+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445 LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    My husband, who is a smoker, has just been hospitalized with pneumonia for the third time. I have GOT to find some way to convince him to quit smoking for good. I just don't know how to do it. I know that it is something that he has to do himself and to do that he has to want to do it, but it's just so frustrating to me that he would endanger his health and his life in this way.
    Many years ago, when I finally decided to quit smoking, I didn't do it because anyone pressured or hounded me to. It had nothing to do with non-smoking areas, or people who didn't like smoke in their house, or people who made those pickle-faces whenever I lit up. If anything those things made me determined to do whatever I darned well pleased, just out of stubbornness.

I quit for 1 reason: I decided I wanted to quit. It wasn't healthy & my small children deserved better. I was ready, completely of my own decision. I made the decision that as much as I enjoyed smoking, I was going to live my life without ever doing it again. I just quit, cold turkey, right then & there. That was before the days of e-cigarettes. It was tough, real tough, but the decision was made & that was that.

Maybe instead of trying to convince him, you could try talking to him about it & ask him why he doesn't want to quit. Maybe, like I did, he really does enjoy smoking. Maybe he's in denial about what it's doing to him.
    But in the end, it has to be his decision. When it is & it's time, let him know you'll be supportive.
    spockwhat and Photobabe like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Many years ago, when I finally decided to quit smoking, I didn't do it because anyone pressured or hounded me to. It had nothing to do with non-smoking areas, or people who didn't like smoke in their house, or people who made those pickle-faces whenever I lit up. If anything those things made me determined to do whatever I darned well pleased, just out of stubbornness.

I quit for 1 reason: I decided I wanted to quit. It wasn't healthy & my small children deserved better. I was ready, completely of my own decision. I made the decision that as much as I enjoyed smoking, I was going to live my life without ever doing it again. I just quit, cold turkey, right then & there. That was before the days of e-cigarettes. It was tough, real tough, but the decision was made & that was that.

Maybe instead of trying to convince him, you could try talking to him about it & ask him why he doesn't want to quit. Maybe, like I did, he really does enjoy smoking. Maybe he's in denial about what it's doing to him.
    But in the end, it has to be his decision. When it is & it's time, let him know you'll be supportive.
    "people who made those pickle-faces whenever I lit up." that made me laugh out loud. I remember that well, and the people who waved their hands and arms around to dissipate smoke that was nowhere near them.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Hubby got out of the hospital on Monday and so far, (I think) he's doing good. I think he may have cheated a time or two, but I got him some nicotine patches and he is trying. That's all I can ask. I do admit to playing a little dirty though, because I've got our two granddaughters on my side and they are encouraging him to quit also. I know he will listen to them way more than me.

I quit smoking 15 years ago and I still remember how hard it was. The problem is... when you stop smoking, no matter what "helps" you use, you STILL have to climb the mountain. And if you keep sneaking cigarettes, the mountain will never get smaller. It seems insurmountable at first, but it can be done. The first couple of weeks are horrible though and I think that you just have to convince yourself that you have to go through it to get to the other side. There is no other way.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Hubby got out of the hospital on Monday and so far, (I think) he's doing good. I think he may have cheated a time or two, but I got him some nicotine patches and he is trying. That's all I can ask. I do admit to playing a little dirty though, because I've got our two granddaughters on my side and they are encouraging him to quit also. I know he will listen to them way more than me.

I quit smoking 15 years ago and I still remember how hard it was. The problem is... when you stop smoking, no matter what "helps" you use, you STILL have to climb the mountain. And if you keep sneaking cigarettes, the mountain will never get smaller. It seems insurmountable at first, but it can be done. The first couple of weeks are horrible though and I think that you just have to convince yourself that you have to go through it to get to the other side. There is no other way.
    Have you talked to him about the electronic cigarettes? I know a number of people who have used them, starting with the medium or low nicotine & working their way down to the no nicotine. Then it's just a matter of habit & if they want to give that up.
    The better brands have way less of the chemicals so are much more healthy, even if he doesn't want to entirely quit. You have to do a little research to find these.
    Photobabe likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Continued good luck and best wishes to your husband and your family. It helps to have that loving support ... and to help him avoid the triggers ... but you are right about the rest.

Mohandas Gandhi

Just bumping for a couple of reasons .... it was 16 months for me yesterday... I also thought it would make an excellent resolution to quit in 2014 ... or continue to "stay quit ") !
    Punkin, CantGetNuf, Cootie and 1 others like this.

Mohandas Gandhi

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Very depressing the stuff that's coming out about e-cigs now---not just that many of them may have carcinogens...and other bad stuff as mentioned above (hopefully not all brands--too bad the articles are aways fuzzy on which kind were studied), but that they are becoming a gateway to smoking for teens. Too bad as they seemed to really help a lot of people here.
    Last edited by PWS; 02-03-2014 at 11:43 PM.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LilBit
    The first couple of weeks are horrible though and I think that you just have to convince yourself that you have to go through it to get to the other side. There is no other way.
    I'm working myself up to quit. I quit once for three years back in my thirties, so I know what you've said here is exactly IT. I found last time was to see every hour, every minute passed without a cigarette was a victory... and the further you go, the less you want to throw away the effort you've put in. I'm an otherwise very healthy person, active, eat well, etc. It's time to drop my last big crutch... I'm picking a date for within the next two weeks... and I'm quitting for GOOD.
    Punkin and Lil Bit like this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Good luck. I am 5 years this week. But I know if I ever smoke just one, it will be like I never stopped.
    There's no place like home!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

35 hours and 10 minutes and counting...

Yesterday was hellish. I never cry but had it twice where I couldn't keep from breaking down and having a good cry. I also was really, really nauseous and couldn't eat supper except I choked down some saltines and a cup of chamomile. I know I'm through half of the worst of it so I'm going to keep counting those minutes and hours til I hit 72 hours and KNOW I've come through the worst and can keep going.

I find playing arcade here is a good distraction, which is nice. I'm trying not to post much because I'm a little touchy () I had spent all of last week cutting down and was a little touchy last week already. But it's all good. I can do this thing.
    Cootie likes this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

+ Reply to Thread