+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

MRD

Re: Quitting Smoking

I quit smoking 2 months ago using the ecig. I choose one I can get locally, as I didn't want to run out of refills and have to wait days for an internet order. Within the first few days I was smoking less and now, I may take 10 puffs a day off of it. I just don't have the urge. BUT, I was so thankful to have it the first few weeks as it did keep my hands busy and mimicked the action of smoking.

Blu and Fifty One are both great products. I choose Fifty One as they have refillable cartridges and I can fill my own and reuse them.

But I know a lot of you were pulling for me, so I wanted to report that I was able to do it despite not being able to get a lot of online support. Thanks to those that were of great help. I am finally smoke free forever.
    Ellen, norealityhere and Photobabe like this.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Good job, MRD! And congrats on your beautiful grandson...the pics are precious
    MRD likes this.

I know 2 people who have quit smoking entirely on SmartSmoke (out of Washington, I think Spokane) & one just starting on them. The starter kit is kind of expensive, but not in comparison to what you'd be spending on cigarettes in the same period. Plus, it has far less chemicals in the cartridges than a lot of them do.
    No, I have no stock in the company. I just know the people who've used them well enough to know they tried other methods & just kept relapsing. No relapsing with this method.

I quit years ago the old fashioned way: Cold Turkey. When I didn't think I could make it after almost 2 days, I also allowed myself 1 per day, guilt free. It had to be the same cigarette in a 24hr period, no ahead or behind, although I could put it out & relight as many times as I could. It was hysterical in retrospect how careful & obsessive I got with that 1 used stale butt. If anyone tried to throw it out they risked their life. After about 3 months I realized that I still had about 1/2 pack left. I threw them out & never looked back.
    MRD likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I quit smoking 2 months ago using the ecig. I choose one I can get locally, as I didn't want to run out of refills and have to wait days for an internet order. Within the first few days I was smoking less and now, I may take 10 puffs a day off of it. I just don't have the urge. BUT, I was so thankful to have it the first few weeks as it did keep my hands busy and mimicked the action of smoking.

Blu and Fifty One are both great products. I choose Fifty One as they have refillable cartridges and I can fill my own and reuse them.

But I know a lot of you were pulling for me, so I wanted to report that I was able to do it despite not being able to get a lot of online support. Thanks to those that were of great help. I am finally smoke free forever.
    So much good news from you this week, MRD! That is terrific! I am glad you found something that is working for you. I have been wondering how it was going not only with you but also some others I am rooting for here, but I didn't want to pry. I've been sending good vibes your way hoping they would help.
    MRD likes this.

MRD, so glad to see you here again! And congratulations on quitting!!
    I think the e-cig is a downright blessing and an answer to prayers on being helpful in quitting smoking. Not sure if I could have done it without them. It's been 10 months now for me. I have tried many different E-cigs and have finally found one that meets all my requirements...I'm sure everyone is different and have different needs so thank goodness, there's a lot of them out there.
    I use mine a lot still....guess I was pretty hooked on the real thing but mostly, I think it was because I liked the "doing-ness" of smoking. I don't really miss the real thing anymore either with these e-cigs.
    Here's hoping that others will catch on to them and help them quit. I never thought I could do it. But with these, it was easy.
    The other day my husband called me a non-smoker...I thought about it and said, "no, I'm a smoker who just chooses not to anymore." But no matter what I call myself, I still don't smoke real cigs anymore.
    Once again, congratulations to you and all the other quitters!
    MRD, norealityhere and inthegarden like this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

That's great news from all you new non-smokers, ex-smokers, or smokers who just don't! Yay, team, and I'm impressed by all the good reports on the e-cigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    None of my FORT friends ever knew that I smoked. I was very ashamed. I smoked for more than half a century. I had tried everthing to quit but was never successful. All I accomplished each time was a huge weight gain. I had resigned myself to the fact that I would be a smoker for the rest of my life.
    Photobabe, for some reason I kept thinking about your post here since I read it last night. I'm so sorry that you felt "ashamed," because of a habit you picked up long ago when most people smoked and no one thought anything about it. You shouldn't have felt ashamed. You were not doing something "bad."

I will never understand why people enmasse have turned smokers into such vile people. It's a habit that most likely will produce many very bad problems with health and will kill you. But why arent' the villians the people who produce the cigarettes and lied about it's health issues? They're the ones who put all that cr@p in them to make sure people were addicted and continue to buy them. The social media and whoever is behind this movement have done an evil thing in encouraging people to make the smoker seem worse than a child molester.
    I hate the word "victim" but in this case, I truly feel smokers were victimized and treated shamefully.
    Funny, how people with Aids are given so much more sympathy for their health problems...even though their actions were the principal cause for the disease.
    I don't expect people to agree with me and that's just fine. I just tend to call it as I see it.
    Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox and say Congratulations Photobabe, for doing such a hard hard thing.
    MRD, Photobabe and Poppy Fields like this.

The hardest part for me was that I truly did enjoy smoking. I found it relaxing & gave me something to do with my hands when out in public places. Of course, that was when people were not only allowed to smoke in public places, but it was completely accepted. I was never embarassed about it, nor did I constantly tell people I wanted to quit the "bad" habit.
    It's hard to quit something you love. Dieters know this all too well.
    I quit because it became common knowlege it was unhealthy & the dumb things just got expensive.

Congratulations all who have quit. I know how hard it is. For those still trying, just keep trying. It's called "trying" for a reason, because it's darned hard! Eventually it becomes Success. I only wish e-cigs were around when I decided to.
    MRD likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

MRD

I know the ecig made all the difference this time. I always enjoyed smoking. It wasn't like I was some back alley heroin addict, sneaking off to get my fix. I enjoyed lighting up, I enjoyed taking a little break to go smoke. I enjoyed every aspect of it and the day I am told that I am dying or I turn 80, whichever comes first, I am buying cigarettes and I am taking up smoking, because by then, I figure, what will it really matter? LIke you Miss Scarlet, it was something that I enjoyed and it relaxed me. And yes, I know how bad it is for me. But really, do we go up to fat people and tell them , that that bag of McDonald's food is going to kill them? No (and I'm fat, so don't anyone jump on me for that remark)

And I don't know how smoker's came to be so villified either. Back when I was working, I would go outside and around the side of the building to smoke. The main library was next to our building and people would walk out of their way going to the library to tell me how bad smoking was for me. "Really??? I had NO idea, thank you SO much for that information. Now get your nose out of my business". I have never figured out why strangers feel the need to tell smokers that or to tell Pregnant women horror stories about 3 day labors and ripping up to their belly button.

The tobacco companies have put hundreds of chemicals in cigarettes over the years to make the addiction stronger and harder to break and it is very much an addiction. Interestingly enough, did you know that 1 in 5 American's smoke? That's 20% of the population. Still a very significant number, considering all the warnings, the price, etc.

But whoever invented the ecig is a genius. I don't use mine all that often, but when I feel the need, I can puff inside now and all it takes is a puff or two, not like smoking a whole cigarette.

Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement

MRD

And congrats to all those that have quit. I just went back and read several pages of this thread that I missed as I have avoided it for the last several months. And I am so happy to hear that I am not the only one that quit. Yay to all of us!!!!

As for the Chantix, I don't want to start another bit hairy deal, BUT, I think that stuff is as dangerous as smoking. Just my opinion and if you used it to quit, then that is GREAT. But my experience with it and several friends who tried it, have all been extremely negative and actually dangerous. If you are sensitive to psychotropic drugs or have never been on an anti-depressant or have had problems with anti-depressants, be careful about the Chantix. It actually binds to receptors in your brain that keeps the nicotine from binding to those same receptors, but it caused me some really BAD side effects mentally and I thought I was going absolutely nuts as in, check me into the mental hospital, please. Not all medicine is actually good for us and I swear listening to some of the commercials these days adn the side effects they describe, makes me leary of taking anything.

I'm just urging anyone considering Chantix to research it, ask lots of questions and tell your family to let you know if they see some behaviors emerging (you can't always tell yourself) that are not "you". If you took it and had no problems, then that is wonderful and I applaud you for being able to quit smoking with it.

Anyway, here's to all of us non-smokers now. What a great club to be in and what great support you guys are to me and everyone else. And let me say that I cannot say enough good things about the ecig. I know that was what made it so easy for me this time. I still "smoke", I still get to hold something and put something up to my mouth and inhale something, but it's not smoke and it's not full of chemicals. And I can go HOURS without using the ecig and I don't even smoke it like I used to do cigarettes. I can take 2-3 puffs and be perfectly satisfied where before, if I lit a cigarette, I was goign to smoke the whole thing down to the filter.

I still get urges for a "real" cigarette occasionally, but now they smell so badly to me, that I know I won't smoke one. The ecig is the best thing that I've ever tried.

Good luck to those still trying to quit and to all of us that are trying to stay quit.

+ Reply to Thread