+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by buglover View Post
    spockwhat.... remember when they used to drive in the rain with a tiny crack in the window to let the smoke out? OMG! I really hated that as a child!
    I remember when my Dad used to open the little side window - cars had a kind of dual window, 1 large and 1 small - and use it as a mini ashtray.
    Unfortunately, his ashes always went into the eyes of my sister and I who sat in the back.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I remember when my Dad used to open the little side window - cars had a kind of dual window, 1 large and 1 small - and use it as a mini ashtray.
    Unfortunately, his ashes always went into the eyes of my sister and I who sat in the back.
    what we used to call wing windows....
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I had forgotten about "wind wings" on cars! kinda miss them now.

Spockwhat, I really liked what you wrote. I think I know, deep down, that if I ever have "just one more cig" that'll be it and all that I've gone thru will be for nothing. I still want than one cig very very much.

I also liked the part about taking the smoke break after quitting. When I return to my art classes (absent since hospital stay) I intend to bring my E-cig and take my little break outside like I used to do with a real cig. It wasn't that I needed the "fix" so much during class as it was when I came to a point where I was losing my focus on my painting and needed to step away. So the break is still needed. It just won't be as "smelly" and I'll have fewer strangers telling me how awful I am!

Can't wait to do the e-cig thing. Right now with the trips to the hospital, treatment, meds, etc my stress level is through the roof! I don't even finish a cig anymore and I never drive and smoke now since most of the time my son is in the car with me. My need for smoking while driving is gone..........it's my need when they tell me I owe this much money or we demand he comes at this time on this day (sorry you have a job lady) that I grab a smoke and run outside. I can go for hours without it until someone pushes a button and I'm gone. When we get back on Tuesday from LA, I'm going to look up the e-cig and see what it will cost me and how available the product is. I promised the powers that be that if my son was fixed I would quit no matter what. We are getting close to that dream so I am going to start keeping my promise!
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fogey

Buglover and Dragonlady -- I wish you godspeed in your efforts. I quit 30 years ago; my husband quit in 1973 after he went without cigarettes for 10 days during a bout of pneumonia.

After you quit, the smell of smoking will attract you for many years and make you think you could smoke "just one." Once you start up again, it is hard to get off them. Good luck, ladies, and I'll be hoping you're successful!!!
    just1paul and SugarMama like this.

MRD

Bug. Do some research. I found a site that compares all the ecigs, rates the
    , tells you what works and what doesn't. Gives price comparisons and user reviews. I'm glad I read it as the one I was going to buy was ranked near the bottom with bad reviews. I'm going to go to a couple local smoke shops. I don't want to run out of cartridges and have to wait for them to be mailed.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Please note that this is an open forum. ALL members of this site are free to post in this (and any other) thread, regardless of whether you agree with their opinion or not. Unless the post breaks our rules in some way, it stays. Other posters are not the arbiters of who should or should not post in ANY thread and we won't tolerate bickering or bullying. If you don't like what a poster says, your only option is to put that poster on ignore. If you take matters into your own hands, it may lead to infractions and I don't think anyone wants that.

Maybe it's time for everyone to take a break from this thread for a bit. This is obviously a hot button topic and people seem to be taking things WAY too personally.

It's a holiday weekend. Go out and enjoy yourselves!
    Last edited by The Mod Team; 07-17-2011 at 05:49 AM.
    Ellen likes this.

We're going to re-open this thread now and hope that everyone has taken some time to cool down. Remember that this (like ALL threads on this site) is not a private thread: every member of this site can post here. We ask that posters respect the opinions of others, even if they don't agree. We're not going to tolerate bullying here.

Additionally, we've had numerous complaints about the tone of this thread. Please stay away from discussions claiming second hand smoke isn't damaging or likening smokers to AIDS patients. We want you to have a place to support each other while trying to quit smoking, but if the thread becomes too much a source of discord, we'll close it again for good.

Now, play ball.
    Last edited by The Mod Team; 07-17-2011 at 05:55 AM.
    buglover likes this.

I'll start by saying Thank you for re-opening this thread.

Today, I spent the entire morning and afternoon at the Relay for Life 2011 walking for my mother whom I lost to ovarian cancer and my son who has terminal liver cancer. There was no way in he** that I was going to even attempt to sneak out to have a cigarette while I was there. I felt anxious and irritated because my body wanted me to smoke really bad. I didn't do it. I literally had 2 cigarettes, one on the way home to take a nap before going back to light candles for lost loved ones and one on the way there.

Of course, once I got home after bawling my eyes out at the ceremony, I began smoking again but I have to say my body feels much better having not smoked the usual amount today. I'm obviously up right now due to anxiety about leaving tomorrow to start my son's treatment again and smoking outside constantly, but I still feel good about how I handled myself today.

My husband couldn't handle it after 4 hours today and snuck off for an hour to drive around and smoke. I didn't get upset with him, I was just patting myself on the back for the fact that I held out until the craving was sooo bad I was getting a headache.

Namaste to all of us struggling with this crap!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Bug, I am proud of you for being so strong. Especially at such an emotional event. While I don't smoke, the strength you are showing is helping encourage me to be stronger about things I need to do to keep myself healthy. Thanks for sharing your struggle. I hope for many other days for you that you can cut down your smoking and have that good feeling again.

+ Reply to Thread