+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Quitting Smoking

If I were an e-cig smoker on a flight, I think I'd just discreetly pop into the loo for a quick fix. The fine for doing that with a real cig would definitely be extremely high. But with an e-cig, no one but you be the wiser.

I am seeing more and more people using them quite openly in bars and restaurants now. My sister uses one and, when one customer complained, management explained it's perfectly safe and virtually odorless. And not under ban.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I've heard that a lot of places won't allow them because of the fear that other patrons will think that smoking is OK there & smoke real cigaretes. They don't want to have to explain.
    I think if the e-cig doesn't look like a cigarette it would be easier. Many look like a pen. Although that could create a whole new problem of pen smoking.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Wow. I haven't been here in months and when I finally do log back on, I clicked on this forum (after Bachelor and Survivor, of course.)

It's crazy - I'm sitting here with actual tears in my eyes, reading this thread. Here's something I've never admitted online, anywhere. I smoke. I started when I was 23 and I'm 44 now. I smoke usually about a half a pack a day, but if my stress level is particularly high, I've been known to smoke nearly a pack.

I know I need to quit. I'm finding myself losing my breath faster and have started freaking out about dying, I smell like smoke, my car smells like smoke (because I won't smoke in the house), I'm spending money on smokes and I'm damn sick of my family lecturing me about smoking.

The problem is, even though I know I need to quit...I don't want to quit. I want smoking to somehow not be bad for me. I know that's not possible...so I need to figure out how to quit. And I need to do it without committing heinous bodily harm to my unemployed mother who is living with me...and drives me more insane than any person I know on earth (but whom I love dearly.)

I tried the patch - totally and completely worthless for me. Then I tried gum. The gum worked better in that I was doing something...but I had a difficult time parking it instead of chewing it. For me, gum = chewing and popping.

I'm going in for a hysterectomy on April 2nd. And no, it's not a bad thing. It's a joyous thing - I will finally be undeniably and irrevocably free of fibroids FOREVER (I had 30 of them removed 10 years ago). I won't have all the female issues I have now, and I may even be able to sleep through the night without having to pee three times a night because my 20-week pregnancy-sized uterus is pressing on my bladder. I'm havin' a hyster, syster! I couldn't be happier...and I'm trying to decide if that's also the time to quit smoking.

My doctor will write me a prescription for Chantix the week before if I want. I'm worried that the side effects I've read about will manifest themselves in the form of wanting to do great bodily harm to above-mentioned unemployed mother. I love her, but she is a TERRIBLE roomie. My house is a walking disaster since she moved in. As we speak, she's watching TV and the big pot of spaghetti that she cooked for dinner is slowly congealing on my stove. CLEAN THE DANG MESS UP, MOM!

Then I read about ya'lls experience with e-cigs. Are those the way to go? I'm scared to death to quit. What if I can't do it? I've done everything I ever set my mind to...except quitting smoking. I know I need to. My gramma died at 68 from emphysema. She was on oxygen for 10 years before that and never quit smoking, just took off the oxygen to do it. Maybe it's beyond worrying about quitting - perhaps the harm is already done.

Quote Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
    The problem is, even though I know I need to quit...I don't want to quit. I want smoking to somehow not be bad for me. I know that's not possible...so I need to figure out how to quit. And I need to do it without committing heinous bodily harm to my unemployed mother who is living with me...and drives me more insane than any person I know on earth (but whom I love dearly.)

Then I read about ya'lls experience with e-cigs. Are those the way to go? I'm scared to death to quit. What if I can't do it? I've done everything I ever set my mind to...except quitting smoking. I know I need to. My gramma died at 68 from emphysema. She was on oxygen for 10 years before that and never quit smoking, just took off the oxygen to do it. Maybe it's beyond worrying about quitting - perhaps the harm is already done.
    I'm not a doctor but from what I've read you can completely turn everything around in your body by quitting smoking, esp since you're young still.
    Like you I never wanted to quit, I really enjoyed it and I got all the lectures from family and friends also. I knew the dangers and I knew that they could take off years of your life. Ha! I figured that w/the super-long life expectancy in my family, I really didn't care about losing some years in my 90's. I had seen my parent in their 90's and they didn't seem to have much quality to their life, as far as I could see. What I was wrong about is that you don't get to choose what years you lose.
    As I've mentioned many times here (sorry but maybe it'll help) how I was in the hospital last year for almost 3 weeks,from the effects of smoking, in a medically induced coma with a ventilator stuck down my throat. Long story short: I've never gotten over seeing the fear and devastation on my family and friends faces (after the coma).
    Smoking doesn't just kill you at the end, it creates problems all the time. I was very, very lucky and recovered when I could have been left with many problems and effects that would have lasted a long time, taking away my strong independence and having to have others help me for the rest of my life. I could have ended up in a wheelchair with O2 all the time or cancer or emphysema, lasting a long time and taking away the life I'm enjoying. But stopping changes everything. In time, your body will return to it's previous non-smoking self.

The E-cigs have been the best thing ever!! In the beginning, you need the ones w/nicotine and can later wean yourself off of it and that's not very difficult. You actually feel like you're smoking...with the vapor, the feel of it, etc. I'm so grateful for them.
    I have friends who smoke who are cutting back on real cigs and using the E-cig to eventually quit. Don't know yet if that'll work but it's worth a try.
    Come on over to the rest of us new quitters...we're easy to find because we smell so good now...and so does our houses, cars, clothes, etc.
    Please try them. I'm almost positive they'll help you.
    I was once an extremely stubborn smoker and sure nothing would ever happen to me because of cigs. I was wrong.
    Now I "smoke" at restaurants, on planes, in the movie theater, etc. I'm discreet but don't hide it.
    There's nothing like having a cigarette with your coffee after a great dinner!
    Got my fingers crossed for you.

I have read that the Federal Government has banned e-cigs from both planes and trains. Stupid!!

GG, You sound a lot like me! I enjoyed smoking, but the health effects, the smell, the ashes, the monetary cost, were all getting to me. I bought the e-cigs in the hope that they would help me cut down. Within days, I discovered I actually liked them better than real cigs! It's now 6 months since my first e-cig. I still have an unopened pack of Pall Mall in my car, but have absolutely no desire to smoke them. Go on line and do some research. There are some very good companies out there. If you would like a 15% discount code for the starter set of V2's, PM me and I will send you the code.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

GG- I loved to smoke. Hell I would still smoke if it wasn't bad. For me quitting was mostly a mental process that began long before I actually quit. I couldn't actually think of myself as quitting, it was too stressful. So I just started making my habit quit working. I began by smoking menthols (which I HATED) when I started getting used to that, I switched to roll-my-own. That was a mess and a PITA. Then I'd not sit down, only stand to smoke. Or not drink coffee at the same time. Whatever I could do it make my habit suck I did it. This process took me about 3 months. Then I started chantix and was only on that for 6 weeks and it worked for me. I smoked 1.5 packs a day for 30 years! You can do it and you'll be happy you did. Its a process and a freedom from the addiction.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

PWS
    FORT Fogey

G.G.---re "the harm is already done"....sounding like a line from The Biggest Loser "no excuses" season! There's a good chance the harm you've done can be reversed...and even if some has been done that can't be if you keep smoking you will only add on more. So, nope, can't use that line.

Do think about what you are going to do about your nicotine addition and the surgery in advance. You know you can't smoke in the hospital, right? And maybe nicotine patches etc., won't combine well with whatever painkillers you will be on. I know they are making hysterectomies less and less major surgery and major scars so maybe you will only be in there 24 or 48 hours, but for a (minimum) half a pack a day smoker that's a major withdrawal, and that alone might give you some surgery or post op issues. I'm NOT a doctor... just saying, really talk to your surgeon about this issue.

Congrats on being "out of the (online) closet", and welcome to the world of those who are trying---some pretty successfully. They say the average smoker tries to quit like 6 times before succeeding (I'm making up the number, but it's big), so time to get moving.

When I was in the hospital in December I took an occasional drag on my e-cig (no smoke, no smell, no one knows!)
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    If I were an e-cig smoker on a flight, I think I'd just discreetly pop into the loo for a quick fix. The fine for doing that with a real cig would definitely be extremely high. But with an e-cig, no one but you be the wiser.
    I am seeing more and more people using them quite openly in bars and restaurants now. My sister uses one and, when one customer complained, management explained it's perfectly safe and virtually odorless. And not under ban.
    RIght! Even if they are "banned" on planes it's not like the smoke detector will go off and rat you out. Of course those of us waiting in line for the plane port-a-potty will be hoping you just need a few drags, not a whole cig!

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    GG- I loved to smoke. Hell I would still smoke if it wasn't bad. For me quitting was mostly a mental process that began long before I actually quit. I couldn't actually think of myself as quitting, it was too stressful. So I just started making my habit quit working. I began by smoking menthols (which I HATED) when I started getting used to that, I switched to roll-my-own. That was a mess and a PITA. Then I'd not sit down, only stand to smoke. Or not drink coffee at the same time. Whatever I could do it make my habit suck I did it. This process took me about 3 months. Then I started chantix and was only on that for 6 weeks and it worked for me. I smoked 1.5 packs a day for 30 years! You can do it and you'll be happy you did. Its a process and a freedom from the addiction.
    That's very similar to what I did. I "practiced" quitting and broke my habits long before actually quitting. First thing to break was a cigarette with coffee, I started having a cigarette only when my coffee was completely gone. Instead of lighting a smoke as soon as I got out of bed in the morning, I waited until I was on my way to work. I started timing myself before having a cigerette... I started by making myself wait 5 minutes before having one, when I was over staring at the clock for the entire time, I stretched it to 10 minutes, then 15 and so on. If I got distracted and forgot that I wanted one, I would restart my waiting time. I was amazed how much of it was a mental thing for me. Once I realized that I didn't need a cigarette as soon as I had the urge, the idea of quitting became far less daunting. I eventually cut my smoking to one smoke a day. That one a day was the hardest to give up though! It was 10 years on Feb 13 for me, and 10 years on Feb 15 for my husband... we made it through in one piece and are still happily married. I'm not saying the quitting was easy, but every time I thought I might want to start again because life was tough, I thought back to everything I went through to quit; I would remind myself that if I started again, I would have to go through quitting again.

Quitting is tough, but not impossible. If you don't succeed the first time you try, don't give up. Try again. When it's right for you, it'll be much easier.

+ Reply to Thread