+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

PWS,

I totally agree that food can be and is an addiction.
    It was another poster who thought it was not.

I do agree, too, about some people getting addicted, etc. more than others.

However, I've never had an addiction to anything else like I did to nicotine. That's why I think they're never going to ban cigarettes altogether. These companies found a way to hook people and make a lot of money.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    PWS,

I totally agree that food can be and is an addiction.
    It was another poster who thought it was not.

I do agree, too, about some people getting addicted, etc. more than others.

However, I've never had an addiction to anything else like I did to nicotine. That's why I think they're never going to ban cigarettes altogether. These companies found a way to hook people and make a lot of money.
    As I mentioned before and I want to preface my comment with this......my comments as usual are JMHO

To be honest, we are all born addicted to food as we are born addicted to water and oxygen. We need it for basic survival, we would die without food.

Don't we all go out and work for our basic needs which include "food" and "shelter"? One could go so far as to say that we are "addicted" to shelter or to a warm and cozy bed. The difference is that some people go overboard with food and will overeat but is that really considered an addiction to "food" or an addiction to overeat or chew, indulge..or whatever?

Perhaps, the habit of "eating" or "chewing" can be what some people consider an addiction but seriously do people get the cold sweats or begin "jonesing" for let's say their "food of choice" like a hot dog or a donut and seek it out at any costs like drug addicts will?

To say that we are addicted to food is so true, there is not one person on this planet that is not born addicted to food. Our bodies simply cannot survive without food whereas our bodies can survive (and much better) without things like nicotine, alcohol, drugs...etc.

Once again, I reiterate that this is JMHO!

I feel like this thread has gotten off track. These are people who want to quit and would like support. I know who supports me in my quest to quit. Namaste!
    Lil Bit, MRD, Cootie and 2 others like this.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I wish all of you who want to quit smoking success in your pursuit! I think it is great that you have a place here to ask for help and support. Every time I read about the challenges and your struggle in quitting, I am inspired to be strong about the things I need to do in my own life to be healthier and live a better life. Thanks for sharing.
    MRD likes this.

I agree that this thread has gotten off track but it's all about discussions and expressing our opinions, that is what these type of forums are all about.

I wish all of you all the luck in the world to quit your bad habit(s) (lord knows I have enough!)

Back to reality TV for me!!!

BEST OF LUCK TO EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU struggling with any bad behaviors, addictions or whatever we refer to them as!!!! Remember to do it for yourself, no one else can do it but you!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    chrisg likes this.

I think most of us posting here are trying to help/support each other. Anyone who's been addicted to smoking, drugs, alcohol, etc probably knows that they're addicted and why. It's all very simple. We're human with frailities. The best thing we can do is to be tolerant and kind to people who are probably struggling with their addiction, rather than analyze or be cruel and critical. No one is perfect.
    Personally, I feel really lucky to have had such a huge illness that made me FINALLY take notice of what I was doing and changing that behavior. ( I know that sounds really weird but it's the truth.)
    I never thought I would quit. I think I was even a little rebellious about it. So if you think you'll never quit, think again. It can happen.
    And I still feel the E-cig can be a great help. Give it a try, even if it just helps you to cut down on the amount.
    And anytime anyone needs a little encouragment, I'm here for you!

Being supportive is an integral part of community. And it’s very easy and natural to say, for example, that people should put themselves in my shoes. The bigger and more meaningful challenge, of course, is to put oneself in the shoes of others. And it’s that self-initiative that makes all the difference because it is those acts that truly make the world a better place.

To call myself out with a reality TV example, when I first joined FoRT I thought my Project Runway opinions about fashion ruled the world. But it slowly dawned on me that because fashion is highly subjective, people might have a different take on something so highly personal and I should allow them that space rather than being all about my intensely subjective preferences all the time. And, even going beyond that, I think there’s a point that highly objective fact checking can be corrosive to community, as well, as much as it deeply pains my highly analytical nature to conclude that.

Since heavy smoking is somewhat generational, I don’t know many people who smoke in my day to day life and very few who smoke regularly. Three of my Grandparents quit when I was very young and I only have faint memories of them as smokers. One of the few people I know who still smokes regularly is a woman in her early nineties. She has health problems but, knock on wood, lung cancer isn’t one of them. And she’s trying to quit primarily because she’s in a nursing home she’s not too fond of but the one she would rather be in won’t take her because she smokes.

I can only imagine how difficult it is to kick an addition, any addiction. One thing I know for sure, though, is that human beings are fallible and we all have very little to protect us from stumbling if we don’t have the support of others to encourage us to be the best versions of ourselves in a positive way. And those overtures are understandably most difficult to give when they conflict with personal opinion or preference, but that’s what makes extending oneself in those instances that much more crucial, I feel.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Just some background:

I grew up with a large family in a tiny house and everyone smoked. Being one of the youngest siblings, there were many people smoking in my house at any given time... I grew up in a blue haze and was addicted before I even started. It was easy to start and sneak smokes in my room because who could tell? I started at fourteen and am a heavily addicted smoker. Except for the three years I quit, I can't go through a day with less than a half pack, but more is likely.

When I did quit, the best advice I received from my doctor was to NOT change my schedule, to keep my life exactly the way it was before (I do excercise regularly), and to face each craving HEAD ON! I had tried to quit many times and I would always try to run away from my cravings... getting really busy, taking days off, etc., but eventually the cravings catch up to you or you have to return to your old schedule and what do you do then? The advice I received was to continue taking that smoke "break". Find a quiet place, breathe deeply, and recognize that these little breaks you had before, well, you still need them. I also made a reward chart for every hour gone by... it may seem juvenile, but it helped me get through those first couple of days... I abandoned it fairly quickly, but would often look at it to see how far I've come and why I don't want to go back.

I ended up smoking again because I lied to myself and told myself I could be a casual smoker, having one every once in awhile. Hardly. Once that snowball starts rolling, you end up right back where you started from.
    I hope the advice I gave helps some out there, I know I'll be using my own advice this fall when I quit. (Too much stress this summer: moving, death of a friend, etc.)

ETA: chrisg, I love your posts... you are such a thoughtful, rational person.
    MRD and Dragonlady like this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Sorry, nrh, maybe I mixed you up with luvsginger? Comes of typing late at night! I agree that by all reports cigs are among the hardest to kick. As was noted earlier, in part because the tobacco companies add additional chemicals to make it even more addictive.

Good luck all with ecigs, patches, mouthwash and everything else you all are trying. Crossing my fingers for you. I like that advice to take the cigarette break even without the cigarette---that you still need the break! And just think, you won't have to take it outside in a sleet storm this winter!

spockwhat.... remember when they used to drive in the rain with a tiny crack in the window to let the smoke out? OMG! I really hated that as a child!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread