inspiring to read such stories of victory. I have tried many ways to quit..the patch, hypnosis, nictoine inhaler, cutting down on and on. My current method is chantrix and going cold turkey. And drinking lots of water...ice cold through a straw.

One picture I have in my head: If I were to continue smoking I have no doubt I'd be on oxygen in 10 years. Which would be tragic. My DH is on oxygen due to sarcoidosis (same disease Bernic Mac had) and with both of us on oxygen, we would have a right mess keeping all the tubing straight. Not to mention the electric bills and doctor bills.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Good luck, livin4reality. Quitting smoking is tough and remaining quit is tougher, but is certainly worth the effort (and anger and hunger and tears). There is no point in sugar-coating it - it is a painful process. But having been smoke-free for four years now after smoking for 32 years, I can truly say it is the best thing I have ever done for myself. Feeling healthy aside, I now have all sorts of disposable income to squander on treats. Yippee!
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Good for you Rattus. YOu are an inspiration.

Living, just keep taking it a little at a time. I have 2 more days of smoking left until my quit date. So far I haven't dwelled on it too much yet.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread