+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
    Wow. I haven't been here in months and when I finally do log back on, I clicked on this forum (after Bachelor and Survivor, of course.)

It's crazy - I'm sitting here with actual tears in my eyes, reading this thread. Here's something I've never admitted online, anywhere. I smoke. I started when I was 23 and I'm 44 now. I smoke usually about a half a pack a day, but if my stress level is particularly high, I've been known to smoke nearly a pack.

I know I need to quit. I'm finding myself losing my breath faster and have started freaking out about dying, I smell like smoke, my car smells like smoke (because I won't smoke in the house), I'm spending money on smokes and I'm damn sick of my family lecturing me about smoking.

The problem is, even though I know I need to quit...I don't want to quit. I want smoking to somehow not be bad for me. I know that's not possible...so I need to figure out how to quit. And I need to do it without committing heinous bodily harm to my unemployed mother who is living with me...and drives me more insane than any person I know on earth (but whom I love dearly.)

I tried the patch - totally and completely worthless for me. Then I tried gum. The gum worked better in that I was doing something...but I had a difficult time parking it instead of chewing it. For me, gum = chewing and popping.

I'm going in for a hysterectomy on April 2nd. And no, it's not a bad thing. It's a joyous thing - I will finally be undeniably and irrevocably free of fibroids FOREVER (I had 30 of them removed 10 years ago). I won't have all the female issues I have now, and I may even be able to sleep through the night without having to pee three times a night because my 20-week pregnancy-sized uterus is pressing on my bladder. I'm havin' a hyster, syster! I couldn't be happier...and I'm trying to decide if that's also the time to quit smoking.

My doctor will write me a prescription for Chantix the week before if I want. I'm worried that the side effects I've read about will manifest themselves in the form of wanting to do great bodily harm to above-mentioned unemployed mother. I love her, but she is a TERRIBLE roomie. My house is a walking disaster since she moved in. As we speak, she's watching TV and the big pot of spaghetti that she cooked for dinner is slowly congealing on my stove. CLEAN THE DANG MESS UP, MOM!

Then I read about ya'lls experience with e-cigs. Are those the way to go? I'm scared to death to quit. What if I can't do it? I've done everything I ever set my mind to...except quitting smoking. I know I need to. My gramma died at 68 from emphysema. She was on oxygen for 10 years before that and never quit smoking, just took off the oxygen to do it. Maybe it's beyond worrying about quitting - perhaps the harm is already done.
    True confession time as I wait for my cardio stress test time to get here. I've smoked a pack a day for 45 years and half a pack a day for 3 years. The damage is done. The asthma will soon be termed COPD and with diabetes, kidney and now a possible heart problem, I'm all stressed out. I know I need to quit because if I do have to go in hospital I remember the four days without a cig during my hysterectomy for fibroids and it was brutal. I've never heard a clock tick so loud and I cried the whole time - a combination of morphine and withdrawal. I've bought the patch which sits in my linen closet, but I would really like to quit cold turkey. My problem at the moment is that I'm an emotional smoker and eater and the stress of this test and the nuclear one tomorrow has taken me into panic and depression. I need to find that calm space. I am going to do it.

Thirty-five years after my father quit, he died of lung cancer. Twenty years after my mother quit, she died of COPD.

I know it's too late, but I'm going to try anyway.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Ariel, I am truly sorry to hear about your health. I work with a wonderful lady in her 60's who smoked for her entire adult life and quit a couple of years ago before she went for a throat surgery (unrelated to smoking). She also suffers from COPD and a couple of other health issues, but she is still very proud of her success in quitting. (Some years before that she also lost 100 lbs on her own. This lady could give a class in determination!) It is possible to quit even after decades of the habit.

She did use a patch which she found helpful. I think that different methods work for different people, because the nature of the addiction varies between individuals. I know that for me, it was pure habit born out of nervous energy & even though I haven't smoked for years, I wish for a smoke every time I feel very stressed.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I've never smoked but my dad smoked for years from the time he was 12 years old until he was 76 years old, so it can be done. He is now 83 and in reasonably good health. I'm sorry to hear about your health problems, Arielflies, but I am rooting for you. I know you can do it!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

The thing to remember, Arielflies, is that your dad's cancer might have come sooner if he didn't quit, and ditto your mom's COPD. You probably had many more years with them because they quit when they did. That's what, a combined 55 years with your parents, a lot of which you might have missed.
    As above, different strokes for different folks. You could even combine them--make your first smoke of the day an e-cig one, then the first and 2nd, etc. For now while you are stressed maybe just take the first step of getting an e-cig. Then you've got it and a patch and are ready to roll once your tests are over...you could even sneak a "smoke" on the e-cig before then to see what it does for you and if it might help you in a hospital situation--that might relieve some of your stress. Good luck.

Arielflies, do try the E-cigs...they are soooo helpful in quitting the real thing. I doubt I could have stuck with quitting, even with the near-death experience I had, without them. I was soooooooooo hooked on them and I loved, really loved, smoking. Now I can have all the same enjoyment I got from smoking using the e-cigs. Actually, it's much better. The other day we went to the movies and after gobbling up lots of popcorn, I watched the rest of it while "smoking" with my e-cig. I get to have all the enjoyment plus I get to do it anywhere! Now I never have to shelve my "urge" to smoke. Just reach in my purse and enjoy myself.
    Nobody could have enjoyed smoking more than me and I was adamant that I wouldn't quit. The other day my DH called me a "non-smoker" and I quickly told him, no, I'm still a smoke, who just chooses not to do it anymore. But I don't know if I could continue w/o my e-cigs. Give them a try.
    G.G. and Photobabe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I've bought the patch which sits in my linen closet, but I would really like to quit cold turkey. My problem at the moment is that I'm an emotional smoker and eater and the stress of this test and the nuclear one tomorrow has taken me into panic and depression.
    I, too, am an emotional smoker and eater. I smoked for over thirty years, tried various things to help me quit, and what eventually worked was Nicorettes gum. It provided me with nicotine during withdrawal as well as satisfying the urge to chomp on something. It also got me through a stay in the hospital with no problem. Might be worth a try for you.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Many e-cigs come with a nicotine cartridge. I believe high/medium/low/no nicotine. You can gradually wean yourself down to low & then no nicotine. At that point you are doing it for the habit only. Many people continue "smoking" them that way for the whole hand/mouth thing, rather that giving that up too. At that point the bad stuff is gone.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

arielflies, I did it - I bought the e-cig. Walgreens had a disposable one called "Blu" for 10 bucks. I bought it yesterday, along with a pack of smokes because I'm chicken.

I couldn't believe my first drag. Hello...this is just like smoking!! That pack I bought is sitting on my nightstand, still with cellophane on it, and I have no desire to unwrap it. The disposable is supposed to be equivalent to 1.5 packs. I went online today and ordered a start pack from Blue. I have to say, I'm impressed. 24 hours is the longest I've gone since I started smoking, with the exception of a 4-day hospital stay for myomectomy. I honestly don't remember having any cravings during those 4 days until I got home.

I have, however, started to cough. I'm told that is normal and is my body getting rid of gunky. I hope so because my chest is starting to hurt!

The only downer to all of this has been my mother. She is jobless and lives with me and while I love her, she drives me crazy. We were talking about reading I've done about "nictotine vaporizers" (my new preferred term) relative to FDA testing, approval, etc and I told her I was so happy that so far I didn't have any cravings. Her reply?

"It sure does smell bad."

Seriously. Would you rather I continue to smoke real cigs around you? That, my friends, is the story of my life with her. When I was younger, I'd learn a new song on the violin or piano and play it for her and instead of telling me good job, or she's proud of me or whatever, she'd say, "Are you sure that's how that song goes?"

*SIGH*. Sorry to vent on all of you. But...I didn't light a cigarette.

(PS: To me it smells a little like pipe tobacco. Definitely not like something burning.)
    Cootie likes this.

FYI on using e-cigs in airplane laves. In the reading I've done online, it depends on what kind of smoke detector is in the lav. Most people recommend blowing the vapor down your shirt...lol. For some people, "stealth-vaping" on airlines seems to be quite the challenge. Kinda like smoking in the boys' room at school.

Ariel it's never too late! Quitting smoking is the hardest thing I have ever done. About 10 years ago I lost 115 lbs and it was a breeze compared to that - but it is worth it! I feel so much better and you will too! I used the nicotine patch - that seemed to work for me. Whatever it takes - please try and do it! I smoked for 20 years - someday that may catch up to me - but so far I'm OK. Ariel - you can do it!!!!
    G.G. and Eastcoastmom like this.

+ Reply to Thread