+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady;4394848[B
    ]Okay so I'm now 6 1/2 months without smoking. Never thought I could do this.
    [/B]
    I was always aware of the fact that smoking would take years off my life. But I naively thought:
    so what? Longevity runs in my family. My parents were in their '90's when they died and those last couple years were not something I wanted to do. They basically died of old age, not ill from any sickness but frail, unable to do much. I just thought of it as them losing their quality of life so if I didn't get those last few years and died at 89 it wouldn't matter.
    What I didn't realize was that smoking negative affects can hit at any time and you'd be lucky to just lose the last couple years.

I was lucky that my serious double pneumonia and fungus in the lungs was cured and my COPD is becoming better and better until someday (if I stay off cigs and keep healthy) be gone completely. But smoking could and does cause illnesses that you don't really recover from. Meaning you'd have serious problems every day until you died. You could live to be really old but most of your life could be miserable. Guess I was really lucky to get this wake-up notice and not have to be affected for the rest of my life.
    So anyone thinking about quitting, think about having your quality of life and your good health gone.....to have to deal with various effects like serious asthma, COPD and needing O2 every day and everywhere you go. Being unable to do the things we take for granted, like shopping, running to a store, maybe driving, etc.
    Don't be stupid like I was.

Although I must admit, if someone had told me this, I probably wouldn't have stopped. I'm sure I would think that it happens to other people, not me.
    It's a very very strong addiction but it's do-able. And I'm grateful that E-cigs are here to help me with the physical stuff that's associated w/smoking. I've tried several and am actually waiting for a new one to arrive. This one supposedly is the best, looks like and feels like a cigarette more than any other and has nicotine in it. Yes, for awhile people can still be adicted to nicotine but it's not the nicotine that harms you. The one I'm waiting for is SafeCigs Micro.
    I'll keep anyone informed on how it is if you want to know.
    DragonLady,

Congrats, my friend!!
    I'll be going on 8 months, myself, so I know how hard it is.
    I was diagnosed with asthma not that long ago and thus, I decided to quit.
    Then, I just found out 2 months ago, I have COPD. You can control it, but you can not get rid of it ever....
    My heart goes out to all smokers. I, too, enjoyed it immensely.
    Being unable to breathe, however, truly sucks! And scares the **** out of me.

I still have days when I wish I could smoke. Fortunately, they're fewer and farther between.

Good Luck to all who are struggling with this addiction.
    We're always here to help and support you.
    Namaste
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Congratulations to you, norealityhere!

Ok, you may very well be right, , about COPD, but maybe we could be the first to get rid of this condition and make all the medical journals!!!
    It could happen...So I'm going to keep hoping.

It is soooo hard....but as you say, it does get easier. I enjoyed so many things about smoking, still miss it a lot but am enjoying the clean house smell I now have. I had my teeth whitened as a reward for myself and have to admit I love them now. Many good things are the result of not smoking but I really miss it!!!

Have I mentioned how much I MISS IT????

norealityhere & Dragonlady, you are very inspiring! I wish you good health, you deserve it for giving this the good fight. I wonder if the loss lessens over time? I hope so. It is good to keep focusing on all the benefits of your new life.
    norealityhere likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Congratulations to you, norealityhere!

Ok, you may very well be right, , about COPD, but maybe we could be the first to get rid of this condition and make all the medical journals!!!
    It could happen...So I'm going to keep hoping.

It is soooo hard....but as you say, it does get easier. I enjoyed so many things about smoking, still miss it a lot but am enjoying the clean house smell I now have. I had my teeth whitened as a reward for myself and have to admit I love them now. Many good things are the result of not smoking but I really miss it!!!

Have I mentioned how much I MISS IT????
    I believe in the power of
    positive thinking, too, so I'm with you there!!
    We WILL make those medical journals!

Some days I pass by smokers and think the smell is really awful.
    And, some days, I do kind of miss it!

But, the non stained teeth and the ability to breathe do make up for a lot, my friend!

Cootie,

Thank you for your kind words.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Yes, thank you, Cootie, and everyone else who has wished us new non-smokers well.
    We need all the support we can get because it really helps. Feels good to get a pat on the back and a "well done."
    MRD likes this.

None of my FORT friends ever knew that I smoked. I was very ashamed. I smoked for more than half a century. I had tried everthing to quit but was never successful. All I accomplished each time was a huge weight gain. I had resigned myself to the fact that I would be a smoker for the rest of my life.

In September I decided to research e-cigs. I thought they would help me cut down smoking and, since I didn't want to smoke in my new car, be something to use while driving. After doing a good bit of internet research I finally settled on a brand and ordered the starter kit during their Labor Day sale. After a couple of days I realized that I had only smoked 3 cigarettes in 4 days! So, I set my real cigs aside telling myself that if I wanted one I could have it with No Guilt.

It's now 2 1/2 months later. My old pack of cigarettes is now living in my freezer. I can have one anytime I want. The miracle...I Don't want!!!!
    MRD, Cootie, nennie and 4 others like this.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Congratulations, Photobabe!

What kind did you get? I wnat to give that starater kit to my sister for Christmas. She has quit so many timeswith the same result you described. Huge weight gain. If these work for her, I will be so happy!

She just got a new car, too.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    None of my FORT friends ever knew that I smoked. I was very ashamed. I smoked for more than half a century. I had tried everthing to quit but was never successful. All I accomplished each time was a huge weight gain. I had resigned myself to the fact that I would be a smoker for the rest of my life.

In September I decided to research e-cigs. I thought they would help me cut down smoking and, since I didn't want to smoke in my new car, be something to use while driving. After doing a good bit of internet research I finally settled on a brand and ordered the starter kit during their Labor Day sale. After a couple of days I realized that I had only smoked 3 cigarettes in 4 days! So, I set my real cigs aside telling myself that if I wanted one I could have it with No Guilt.

It's now 2 1/2 months later. My old pack of cigarettes is now living in my freezer. I can have one anytime I want. The miracle...I Don't want!!!!
    Fantastic news, Photobabe!

Poppy Fields, I just sent you a PM with some links that might be helpful. A word of caution. The e-cigs that are available in some stores are, for the most part, expensive and not very good. There are much better options on line.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

You are an angel, Photobabe. Thanks! We'll be sure to stay out of the retail stores for this.

+ Reply to Thread