+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

Tomorrow will be one month for me! That's about $300 saved! We are heading back to Maui in May for our 10th anniversary (we were married on Makena Beach near Wailea in May 2004) and that will be 9 months of savings adding up to about $2700 and easily paying for our trip. Now, that's an incentive!

Oh, and I smell better! Keep up the good work Non-smokers!

Thanks for the support and inspiration!
    Ellen, Hyper and Cootie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Tomorrow will be one month for me! That's about $300 saved! We are heading back to Maui in May for our 10th anniversary (we were married on Makena Beach near Wailea in May 2004) and that will be 9 months of savings adding up to about $2700 and easily paying for our trip. Now, that's an incentive!

Oh, and I smell better! Keep up the good work Non-smokers!

Thanks for the support and inspiration!
    Back at you and ... Congratulations ! I remember how good that first month milestone felt for me. Be Proud !

I love dropping it into conversations. It surprises me that people are so happy to hear it.

Hey! Look. It's tomorrow already!
    Punkin likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

The 24th will be 13 months of Smoke free living. The last couple of weeks I have had some "urges" that are triggered by strange things.
    The other day I walked out and my young(er) across the street neighbor was sitting on her front porch ... and my mind went to when we would each be sitting on our porch smoking. So I mentioned to her that seeing her made me want a cigarette. She said ... but I'm not smoking right now. I asked her if she had quit ... she said not completely bet she was trying! Yay! She has a five year old little girl and a new puppy ... so hopefully the whole family will have healthy lungs!

I was at a baby shower yesterday and some of the ladies took "smoke breaks".

It again felt good to have people say, congratulations & good for you when I mentioned that I had quit.

I want to reach that milestone where I feel can say "I don't smoke" ,,, like that guy on the Chantix commercial .

I hope everyone else is doing well with it,. Check in every so often and brag a little
    PWS and Cootie like this.

Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    The 24th will be 13 months of Smoke free living. The last couple of weeks I have had some "urges" that are triggered by strange things.
    The other day I walked out and my young(er) across the street neighbor was sitting on her front porch ... and my mind went to when we would each be sitting on our porch smoking. So I mentioned to her that seeing her made me want a cigarette. She said ... but I'm not smoking right now. I asked her if she had quit ... she said not completely bet she was trying! Yay! She has a five year old little girl and a new puppy ... so hopefully the whole family will have healthy lungs!

I was at a baby shower yesterday and some of the ladies took "smoke breaks".

It again felt good to have people say, congratulations & good for you when I mentioned that I had quit.

I want to reach that milestone where I feel can say "I don't smoke" ,,, like that guy on the Chantix commercial .

I hope everyone else is doing well with it,. Check in every so often and brag a little
    Please do brag, that is quite an accomplishment! You deserve to feel proud of what you have done to help yourself be healthier. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    Please do brag, that is quite an accomplishment! You deserve to feel proud of what you have done to help yourself be healthier. Good job!

Thank you, Cootie.

It is still so strange to me because I am just so stunned that I have been able to do this.

About the "bragging" ... I was hoping some others would also come to brag ... or for some encouragement to try again

Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I'm still bragging in my mind, but I( want to get to the point of not WANTING to smoke, and I'm not there yet. I'll get into the car after a rough day at work and be so ANGRY that i'm not smoking because I WANT to so badly....

famita - Prepare yourself for the fact that you may not ever *not* want to smoke. I quit in 1998, and I still sometimes want to smoke. Even though the smell disgusts me now. I don't have any physical need for a cigarette and I know that if I ever tried to smoke again, it would make me sick, but sometimes I just *want* to. I know I'm not explaining it very well.
    captain and Hyper like this.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    famita - Prepare yourself for the fact that you may not ever *not* want to smoke. I quit in 1998, and I still sometimes want to smoke. Even though the smell disgusts me now. I don't have any physical need for a cigarette and I know that if I ever tried to smoke again, it would make me sick, but sometimes I just *want* to. I know I'm not explaining it very well.
    I get small "waves" of those urges ... and they pass quickly.

My Doctor told me it might help to have that nicotine gum around to chew if it was a big urge ... but I think mine was less about the nicotine and more about the habit.

Just stick to it.

Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    There was a home page story on yahoo about e-cigarettes. Supposedly e-cigarettes contain as many carcinogens as real cigarettes.
    I've been wondering about this. The reason is that I have read lots of people who have smoked for their entire life be able to quit due to the E-cig. I don't know much about it, but they said you could gradually decrease the amount of stuff in the e-cig until you are using nothing but steam. How could just steam be unhealthy? Just curious.

My niece's boyfriend is only 23 years old, but a constant smoker. It's very troubling. My niece lives with him, so I am worried about her too. I don't know if he wants to stop or not. I thought I might ask my niece if he does and suggest the E-cig, since I've heard so much about it. If he doesn't want to quit, then I won't suggest it. Do you think this is being too presumptious? I think smokers have the right to smoke and not be treated like a criminal, but I do wonder why this young man picked up smoking in this day and age.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I've been wondering about this. The reason is that I have read lots of people who have smoked for their entire life be able to quit due to the E-cig. I don't know much about it, but they said you could gradually decrease the amount of stuff in the e-cig until you are using nothing but steam. How could just steam be unhealthy? Just curious.

My niece's boyfriend is only 23 years old, but a constant smoker. It's very troubling. My niece lives with him, so I am worried about her too. I don't know if he wants to stop or not. I thought I might ask my niece if he does and suggest the E-cig, since I've heard so much about it. If he doesn't want to quit, then I won't suggest it. Do you think this is being too presumptious? I think smokers have the right to smoke and not be treated like a criminal, but I do wonder why this young man picked up smoking in this day and age.
    I did a search with keywords "harm of e-cigarettes." The e-cigarettes contain carcinogens and a chemical that's used in antifreeze. They've done tests on people who have just smoked e-cigarettes and found out that their breathing is impaired after smoking the cigarettes. Some e-cigarettes have flavors, such as vanilla and strawberry. (I read that in some places it's legal for children to buy e-cigarettes). E-cigarette companies are spending a lot on advertising. When I did the search, some of the articles had positive things to say about e-cigarettes... but, before I saw the story on yahoo's home page, I thought that everything about e-cigarettes was positive.

+ Reply to Thread