+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 45 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

Thanks for the support. It really helps altho the desire is still there. It comes and goes but lately, when it comes, it's seems so much stronger.
    Things have been a little stressful lately.....just became a Grandma (first time) last night. After we left the hospital, at about 2:30 AM, and I knew all was ok with my daughter and grandson........boy, did I want one....badly.
    But I wrote emails to everyone instead when I got home, unashamedly bragging.

I don't really want the patch. I have my E-cig (w/nicotine) that I use because I need help with the physical part of holding it, etc.
    I have a wonderful hubby who tolerates me. I had told him that I would quit smoking but I doubt I'll quit talking about it.....so every once in awhile, I'll ask if he has a cigarette I could have, how much I want it, etc. He usually has a new and funny answer each time. So I go from one minute to the next, hoping this desire will go away.

I am so proud of you, Dragonlady! It seems like you are finding some good ways to fight the urge to smoke. And congratulations on becoming a grandmother for the first time! It is wonderful to hear about your daughter and grandson being healthy and all.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Keep fighting the good fight, Dragonlady! You're doing great! Congratulations on the birth of your first grandchild- wonderful news!

Congratulations Grandma!! Now you have another reason for not smoking!
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I have a question for those who have quit smoking. It's been almost 4 months for me now. I didn't do it because I was smart and wanted to do what was right. I did it because I almost died from double pneumonia and lung fungus in April.
    I enjoyed smoking...always did.
    Up until recently, I think I was handling it very well. I missed it, wanted it but was able to just hold out for a few minutes and it would be gone.
    But lately, the craving for it as been extremely strong. I'd like to know if this is normal/expected. Does it come and go? I'm hoping it'll "go" soon. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm definitely not at a point where I'll give in but it sure has been harder lately and I don't know why.
    A few others have said this, but I just wanted to chime in. What you are experiencing is totally normal. Your body was addicted to the nicotine. To a certain extent you will always want it. Certain times are worse - really stressful times, maybe. For me, really happy times always seem to be a big trigger - not completely sure why. What I wanted to reinforce was something that someone once told me - basically that it takes two to fight. The longer you struggle with a craving, the more intense it gets. For me that was true with regard to alcohol. Now, whenever the thought pops into my head that I want a drink, I just shrug my shoulders, say "of course I want a drink, I'm an addict" and then I go back to what I am doing. I have actually found that to simply shrug it off - or to out loud tell myself "you may want one but you are NOT having one" - is enough to dissipate the craving. If I continue to let it fester in my head, rationalize why I am feeling that way, etc., then it just gets stronger. Just my two cents, FWIW.
    SugarMama likes this.

Thanks everyone!
    It just seemed easier in the begining....and lately it's like a little devil, sitting on my shoulder, saying "one won't hurt."
    But I know better....one will become two....etc etc etc.
    I was so pressed for time today, w/a lot to do and all I wanted was to sit down with a smoke and a coke. (soda) But instead I went and bought myself two eyeshadows and a lipstick. Didn't really have time to spare to do that but I did it anyway....pale lavender shadow looks light & summer-y and peachy lipstick turned out to be a winner. And I can definitely afford it because I don't buy oodles of cigarettes anymore.

FORT Fogey

...........I was so pressed for time today, w/a lot to do and all I wanted was to sit down with a smoke and a coke. (soda) But instead I went and bought myself two eyeshadows and a lipstick. Didn't really have time to spare to do that but I did it anyway....pale lavender shadow looks light & summer-y and peachy lipstick turned out to be a winner. And I can definitely afford it because I don't buy oodles of cigarettes anymore.
    Great idea, dragonlady. Take the money you'd have spent on cigarettes, and do something nice for yourself!!

Thanks everyone!
    It just seemed easier in the begining....and lately it's like a little devil, sitting on my shoulder, saying "one won't hurt."
    But I know better....one will become two....etc etc etc.
    I was so pressed for time today, w/a lot to do and all I wanted was to sit down with a smoke and a coke. (soda) But instead I went and bought myself two eyeshadows and a lipstick. Didn't really have time to spare to do that but I did it anyway....pale lavender shadow looks light & summer-y and peachy lipstick turned out to be a winner. And I can definitely afford it because I don't buy oodles of cigarettes anymore.
    Good for you, Dragonlady!! As for why it seems tougher now - there is a saying in recovery programs that your addiction is out in the parking lot doing push ups! Meaning that the addiction never goes away, it is always a part of who you are, and it is waiting for the time when you aren't strong and might cave. When you first quit smoking, you were very vigilent, so there wasn't room for your addiction to play with your head. Now that you are feeling a little confident, it sees a window to possibly climb in. And the questioning you are doing about why it is harder now - exactly what happens to everyone else! For me, taking the fight out of it, just acknowledging that it is what it is and is always going to be a part of me, but that it is not going to win - is usually enough to make it go away. At least until the next time!!! I'm am so happy for you and how far you have come - you are an inspiration! Just remember, you only have to deal with one day and one craving at a time. You can do it!!

i quit smoking in 2006.... it was very difficult for me - tried the patches, lozenges, and finally nicotine gum. i could not quit cold turkey. i thought i would kill my family during this time.... had thoughts of hating them all, didn't want to be around people, was a general biotch, etc... it was terrible for probably a year. 5 years later, i am still chewing the gum. when i first started on the gum, i would chew at least 9 pieces a day.... and with time of course, that # reduced. today.... i am chewing about 3 pieces a day. within the past 3 months, i am finally getting sick of the gum taste and truly, chewing!!! i feel like a failure, because even though i gave up actual smoking, i am still getting nicotine by chewing. it has been the hardest thing i've ever done in my life and to this day, still have moments when i think a cig would be wonderful. is that because my body is still getting nicotine??? i think so. anyhoo - i am pleased that it seems i'm finally getting sick of gum, however, i still feel the need to have plenty with me at all times though.
    if your being chased by an angry bull, and then you notice you're also being chased by a swarm of bees, it doesn't really change things............ just keep on running!! -- Jack Handey

FORT Fogey

Just an idea which came to me: has anyone tried acupuncture to quit smoking? I'd be interested to know if it worked.

+ Reply to Thread