+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

Unfortunately, people in the 80's who had AIDS were stigmatized.
    Many of them still are.
    Nobody's excusing the ill effects of nicotine.
    We're just trying to point out that it is da*n difficult to quit because it's an addiction.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I wouldn't want to stop the strong messages about the health risks associated with smoking. Unfortunately, it is a hard truth that it causes an awful lot of awful illnesses and disease. The AIDS comparison made me think that it's not so much about stigmatizing sufferers, but warning people at risk to use condoms and not to re-use hypodermic needles. People who wouldn't dream of injecting a drug into their arms think nothing of lighting up a cigarette, even though the practice is potentially just as deadly.
    I'd have to respectfully disagree with you here.
    People indulge in many, many things/behaviors that cause an awful lot of illnesses. The playing field had not evened out in this case.
    Also smokers are far more stigmatized than people participating in risky behavior like no condoms or re-using needles. People run around wearing red ribbons supporting these people. They feel sympathy for them. Raise money to help fight it. Don't see that happening with smokers.
    And lighting up a cigarette was once extremely common. Those who didn't smoke were the few and far between. Smoking goes back for decades and was considered normal behavior. Injecting a drug into an arm was never that common, I don't think.

Plain and simple, smokers have been labeled the "Bad Guys," and they will remain that way. Why do you think people like President Obama hides his habit???
    Why doesn't the government stop the tobacco companies from adding so many unnecessary additives and poisons, including ones that are highly addictive?
    But, no, it's better to condem the smoker....and then encourage everyone else to act the same.
    Does anyone really care if a smoker dies from lung cancer? Nope. But do people care if someone indulges in unsafe sex dies of AIDS. Yep.
    Why? I've never understood that.
    Climbing off the soapbox here. I just hate unfairness.

Speaking of "times" and eras. I can remember visiting my grandmother at the hospital where she worked and the nurses and doctors would be smoking in the hospital. My grandmother died in 2008 of congestive heart failure due to smoking even though she had quit over 30 years before her death. (If she had never smoked a day in her life, would they put that on her D/C still?) She was 2 months shy of turning 90 years old but her death was still labeled as a smoking illness.

I smoke, it is wrong, it is horrible for me to do and I know it. I will quit because I have done it 3 times before. I didn't smoke when I was pregnant with either of my children and to this day to not smoke around my kid, my friends who do not smoke or anyone else for that matter.

I remember going into a Black Angus when I was a kid and the law had just begun to change in Cali, with my mother and her friend for dinner. She asked for the smoking section and the host said we no longer allow smoking in the restaurant. My mother turned to her friend and said, let's go, I would like to enjoy a cig before and after my meal with a cup of coffee. As a child I was happy there was no smoking and as an adult smoker, I am still glad they do not allow smoking inside buildings. I'm crazy picky like that. No smoking while eating, don't blow it in my face, etc but I still turn to the cigarette when I am stressed or bored or hungry. I am determined to try the e-cig because I want to quit, not for my health mind you all, for how friggin expensive it has become to keep this habit.

Anyway, not trying to piss off anyone here, I'm just so tired of people saying smoking is what causes the health care system to be over taxed. Alcohol is a huge issue in DUI crashes, liver and kidney cancer and failure...........no one seems to want to stop people from drinking unless they are pregnant.

K, enough said I'm ranting and just know this all comes from love!
    spockwhat and norealityhere like this.
    Yup, with donuts!!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    Yeah, they say nicotine is bad, BUT there are also studies that show it helps schizophrenics. My brother is a 3 pack a day smoker and a schizophenic. I think they might be on to somethin there.
    I don't want to support smoking, but I have a friend who was told not to stop because the nicotine is a good drug for his ulcerative colitus when it is flaring up. He has reduced his smoking quite a bit but does smoke more when he has a flare up to relieve symptoms.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

And one more rant...

The messages surrounding smoking are so contradictory.
    Cigarettes are still easy to buy, though taxed heavily here in Canada, but they put outrageous pictures on the packages and tell you not to smoke. But you can buy them at any convienience store on the corner.
    Also since smoking seems to cause every disease on the planet, why are smoking cessation aids not covered by drug plans?! I have smoked for more than 27 years. I did quit at one point for three years thanks to the help of a anti-depressant. Zyban (I think it's called) was the drug of choice for that purpose, but because it was seen as a smoking cessation aid, it was not covered under the health care system. My doctor gave me another prescription for a similar drug because she knew it would be covered. As far as I know, smoking is blamed for far more deaths than depression, but depression gets covered and quitting smoking doesn't. It's ridiculous!!
    SugarMama likes this.

Smoking and obesity are "out there" addictions. Available for all the world to see. AIDS, drug addictions, wife beaters, pedafiles...those things can be hidden fairly easily. So the judgements that smokers and fat people get are immediate, personal, and constant. Those who judge fat people and smokers to their face are cruel. Plain and simple. It's one thing to hear it coming from your doctor or your family. But the constant messages we hear from society in general are horrible. Its easy to internalize those negative messages and start beating yourself up over it. Which leads to a whole nuther place...

I smoked for 30 years. During those years, I LOVED it. Year 30 I decided it was time. Took Chantix and quit cold turkey. The worst of it was hour one. It got easier. By day 3 I felt freedom! Freedom from the constant occupation of smoking. It takes a lot of time and mental energy to smoke you know. I ended up taking chantix for 6 weeks. I remember trying a cigarette at the end of week one-it was NOTHING to me. So nice.

Almost 3 years later I picked up the habit again. Not as bad as before...so off to doc for another RX. I'm down to 1 cigarette a day and that is just hanging on for old times sake lol. I'm trying very hard not to beat myself up for it, I can get back to being a non-smoker.

What started me smoking again? Being around my brother. I'd bum one from him here and there... He is moving now and the last smoker I'm around on a regular basis. That helps a lot.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    What started me smoking again? Being around my brother. I'd bum one from him here and there... He is moving now and the last smoker I'm around on a regular basis. That helps a lot.
    Congratulations on giving it another go! Now that you know you can do it, it should be easier. Being around other smokers is like an alcoholic sitting in a bar and not having a drink - who has that kind of will power?

I remember when I was first quitting, I really had to adjust my routine (it kind of already had been because I went back to school so I left my "haunts" at work, lol). But I stopped going out to restaurants, for example, because I'd always had a cigarette after dinner. I stopped going to bars with my friends because that was another strong association with smoking. Little things like that made it so much easier. Plus, every time I'd have a craving, I'd brush my teeth (if convenient) or use a little mouthwash (I carried a little bottle) - it would remind me of how fresh my breath and mouth was! Seems a bit silly, but it worked for me, AND I wasn't replacing one addiction for another - sugar! A lot of people I've talked to about stopping smoking began substituting chewing gum...then munching on candies...kept going from there. Gaining weight is often an unfortunate side effect of quitting (worth it, though), and a lot of that can be avoided (in my opinion) by not jumping on the sugar train as a substitute for a cigarette.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Just a thought on the "did she smoke?" question raised above. I think people, especially non-smokers, raise that question as a defense mechanism. As in, "if she smoked and I don't then I won't get lung cancer" or whatever the disease was. It's the same kind of question you hear raised after someone was raped... did she wear a short skirt, go into a shady part of town, get blitzed, etc.....the asker can then say to herself, well, I don't do that, so I won't get raped. It comes across as blaming the victim and it's incredibly insensitive, but I think it comes from a place of self protection---maybe it will help deal with those questions if you think of them that way. I did a lot of work with rape victims and rape prevention services over the years, and I think I see an analogy. And the analogy continues---when someone who didn't smoke gets lung cancer, or someone who was a "good girl" gets raped it is seen as "unfair"...and super scary, because it means there is nothing you can do to completely protect yourself.
    Anyone who reads anything about smoking knows that starting smoking as a teen or younger makes it very very hard for most people to quit---as if something in the still developing brain gets altered. They also know that as mentioned above, the tobacco industry goes out of its way to make its product even more addictive. On the other hand, for those who don't smoke, even if they don't have smoke allergies, since much of the world is smoke free these days, the smell of smoke is really strong...and unpleasant, especially when "stale". Non-smokers appreciate smokers who make an effort to keep that away from the non-smokers. And pick up their @#&**!!! butts! Sorry, drives me nuts on campus...ashtrays around all the doors where smokers gather, and still piles of butts on campus. Grown up smokers rarely (relatively) throw their butts on the ground when there is an ashtray within sight, why do the kids???
    As to why the government doesn't make it illegal... it's still a big business in some states, it provides taxes, and Prohibition taught us that making something previous legal illegal and cutting off the supply will make a lot of previously law abiding citizens criminals...and cost the government a ton of money to police while providing the criminals a new revenue fund and one that makes them look like colorful characters rather than crooks.
    Last edited by PWS; 07-01-2011 at 12:36 PM.
    Lil Bit likes this.

MRD

thDidn't Christopher Reeves wife die of lung cancer and she was a non-smoker? Yeah, lots of stuff cause cancer. Lots of food makes us fat. Too much alcohol can make us an alcoholic. Unless you ARE hurting others, then it's personal and no one else's business in my opinion.

The other thing that gets me is that yes, tobacco is still grown and sold and taxed, yet marijauna which has been proven to help people is still illegal most places. I know so many people that do benefit from medical marijuana and others that could, but can't because where they live it's still illegal.

I go outside to smoke. I have had people that knew me for a long time be surprised that I smoked as they didn't smell it on it. I keep breath mints and I go outside to smoke. The other problem is that yes, I have friends that smoke and I know being around them will make me want to smoke (again, why the ecig sounds good). Drinking or talking on the phone makes me want to smoke. So yes, I know I need to change behaviors, but it may be hard to make new friends.
    par
    I think that I am working towards it. Each day I am getting my head in a better and better place about it. I am reducing some of the stress in my life and I think that in the next couple of weeks, I will have my ecig and will start the weaning process and yet, still have a crutch.

Oh and it just gets me that cigar smoking is ALL the rage now, yet they don't seem to be as villified as us cigarette smokers.

And here's another thing. I was going through some stuff and I found an ashtray I made for my parents when I was in elementary school in the 60's. Can you even imagine an art project in school today being an ashtray?

Well I just want to say thank you to everyone that has been so supportive and given advice adn told their own stories and knows that it's not easy. And congrats to those of you that did quit and thanks to all of you for helping the rest of us that are trying FORT has always been such a supportive place and honestly I can't think of anything that needs the support like quitting smoking. You guys are great. Thanks.
    Last edited by MRD; 07-01-2011 at 12:53 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Sorry for all the mistakes in the above post. My computer is acting crazy when I'm on Fort now and to go back and edit is even worse. Hope you can decode the above message.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread