+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445 LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

You can do this spockwhat! Hang in there! It was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life, but I promise you, you will NOT regret it.
    spockwhat likes this.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Hang in there. I know it is very hard. I have 5 years under my belt this month. The cravings are there, but I know I am better off. Try hot tea, that can help soothe things.
    spockwhat likes this.
    There's no place like home!

spockwhat, I still dream of smoking.......I have not had a cig since last July 17 and hopefully will not. I think it's funny how I dream of the secrecy of smoking and hide it from my loved ones!
    captain and spockwhat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by famita View Post
    spockwhat, I still dream of smoking.......I have not had a cig since last July 17 and hopefully will not. I think it's funny how I dream of the secrecy of smoking and hide it from my loved ones!
    I had smoker's dreams for years after I quit. There was never any secrecy to them. Mostly I felt guilty & disappointed in myself, even after I woke up. They finally went away.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Thanks for the kind words all!

Four days and counting... for some reason, I'm finding this morning very difficult though yesterday was easier overall. My brain is trying to find a way for me to have a smoke right now, telling me I will enjoy it, how much I'm going to miss it, that forever is so permanent, that kind of thing.

I know it's all lies and I have to stay focused on why I quit in the first place, but I'm starting to fantasize that cigarettes are better than they actually are. I'm thinking about what it would feel like to suck back a drag, but the truth is, they actually stink, and that's why I quit and went through that hell of the first three days, yes? It's the stupid nicotine talking. Here's something else the nicotine has tried today: Maybe quitting cold turkey is a mistake. Maybe you should start smoking again and then use Champix or wellbutrin to make this process easier! Seriously, as though going through those first four days again would be easier... it's CRAZY what the addicted mind will try to rationalize!!

Anyway, another day to get through and that will be day five. There is something really nice about day five... it's not just a few days, it feels like almost a week. But I need to focus on today!

BTW, I'm finding Joel Spitzer's videos and the Why quit website to be the most helpful. It's about quitting cold turkey, which I'm doing, (I have an e-cig but the juice is coconut nicotine free) and I find a rarely touch it anyway.
    captain and Cootie like this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

You know what the best part is, Spock? You don't stink! And you can smell how bad those who do stink, do stink! Keep on keeping on! It's all good!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Thanks Punkin!!
    I'm now officially done Hell week! And I do smell good... I've been taking a lot of spa whirlpools, so I smell especially good. lol
    The best thing for me though is my blood pressure used to be consistently around 130/90 (which is ok,) and pulse around 90-100 (not so good). Every time I checked this week at the drugstore it was around 122/82 and pulse 70!! I checked a LOT because it made me feel good to see those numbers, especially the pulse. What a difference a week of quitting can make.

On to heck week. I can't say how much "why quit" with Joel Spitzer has helped. Whenever I had an issue he had a video that addressed it. Also, he makes his videos quite long, (and sometimes humorous), so if you are having a crave, it's usually over by the time you're finished watching.

Here's an article I read last night... something to strengthen my resolve... and pertinent to me, because I have called cigarettes; "friends."

From whyquit .com/whyquit/joelcigfriend
    My Cigarette, My Friend?" by Joel Spitzer

How do you feel about a friend who has to go everywhere with you? Not only does he tag along all the time, but since he is so offensive and vulgar, you become unwelcome when with him. He has a peculiar odor that sticks to you wherever you go. Others think both of you stink.

He controls you totally. When he says jump, you jump. Sometimes in the middle of a blizzard or storm, he wants you to come to the store and pick him up. You would give your spouse hell if he or she did that to you all the time, but you can't argue with your friend. Sometimes, when you are out at a movie or play he says he wants you to go stand in the lobby with him and miss important scenes. Since he calls all the shots in your life, you go. Your friend doesn't like your choice of clothing either. Instead of politely telling you that you have lousy taste, he burns little holes in these items so you will want to throw them out. Sometimes, he tires of the furniture and gets rid of it too. Occasionally, he gets really nasty and decides the whole house must go.

He gets pretty expensive to support. Not only is his knack of property destruction costly, but you must pay to keep him with you. In fact, he will cost you thousands of dollars over your lifetime. And you can count on one thing, he will never pay you a penny in return.

Often at picnics you watch others playing vigorous activities and having lots of fun doing them. But your friend won't let you. He doesn't believe in physical activity. In his opinion, you are too old to have that kind of fun. So he kind of sits on your chest and makes it difficult for you to breathe. Now you don't want to go off and play with other people when you can't breathe, do you?

Your friend does not believe in being healthy. He is really repulsed by the thought of you living a long and productive life. So every chance he gets he makes you sick. He helps you catch colds and flu. Not just by running out in the middle of the lousy weather to pick him up at the store. He is more creative than that. He carries thousands of poisons with him which he constantly blows in your face. When you inhale some of them, they wipe out cilia in your lungs which would have helped you prevent these diseases.

But colds and flu are just his form of child's play. He especially likes diseases that slowly cripple you - like emphysema. He considers this disease great. Once he gets you to have this, you will give up all your other friends, family, career goals, activities - everything. You will just sit home and caress him, telling him what a great friend he is while you desperately gasp for air.

But eventually your friend tires of you. He decides he no longer wishes to have your company. Instead of letting you go your separate ways, he decides to kill you. He has a wonderful arsenal of weapons behind him. In fact, he has been plotting your death since the day you met him. He picked all the top killers in society and did everything in his power to ensure you would get one of them. He overworked your heart and lungs. He clogged up the arteries to your heart, brain, and every other part of your body. In case you were too strong to succumb to this, he constantly exposed you to cancer causing agents. He knew he would get you sooner or later.

Well, this is the story of your "friend," your cigarette. No real friend would do all this to you. Cigarettes are the worst possible enemies you ever had. They are expensive, addictive, socially unacceptable, and deadly. Consider all this and NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Joel
    Punkin and Miss Scarlet like this.

Wow! What sticker shock! Cigarettes are $11.50 a pack here in Maui. DH was floored! If only they cost that much in California, I'll bet I could get him to quit.
    Ellen and wannasee like this.

That is a yard of quilting fabric! Glad I quit.
    Ellen and spockwhat like this.
    There's no place like home!

They are around that where I'm from in Canada too. I'm feeling like all the Tim's decaf coffee I've been buying is quite justified considering the money I'm saving!

Btw, almost three and a half weeks and doing better all the time. Except Monday mornings, but who really does well on Monday mornings anyway?

Punkin, I really hope your DH can find it in his heart to quit. I'm sure it stresses you out.
    Punkin, Lil Bit and Cootie like this.

+ Reply to Thread