+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

I didn't want to minimize Dragonlady's accomplishment by making my congratulations post about me instead of her.

It has been 30 days since my first e-cig. I cheated only once because I forgot to bring it with me and I'm here to tell you, the analog cig was NOT GOOD. I definitely prefer the e-cigs now.

My surgery is done - I was in and out in less than 24 hours thanks to the magic of laparoscopy. My volleyball-sized uterus is gone and I don't smoke a pack a day anymore. W00T!!!!!

Arielflies - did you give it a go??
    Ellen likes this.

Hooray to you, G.G.!!!!!
    Heck, even one day off real cigs is an accomplishment, given how much lousy stuff in them. It's not a coincidence that it's extremely difficult to quit the habit. It's a planned attack for getting more money from people who are hooked.
    Please do not worry about congratulating yourself here. It's a HUGE thing and all us ex-smokers truly understand what a great achievement it is.
    I'm so thankful for e-cigs....don't know if I would have been strong enough without them. I may use them a lot but who cares? It does it for me and my lungs are very happy campers now...as are yours!
    To here's to us!!

Congrats to both Dragonlady and G.G.!!

I have been cigarette free for almost 2 years now. I think I have mentioned on here, however, that I can't seem to get off the nicotine patches. I know it is better than smoking - but they are expensive too. And while it is not doing the same damage to my body that the cigarettes were doing, I have to imagine it is doing something! Anyway, we are going on vacation in a week and I am thinking that is the perfect time for me to try to get off the patches AGAIN! I have a really high stress job, so I never seem to be able to make it more than a weekend. Monday morning comes and I crack by about lunchtime. So, with being gone for 9 days, I should be able to get past the worst of it before I have to head back to work. Wish me luck!!

Good luck, Katesmom! If you wish to get off the patches, I sincerely hope the vacation time will work for you. I completely understand your feelings....I'm the same way with the e-cigs. But I console my doubts by remembering that last year when in the hospital and almost dying, both my Cardiologist and my Pulmonary doctor convinced me to try the e-cig and use them. I really think that if nicotine was damaging to us, they would have mentioned it but all they said was "Everyone has addictions. That's how we're made but no one dies from nicotine." (assuming that you use it w/moderation, as with all things...I'm sure massive amounts are harmful but don't know.)

Katesmom - go read Wikipedia about nicotine. It isn't NEARLY as bad as the other stuff in tobacco, unless you overdose on it. It is being researched for Alzheimers and Parkinson's, and may help reduce breast cancer risk, among other things. Try the e-cig - it will get you off the patches!
    Photobabe likes this.

Well, back from vacation and I have been patch free for 12 days! I thought the withdrawals would be the hardest part, but honestly, it has been the last two days. While I was on vacation, I handled it. Now, being back in my routine at work, there are habits that have to be broken. But over the vacation, my 4yo broke her arm at the elbow and had to have surgery. She is in a cast from shoulder to wrist. I just keep telling myself that if I could survive that without a patch or a cigarette, then I can work through breaking these habits here at work!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Aww, sorry about your little one, KatesMom. Good to hear, though, that you are doing well with getting off the nicotine patches.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I am SO impressed with you all---and with the e-cigs that seem to be helping so many. I wish they had been around 20 years ago for one of my best work friends...died must be 15 years ago now of lung cancer.

Can it be that they work for everyone? Or are there people reading here who've tried them and they didn't work for them, but they/you just aren't commenting because they/you don't want to discourage others for whom they might work from trying them? (If you followed that sentence....) If they are THIS good why are they not all over the news???? Yeah, I know the new health issue is obesity (now how about e-food?? ), but surely tobacco addiction is still a big story.

Thank you Ellen for mentioning this thread.

I am bumping it because famita may want to read it.

I think quitting on the buddy system can help and there are so many posts here ... I am hoping most here have successfully remained smoke free and if not will try again.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I will be smoke free in September! The e-cigs have been a life saver for me.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

+ Reply to Thread