+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

I've read that the chemicals in the ciggs and just the darned HABIT are stronger than the nicotine itself, I don't know. I remember the many years I tried to quit, the Nicorette gum did nothing for me. While it would get me through a few hours, I always failed. When I finally DID quit, cold turkey, for me the hardest part was the habit itself...after meals, in the car driving, all of the times I used to smoke. In the office I'd have a craving and I'd take my pen or pencil and secretly put it to my mouth and inhale as if it were a cigarette and pretend I was blowing out smoke.....I'd get "that feeling" but then another one, too...I realized I could actually inhale deeply and comfortably, a great switch! It motivated me to keep going, to not give in.

Keep going, don't give in!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD View Post
    Just an idea which came to me: has anyone tried acupuncture to quit smoking? I'd be interested to know if it worked.
    I can't give you an accurate answer to that question but years and years ago, I tried accupuncture to quit smoking. It didn't work BUT.....I realize now that I never really wanted to quit and you need to WANT to for it to work.

I still don't want to quit but I keep picturing the looks I saw on my family's faces when they thought I was going to die in that hospital w/double pneumonia with abused/damaged lungs from smoking.
    I hope I never forget those sad, sleepless eyes because they still needed me.
    So I brush that little devil off my shoulder........until the next time he starts whispering.
    (Does that make him the Smoker's Whisperer?" )

Dragon Lady,
    I think real soon, when you least expect it, you will probably feel a lot differently about the cigarettes.
    Remember it is 1 of - if not the most - addictive habit out there.
    You've come a very long way so far. Pat yourself on the back for all you've done and please try to take it 1 day at a time.
    You realize, most importantly, that YOU are the one who now holds the power. Even with that knowledge, though, it is very hard. So, just continue to keep on doing what has been working for you and continue to fight the urges. When you least expect it to, it will become second nature to you.
    In the meantime, here's a good mantra that may help you, as it's helped me with a number of things through the years. Write it down, say it out loud, do whatever works for you...

I will win. Why will I win? Because I have courage, faith and enthusiasm!!

Namaste and good luck.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Here are some of the tricks I remember doing when the urge to smoke got too bad.
    *Take a hot bubble bath. Very relaxing.
    *Burn scented candles. Once you quit, much of your sense of smell returns and the candles are even better smelling.
    *Brush your teeth. I've found this helps when I want to snack too.
    *Do something that keeps your hands busy and your mind occupied.

I also tried to reward myself once a week for not smoking. I'd buy myself a little, inexpensive treat. Anything that I liked that was just for me. (except food) I figured with the money I was saving, I could afford to indulge myself. Then when I wanted to smoke, I'd start to think about the next thing I wanted to treat myself with. It helped take my mind off the cigarettes.

Sending you good wished for your continued success DragonLady.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I doubt I'd ever be able to express how touched I am by everyones support here.

Those are some really good suggestions and I think I'll try some of them.
    It's been an emotional week, with our first grandbaby, emerg C-section, watching "mom & dad" struggle w/an infant, doing lots of cooking/freezing food for them, etc.
    Plus I'm tired from all the go, go, go....& still re-cooperating. So I think this week it was harder to do but I got thru it.
    Maybe I need to start dreaming about smoking again and then I won't feel the need so much.

FORT Fogey

Hang in there, DragonLady. You know we're all "in your corner." Continued good luck with this struggle!!!

Keep going dragonlady. To all my other fort associates who are quitting - you CAN do this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Okay so I'm now 6 1/2 months without smoking. Never thought I could do this.

I was always aware of the fact that smoking would take years off my life. But I naively thought:
    so what? Longevity runs in my family. My parents were in their '90's when they died and those last couple years were not something I wanted to do. They basically died of old age, not ill from any sickness but frail, unable to do much. I just thought of it as them losing their quality of life so if I didn't get those last few years and died at 89 it wouldn't matter.
    What I didn't realize was that smoking negative affects can hit at any time and you'd be lucky to just lose the last couple years.

I was lucky that my serious double pneumonia and fungus in the lungs was cured and my COPD is becoming better and better until someday (if I stay off cigs and keep healthy) be gone completely. But smoking could and does cause illnesses that you don't really recover from. Meaning you'd have serious problems every day until you died. You could live to be really old but most of your life could be miserable. Guess I was really lucky to get this wake-up notice and not have to be affected for the rest of my life.
    So anyone thinking about quitting, think about having your quality of life and your good health gone.....to have to deal with various effects like serious asthma, COPD and needing O2 every day and everywhere you go. Being unable to do the things we take for granted, like shopping, running to a store, maybe driving, etc.
    Don't be stupid like I was.

Although I must admit, if someone had told me this, I probably wouldn't have stopped. I'm sure I would think that it happens to other people, not me.
    It's a very very strong addiction but it's do-able. And I'm grateful that E-cigs are here to help me with the physical stuff that's associated w/smoking. I've tried several and am actually waiting for a new one to arrive. This one supposedly is the best, looks like and feels like a cigarette more than any other and has nicotine in it. Yes, for awhile people can still be adicted to nicotine but it's not the nicotine that harms you. The one I'm waiting for is SafeCigs Micro.
    I'll keep anyone informed on how it is if you want to know.
    MRD likes this.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Glad to hear of your success-I'm down to a 1/2 pack a day. A few times I've only had 8 cigs,....I used to smoke 3 packs a day. I hope when I can consistantly smoke 5 cigs, I will just put them down.

Congratulations Dragonlady!!

+ Reply to Thread