+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

When I quit smoking we had just moved here. I didn't really know anyone and when I started working at a day care center, I didn't get a lot of time for breaks, so I left my cigarettes in my car. I didn't smoke at all during the day and it never really bothered me. When I stopped smoking I wanted a cigarette every waking moment of the day except when I was at work. I was used to not smoking then, and it didn't seem to bother me. But, when I left work and got in my car, the urge for a cigarette would hit me like an actual physical force. I got a different job a few months later and I made friends and hung out with the non-smokers, so I think that really helped me.

I don't hassle smokers when they are obeying the rules. And most do. I do have a problem with people who think they have the right to smoke wherever and whenever they want. My son's girlfriend for example. When we work the same shift I will pick her up and give her a ride to work. Because she can't smoke at work, she's trying to get every last puff in before work starts. It never fails that she comes out to the car with a lit cigarette. I DO NOT allow smoking in my car. I despise the smell. And I constantly have to remind her that she has to put it out. I know she thinks I'm just being a b***h about it, but I don't care. She will also sneak into the bathroom at my house and smoke. I guess she thinks that if the door is shut, the window open and the exhaust fan on, that makes it okay. My house, my rules! I don't like the smell or the mess and my granddaughter has respiratory issues. She's not really as bad a person as I make it sound. I just don't think she sees the issue from the other side. She honestly doesn't think it should be that big of a deal.

Where I work, I am in the minority. There are only a couple of us who don't smoke. And the smokers are constantly asking to go out for a cigarette. One night I needed a minute, so I sat down in one of the booths. My boss right away asked me what I was doing. I told her to pretend that I was having a smoke break. She just looked at me and walked away.

I wish all of you who are trying to quit all the luck in the world and I'm sorry some people make you feel less than you should. But remember, some people boost their own egos by putting others down. I try not to do that, and being unemployed, or under-employed in my case, has certainly brought that "there but for the grace of God go I" saying to life for me. The world could use a bit more empathy.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    And here's another thing. I was going through some stuff and I found an ashtray I made for my parents when I was in elementary school in the 60's. Can you even imagine an art project in school today being an ashtray?
    Did we ALL do ashtrays? I remember doing a few.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Sorry for all the mistakes in the above post. My computer is acting crazy when I'm on Fort now and to go back and edit is even worse. Hope you can decode the above message.
    Luckily you are such a cogent writer, mrd, it always makes sense!
    I totally agree about cigars...which to my nose smell WAY worse than cigarettes, and, see above, I'm no fan of the smell of cigarettes. Cigarettes stink to me when they are "stale", but cigars stink to me from the moment they are lit. Recently on TV shows I've noticed that it's shown as very cool when a woman exec smokes a cigar with the guys. Good grief. That image is what got women catching up with men in lung cancer...yes, we've come a long way, baby. Now you can have lip and mouth cancer just like the guys.
    For some reason pipe tobacco doesn't seem as bad to me, smellwise as other forms...probably because my dad smoked it.
    FYI, in our family vacation house there are brass spittoons from my grandfather's law office... something I'm really glad seems to have moved to ballfield, hopefully on the way out the door.
    And yes, we all made ashtrays...and I got a ton of smoking related stuff as presents back in the day, even though I never smoked nor did my sig. other--you needed them for entertaining. Times do change.
    Last edited by PWS; 07-01-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    And one more rant...

The messages surrounding smoking are so contradictory.
    Cigarettes are still easy to buy, though taxed heavily here in Canada, but they put outrageous pictures on the packages and tell you not to smoke. But you can buy them at any convienience store on the corner.
    Also since smoking seems to cause every disease on the planet, why are smoking cessation aids not covered by drug plans?! I have smoked for more than 27 years. I did quit at one point for three years thanks to the help of a anti-depressant. Zyban (I think it's called) was the drug of choice for that purpose, but because it was seen as a smoking cessation aid, it was not covered under the health care system. My doctor gave me another prescription for a similar drug because she knew it would be covered. As far as I know, smoking is blamed for far more deaths than depression, but depression gets covered and quitting smoking doesn't. It's ridiculous!!
    A lot of drug plans cover smoking cessation aids now. Of course, it's up to the employer as to whether they want to add them to a company benefit plan. I work for the health region in my province and they actually will cover any employee who want to enrol in a tobacco cessation program, and cover the cost of smoking cessation aids.

I know how challenging it is to quit smoking. I smoked for 17 years. If there was no health risks I'd still be smoking - the smell doesn't bother me and I don't give a rat's behind if someone is smoking around me, a couple of my friends still smoke although there's not many places left anyone can light up in. (Which, btw, is quite helpful to those who have quit or who want to quit - if I'm having a drink in a bar or restaurant, I couldn't be bothered to run outside and smoke. I used to like to have a smoke with a drink, but you can't do it any longer in a public place, which takes away any relaxation or enjoyment for me.) I didn't use any smoking cessation aids...I got pregnant and just lost the craving. It's the habit I still miss.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

thDidn't Christopher Reeves wife die of lung cancer and she was a non-smoker? Yeah, lots of stuff cause cancer...
    I agreed with your entire post. I'd like to add, however, that non-smoking related lung cancer is rare. I had an aunt and her husband both die from lung cancer but had never smoked a day in their lives - their house was tested for radon, and it was positive. After doing some reading, their children discovered that a very small percentage of lung cancer results from radon, whereas almost all of the rest is from smoking -- the Federal government says that 90% for men and 80% for women.

You just have to look at the odds. The odds are stacked heavily against the smoker, unfortunately. Why does so much of the fun stuff have to be so bad for us?
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

QUOTE=Dragonlady;4324710]For MRD:

Don't feel guilty, don't hate yourself and don't let others make you feel that way. YOu didn't ask to be "chained" involuntarily to such a habit.
    Life isn't fair. I see people wearing red, pink, blue etc, ribbons to support those who are dying of some disease. Sometimes these diseases are preventable and sometimes not. Has it finally come to a time when doctors will only treat people who didn't contribute to their illnesses or death? Alcholics, obese people, unsafe sex,.....on and on and on. We're all human and we all do dumb stuff. Don't hate yourself or feel less than others...even tho they'll try and make you feel that way. Remember you are in charge of you and only you will know when or what will make you stop.
    [/QUOTE]

Smoking cigarettes is a personal choice. There are no ribbons to support those that make bad choices. The PINK ribbon is in support of those struggling with breast cancer. The RED ribbon is in support of those struggling with HIV or AIDS. I was not sure what the blue ribbon is in support of and so I researched it. Here is a link:
    List of awareness ribbons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looking at all these ribbons and their causes, none of them have anything to do with personal choice. No one chooses to have cancer. Though lifestyle may be an indirect cause of some cancers but no one really chooses to have cancer. Of course no one wants to be chained to a habit, but they made the choice to smoke and choose to continue smoking. There is no disease associated with smoking and I find it far fetched if anyone were to say that smoking is a disease.

Personally, I never thought of overeating as an addiction. How can something that we need to survive be addicting in a negative way, of course food is addictive! We need food to survive, it is someone's choice to eat too much. What's next? Addiction to oxygen, water, sleep? When does it stop?

I am not trying to be cruel but it is time to take responsibility for bad choices and stop blaming it on anything else but bad choices.

And for the record, I have never smoked a cigarette in my entire life and never plan on doing so. As for people feeling ostracized by society, that is also a choice to feel that way. Is it more of a paranoia that people feel that way? I never look at anyone smoking and think that they are some sort of leper but do I walk way around them when they are smoking...damn right I do, because we are sharing the same air space and I don't want to inhale any bad smoke.

As always, this is JMHO!!!

I really mean no offense to smokers, but I have always hated the way cigarettes smelled. I can remember being a little kid, back when everyone smoked, and telling all the adults that they were "stinky". Very rude, I know. I remember being very happy when smoking was prohibited in most public buildings. The health risks didn't bother me at all, I was just happy to be away from the smell.

Imagine my surprise when some friends of mine traveled to Turkey and they brought back a bag of tobacco, plain, cured tobacco. They handrolled their own cigarettes and when they smoked they actually smelled pleasant, so I think it's all the chemicals and preservatives that are added to American cigarettes that make them smelly.

And I really am not trying to offend or attack smokers, it's just the product I don't like, not you personally. Believe me, I have no right to judge anyone else's behavior as I have many bad habits of my own like chewing ice which has to be one of the most annoying sounds in the world.

Oh just one more thing, (isn't that what Colombo used to say?) I get so mad when people just throw their butts anywhere. I would never throw a water bottle or chip bag out of my car window, so why is O.K. for someone to throw their cigarette butt out? And how about when you're in a parking lot and you see a pile of butts and you know someone just dumped their ashtray out there. I just hate litter.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger View Post
    QUOTE=Dragonlady;4324710]For MRD:

Don't feel guilty, don't hate yourself and don't let others make you feel that way. YOu didn't ask to be "chained" involuntarily to such a habit.
    Life isn't fair. I see people wearing red, pink, blue etc, ribbons to support those who are dying of some disease. Sometimes these diseases are preventable and sometimes not. Has it finally come to a time when doctors will only treat people who didn't contribute to their illnesses or death? Alcholics, obese people, unsafe sex,.....on and on and on. We're all human and we all do dumb stuff. Don't hate yourself or feel less than others...even tho they'll try and make you feel that way. Remember you are in charge of you and only you will know when or what will make you stop.
    Smoking cigarettes is a personal choice. There are no ribbons to support those that make bad choices. The PINK ribbon is in support of those struggling with breast cancer. The RED ribbon is in support of those struggling with HIV or AIDS. I was not sure what the blue ribbon is in support of and so I researched it. Here is a link:
    List of awareness ribbons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looking at all these ribbons and their causes, none of them have anything to do with personal choice. No one chooses to have cancer. Though lifestyle may be an indirect cause of some cancers but no one really chooses to have cancer. Of course no one wants to be chained to a habit, but they made the choice to smoke and choose to continue smoking. There is no disease associated with smoking and I find it far fetched if anyone were to say that smoking is a disease.

Personally, I never thought of overeating as an addiction. How can something that we need to survive be addicting in a negative way, of course food is addictive! We need food to survive, it is someone's choice to eat too much. What's next? Addiction to oxygen, water, sleep? When does it stop?

I am not trying to be cruel but it is time to take responsibility for bad choices and stop blaming it on anything else but bad choices.

And for the record, I have never smoked a cigarette in my entire life and never plan on doing so. As for people feeling ostracized by society, that is also a choice to feel that way. Is it more of a paranoia that people feel that way? I never look at anyone smoking and think that they are some sort of leper but do I walk way around them when they are smoking...damn right I do, because we are sharing the same air space and I don't want to inhale any bad smoke.

As always, this is JMHO!!![/QUOTE]

With all due respect, I think the vast majority of smokers do take responsibility. They did not ask to get addicted and so many of them probably started at a time when it was not yet linked to the diseases it is now.
    The point is that it is a very real addiction that is extremely difficult to break.
    What ex smokers like myself, and current smokers like many here, seem to be saying is that they would like society to practice tolerance when dealing with them.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie View Post
    Oh just one more thing, (isn't that what Colombo used to say?) I get so mad when people just throw their butts anywhere...
    Me, too. There are two things that really bother me about that. (1) the fire danger when tossing them along roads, in a drought..."HELLO!" and (2) little children love to explore, and I never realized until I had children how they'll pick up an old butt, handle it, look at it, etc. Ewww, nasty! In fact, that was one thing I was always on the lookout for when I'd take my kids to parks and other public places.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

PWS
    FORT Fogey

norealityhere---Food can be addicting because certain foods (sadly not fiber! ) cause the release of those feel good brain chemicals like serotonin. So people who eat because they are depressed really are self medicating, the same way alcoholics are, for example.
    It seems more and more likely that some people are genetically more prone to addictions, any addiction, than others--which is why some people can quit their addictions cold turkey fairly easily and others really struggle.
    I heard a neurologist talk about this once who told a story that really stuck with me---he was describing a patient who had really been struggling with an addiction for years (I forget now whether it was tobacco, food, alcohol or illegal drugs, who then one day just quit cold turkey, no cravings, etc. The only patient he'd ever had who followed that pattern of quitting. 6 months later the patient was diagnosed with a fatal brain tumor in the relevant area. On top of that some drugs actually change your sensitivity to or production of those feel good brain chemicals, so that without the drugs you feel really down.
    Not to discourage any of us who are struggling, just to say it is probably not "moral weakness" that makes it so hard, but chemistry.
    SugarMama likes this.

+ Reply to Thread