+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3233343536373839404142434445 LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

The nurse told me the brand to get ... but I lost it in the transition from hospital to home.

I just want to add that if you are trying to quit smoking ... use whatever you think will help. My cousin's wife ended up using Chantix and is still smoke free after more than a year.

One interesting thing is while in the hospital ... I was a fearful nervous wreck. The nurse in that unit offered me a tranquilizer such as Valium and I refused. He then said how bout I get you the patches 'just to take the edge off." I now wonder if a mild, low dose tranquilizer might help some people qiit.

I am also wondering if the patch might help non-smokers who have anxiety.

Hmmm! Okay ... everybody keep doing well at this.
    Punkin likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

The patch helped me...I don't know if it would help everyone.
    Punkin likes this.

The patch, the gum, nothing worked for me except the e cigs. I think my addiction had as much to do with the activity as with the nicotine.
    Punkin and ilja like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    The patch, the gum, nothing worked for me except the e cigs. I think my addiction had as much to do with the activity as with the nicotine.
    I understand ... because when my routine changed ... after my fall and fracture ... I just no longer had the triggers. Strange.

Anyway ... today makes 14 months of Smoke Free living!

Thanks for tolerating my "reports" here.
    Hyper, Cootie, ilja and 2 others like this.

Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I understand ... because when my routine changed ... after my fall and fracture ... I just no longer had the triggers. Strange.

Anyway ... today makes 14 months of Smoke Free living!

Thanks for tolerating my "reports" here.
    Tolerating has nothing to do with it. You need a place to cheer. This is as good as any. Any of us who have smoked in the past know how hard it is & the lingering cravings.
    You should be proud of yourself.
    Cootie and ilja like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Does anyone know where is the best place to get non-nicotine filters? I use a brand "Premium" that I buy at a little market that I love. They have all sorts of flavors and my favorite is vanilla because it's not too strong but is rather refreshing. Unfortunately, it still had nicotine in it and I want to cut out all nicotine. I've been quit since July 27th, 2012 thanks to these e-cigs.

Thanks for starting this thread. How is the poster doing that started it?
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

Ilja, if the brand you like doesn't carry 0 nicotine cartridges you are out of luck unless you switch brands. The cartridges are not interchangeable between brands. I use the V2 brand, available over the internet. They carry most of their flavors in 0 nicotine. And yes, they do have vanilla with no nicotine.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by ilja View Post
    Does anyone know where is the best place to get non-nicotine filters? I use a brand "Premium" that I buy at a little market that I love. They have all sorts of flavors and my favorite is vanilla because it's not too strong but is rather refreshing. Unfortunately, it still had nicotine in it and I want to cut out all nicotine. I've been quit since July 27th, 2012 thanks to these e-cigs.

Thanks for starting this thread. How is the poster doing that started it?
    Junkiegirl started this thread in 2004! We revived it here recently just to brag.

Right now Junkiegirls is in the The Voice forum ... so maybe you can PM invite her in here to post status?

Mohandas Gandhi

My husband, who is a smoker, has just been hospitalized with pneumonia for the third time. I have GOT to find some way to convince him to quit smoking for good. I just don't know how to do it. I know that it is something that he has to do himself and to do that he has to want to do it, but it's just so frustrating to me that he would endanger his health and his life in this way.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    My husband, who is a smoker, has just been hospitalized with pneumonia for the third time. I have GOT to find some way to convince him to quit smoking for good. I just don't know how to do it. I know that it is something that he has to do himself and to do that he has to want to do it, but it's just so frustrating to me that he would endanger his health and his life in this way.
    LilBit ... 2 things

1) If he is in the hospital... he is not smoking there so he has already quit albeit involuntarily, for a day or two, correct?

2) Encourage him to quit for one day voluntarily. The timing here is a benefit. The Third Thursday of November, every year ... is the Great American Smokeout Day

HERE is more info: Great American Smokeout Day - History | American Cancer Society

Perhaps that is a starting place? That site, of course has many suggestions and tips.

If you read back a little here you'll see that people used different things ... You may be aware of what his "triggers" are. I have to admit that before I quit ... one of my triggers was people talking about smoking and trying to convince me to quit!

If he is willing to take some steps toward quitting and has your support in his effort ... success is within reach.

I consider myself incredibly lucky that I rarely feel that craving.

Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread