+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by buglover View Post
    .. I began smoking again but I have to say my body feels much better having not smoked the usual amount today...
    That is SUCH a positive step, Buglover! Recognizing that feeling is something that you can hold on to. Hoping that you can remember that good feeling, helping you in times of stress! I remember sneaking for smokes when my mother was in the hospital for lung cancer - once one of her nurses passed by me and gave me such a look...I'll never forget it, it made me feel so bad.

Keep that body feeling good - you deserve it, and it will make you stronger for those you love, too.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Ok..quick update.

My last cigarette was July 5. So its been 12 or so days since I last smoked. I also quit the chantix 5 days ago. This has to be my permanent quit. I fear if I take the chantix again I will truly go bonkers. The drug works VERY well for me...it takes away any enjoyment I get out of smoking. Take away that dopamine kick and I can handle changing the habit part of my addiction. But after taking the chantix twice now, for a total of 12 weeks is really F ing up my brain. I know if my doctor knew these side effects she would have a FIT. My husband deserves an award for putting up with me. HOWEVER that being said, I am finished with the ciggs AND the chantix. moving on here.

best of luck to everyone in kicking the habit. by whatever means works for you. and if one doesn't work keep on trying until you find a method that does!
    buglover and KatesMom like this.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Good for you, livin!!

And, Bug, just take 1 step at a time. You will eventually get there.

Good luck to you both!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    Ok..quick update.

My last cigarette was July 5. So its been 12 or so days since I last smoked...
    Yay! One day at a time, congratulations!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Good! Keep it up all of you.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I have a question for those who have quit smoking. It's been almost 4 months for me now. I didn't do it because I was smart and wanted to do what was right. I did it because I almost died from double pneumonia and lung fungus in April.
    I enjoyed smoking...always did.
    Up until recently, I think I was handling it very well. I missed it, wanted it but was able to just hold out for a few minutes and it would be gone.
    But lately, the craving for it as been extremely strong. I'd like to know if this is normal/expected. Does it come and go? I'm hoping it'll "go" soon. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm definitely not at a point where I'll give in but it sure has been harder lately and I don't know why.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I have a question for those who have quit smoking. It's been almost 4 months for me now. I didn't do it because I was smart and wanted to do what was right. I did it because I almost died from double pneumonia and lung fungus in April.
    I enjoyed smoking...always did.
    Up until recently, I think I was handling it very well. I missed it, wanted it but was able to just hold out for a few minutes and it would be gone.
    But lately, the craving for it as been extremely strong. I'd like to know if this is normal/expected. Does it come and go? I'm hoping it'll "go" soon. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm definitely not at a point where I'll give in but it sure has been harder lately and I don't know why.
    Yes, what you are experiencing is normal and to be expected. Your body was physically dependent on this habit for how ever many years you smoked. I quit almost 30 years ago, and yet the smell of it still makes me remember the pleasure of smoking. Your willpower not to do this again can take you through these tough times...or put a life saver or something like it in your mouth. There is an oral craving that is part of the smoking habit, and that may be what is driving your craving at this time, among other things. Please hang in there and know that I'm pulling for you all the way!!

Thanks, Coumbia, MD!
    I'm definitely not at a point where I'll go back to smoking but this extra craving has taken me by surprise.
    Maybe because I've been feeling so good lately, both physically (from recouping from the pneumonia/fungus episode) and emotionally (dealing with panic attacks that I didn't know were panic/anxiety attacks) I sure enjoy feeling good again!
    But I am not enjoying my hair falling out. I'm not talking about going bald or having bald patches....just more hairs in my hairbrush or on my clothes,etc, I'm positive it is a result of lots of meds, the induced coma they put me in, the trauma to the body, etc etc. And just at the time when I thought about growing it out again...Isn't that how it always works?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Thanks, Coumbia, MD!
    I'm definitely not at a point where I'll go back to smoking but this extra craving has taken me by surprise.
    Maybe because I've been feeling so good lately, both physically (from recouping from the pneumonia/fungus episode) and emotionally (dealing with panic attacks that I didn't know were panic/anxiety attacks) I sure enjoy feeling good again!
    But I am not enjoying my hair falling out. I'm not talking about going bald or having bald patches....just more hairs in my hairbrush or on my clothes,etc, I'm positive it is a result of lots of meds, the induced coma they put me in, the trauma to the body, etc etc. And just at the time when I thought about growing it out again...Isn't that how it always works?
    Dragon Lady,

Hang in.
    You're doing great.
    The cravings, like Columnbia noted, are very normal.
    They usually come and go, so hopefully they will.

If the cravings do get bad, you might want to consider a patch for a while.
    My friend who had the lung cancer surgery was on the patch for a long time. The oncologist actually approved it. It's a lot better than smoking.
    Good Luck and try to focus on the positive.
    It takes our bodies a very long time after the smoking cessation to get back to total normalcy.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I used the patch and it worked well for me. I crave a cigarette occasionally even though the smell of cigarette smoke almost makes me physically ill. For me the cravings only show up when I'm majorly stressed, and they never last long. Just a fleeting thought.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread