+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Alright, alright! Seeing this thread in the "New Posts" list for the past several days has reminded me to quit again. It's 7:15am and I have three cigarettes left. So, today's the day. I have the e-cigarette (charging up), Nicotrol inhalers (like a nicotine binky to suck on) and I have patches. It's not too difficult to quit for me. But, living with two smokers who have no desire to quit, I have a hard time staying quit. I'll get my nails done in a couple of hours and then come home and stay in for three to four days and I'll be OK. I just wish I could get the others to quit with me. Thanks all for bringing this thread to my attention. I've been up to two packs a day this last month just sitting at my laptop feeding my Summer BB addiction. It's a good time to deal with the smoking addiction!
    The best thing that I did was stop smoking inside of the house.

That is how I cut back. It's a pain, but once I started ... I didn't cheat.

You could make that a house rule for the other smokers in your house ... that is only outdoor smoking ... period.
    I also don't "allow" it in my house. Outside ... or in the garage with the door open if its raining.

I just want to add That I have empathy for smokers ... and also try to have some tolerance ... although the smell of smoke really bothers me now. I never realized I stunk so much.
    Last edited by echo226; 08-13-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Thanks, Echo! Yep, I've reinstituted the no smoking in the house policy which works well during the day tough I'll sometimes notice one or two bathrooms smell like someone didn't want t go out at night to have a quick one. I appreciate the monetary and health benefits of not smoking, but appreciate even more not smelling like crap when quit. Especially when I can smell others when I'm not smoking.The last time I started smoking again was last May when we were on a cruise. Dumb.

Doing fine today. Wearing a patch and I made a bunch of carrot sticks and apple slices for when I want to reach for a cigarette. Took a small Xanax to take the edge off and am not suffering at all. Have some nice grapes and raspberries to graze on tomorrow. :>)
    Ellen, echo226, Cootie and 2 others like this.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I switched to the e-cig last April and on the first day I stopped coughing. Just stopped. Turns out I was allergic to inhaling tobacco smoke. Though still addicted to nicotine, I haven't had an urge to smoke tobacco and have even walked through a cloud without drooling.

I was smoking 13 cigarettes a day and it is difficult to judge how much that is with the e-cig cartridge, which at 20 mg nictotine is supposed to be one pack of cigarettes. So far it has taken me three days to go through one cartridge. It is also less expensive as the cartridges come in boxes of five, which equals half a carton. So, two boxes is a carton and the brand I use (Jet) is $27.00 as opposed to $50 for a carton of cigarettes.

Next step is to wean off the addiction, but that will be difficult. Changing out tobacco for nicotine flipped a switch in my brain and made it think I was quitting. Over a two week period I gained ten pounds, just as if I had quit all together. I am at an age where it is even more difficult to lose weight and I'm upset about the gain. Whatever, I'm not coughing and my kidney function has improved. I'm also growing more scalp hair and my blood vessels improve blood flow.

A downside to the cartridges is the inhale/exhale is water vapor and it is sticky so your lungs feel sticky. But, that seems to be the only downside.
    Punkin and Cootie like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I switched to the e-cig last April and on the first day I stopped coughing. Just stopped. Turns out I was allergic to inhaling tobacco smoke. Though still addicted to nicotine, I haven't had an urge to smoke tobacco and have even walked through a cloud without drooling.

I was smoking 13 cigarettes a day and it is difficult to judge how much that is with the e-cig cartridge, which at 20 mg nictotine is supposed to be one pack of cigarettes. So far it has taken me three days to go through one cartridge. It is also less expensive as the cartridges come in boxes of five, which equals half a carton. So, two boxes is a carton and the brand I use (Jet) is $27.00 as opposed to $50 for a carton of cigarettes.

Next step is to wean off the addiction, but that will be difficult. Changing out tobacco for nicotine flipped a switch in my brain and made it think I was quitting. Over a two week period I gained ten pounds, just as if I had quit all together. I am at an age where it is even more difficult to lose weight and I'm upset about the gain. Whatever, I'm not coughing and my kidney function has improved. I'm also growing more scalp hair and my blood vessels improve blood flow.

A downside to the cartridges is the inhale/exhale is water vapor and it is sticky so your lungs feel sticky. But, that seems to be the only downside.
    I am just wondering if maybe alternation\g between an e-cig and chewing a piece of gum might work to help you wean yourself?
    I am still stunned that I actually quit.

As for the weight gain ... my doctor actually said she would rather have me waddle than smoke.
    She said the weight I gained was due to quitting ... but said to please not start again in order to lose weight.

I mentioned the blood flow was a "reward" for me too.

I have actually dreamed I was smoking ... and in the dream I knew I shouldn't be!
    Last edited by echo226; 08-14-2013 at 01:23 AM.

Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Thanks, Echo! Yep, I've reinstituted the no smoking in the house policy which works well during the day tough I'll sometimes notice one or two bathrooms smell like someone didn't want t go out at night to have a quick one. I appreciate the monetary and health benefits of not smoking, but appreciate even more not smelling like crap when quit. Especially when I can smell others when I'm not smoking.The last time I started smoking again was last May when we were on a cruise. Dumb.

Doing fine today. Wearing a patch and I made a bunch of carrot sticks and apple slices for when I want to reach for a cigarette. Took a small Xanax to take the edge off and am not suffering at all. Have some nice grapes and raspberries to graze on tomorrow. :>)
    I have heard tht the people who eventually quit and are successful at staying smoke free .... are the ones who keep trying.

I am a little nervous about the fact that the occasional urges haven't stopped ... but they pass and usually fairly quickly.

Mohandas Gandhi

Echo, the occasional urges probably will NEVER stop. I had lunch last week with a friend who had quit 20 years ago. We walked past a smoker near the entrance to a restaurant and my friend commented that the smell of the smoke made her wish for a cigarette! Usually, when I smell cigarette smoke it just annoys me, but occasionally it makes me want a "real" cig instead of an e-cig. The feeling passes quickly. but it is real. Once an addict, always an addict. If you give in to the urge you will quickly be back where you started.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Ellen, my sister developed asthma maybe 15 years ago. She would at times have to go to Kaiser for inhalation treatments and just struggle to breathe. But she could never quit smoking. She died 2 years ago of pancreatic cancer, probably related to smoking. She was my lifelong BFF. I had been off the horrible things for 2+ years, but her loss made me start up again. Stupid, I know. But it's like there is this little devil that sits on your shoulder and just waits for an excuse to pull you back in. Stoopid!

Echo, I don't know what makes folks gain weight when they quit, but it might be that food tastes better or food is used as a substitute. I never snack. I just don't ever want to. But when I'm quitting I know it is easier to have a little something for those times you reach for a cigarette. I love fresh fruit, especially berries, so I will prepare a dish with berries, grapes or bite sized pieces of whatever is in season to keep handy for when I have a craving. I never gain weight when I quit. Maybe because I don't turn to chips or ice cream (which I never care for anyway) to satisfy cravings. After 3 to 4 days, the nicotine is out of your system (unless using a nicotine substitute) and it gets easier every day. I'm wearing a patch again today, but plan to try staying away from my substitutes after today. Just prolongs the addiction. The toughest thing for me is living with two smokers so it's just too easy to have one of theirs. I give them a big lecture that, even if I ask, they are NOT to give me one. And I just stay at home for a week so I'm not tempted t break down and buy a pack at a weak moment. DH doesn't mind doing the shopping. (He knows that after shopping he gets to stop in at Malloy's Tavern for a couple of beers and TV sports with his old cronies. I call tat "Me Time".) :>)

Also, you might ask your MD for a small prescription for Xanax to take the edge off the craving in the first few weeks. I have a standing RX for them because my 45 yo Bipolar son lives with us and my life becomes a crazy circus at times with him. (There should be a thread here for those of us who deal with those issues.)

So, Cheers! to all of us! I'm happy to have this thread to come to for encouragement and discussion.

Punkin ... I have always been a snacker and a "grazer" ... but some of my problem was the inability to exercise.

Now that I am able to excise some ... I find it is also easier to eat than to exercise.

I am very jealous that you never gain weight. I was excited that I lost some weight being in the hospital, with the proper diet there
    as well as the Physical therapy. So I thought I had a head start ... but I put on what I lost and then some.

I have always been thin-ish and could eat what I want but not any more. It's extra difficult when you are small-framed and carrying extra weight on your knees and now ... my repaired hip.!

Pardon the negativity. In 10 days it will be one year smoke-free so I will keep my eyes on that prize ... and as an "Anniversary" present,, maybe work on a good diet plan for myself. I have to watch with fruit snacks tho' ... because I'll want to eat a whole bag of grapes with a hunk of cheese and some bread!

Mohandas Gandhi

LOL, Echo. I didn't say I never gain weight. I only don't gain from quitting smoking. I'd sure love to get rid of that 15+ lbs. I've put on since I quit Curves 5 years ago when I retired and got too lazy to do what I used to love at Curves before I turned into a lazy slug! It was so easy to hit Curves before work or at lunchtime. But now retired there is no Curves within 12 miles from me (many closer have closed), but if you have one nearby you might check it out. It's great. No men. Women of all sizes. Easy 1/2 hour routine 3 times a week. I often wish I would get back to it.

OT - Is there a hobby thread here? I looked for one some time ago and didn't find one. I am a beader (make jewelry with sparkly, shiny beads) and would love to find others to post with. As soon as BB is over I will start making 20 to 30 pair of gorgeous earrings to donate to the Ronald MacDonald's Center at Stanford for sick children to give to their mothers for Christmas. I've been doing that for the last few years. Small effort on my part, but I hear the kids love this. I put the earrings on my 'brand' earring cards Bada Bling (think Sopranos. Bada Bing - {I]Bada BLing. Clever, no? Yessssss!!) And I put them in gift boxes so the kids can open and see them and I include a piece of Xmas wrapping paper and a ribbon so the kids can wrap the boxes themselves. I am not religious, but I love crafting for Christmas!

Back to Not smoking - Day 2. Doing OK. Maybe a little cranky, but keeping it to myself. Took a few hits off my electronic thing for the oral fixation.
    Photobabe and Eastcoastmom like this.

How is everyone doing? I just did not want to let this thread fall in some virtual crack!

One year ago today, August 23, 2012 at 11:30 am CDST I had my last cigarette.

Tomorrow will be the one year Anniversary of my first whole day of being smoke free.
    Ellen, justCoz and Cootie like this.

Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread