+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 447
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

  1. #201
    Got wings 9/19/2012 buglover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    CA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    13,195

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Noreality, THANK YOU. I really do want to quit. And I know it's hard and like I did with weight loss, I have to get my head wrapped around it. Because I know that is going to be the key to success. I've got to change my thinking, prepare myself for the cravings, etc. I'm not saying this as an excuse, it's just that I need to prepare. I'm looking into the ecigarette to help. I've done a lot of research, talked to some folks and for me I think it will help. I'll still have the "action" while I wean off nicotine. I had success before with the 6 week patch system. The ecigs have different strengths of nicotine. They also have non-nicotine cartridges. So it may be that I can wean off, but still "enjoy" the "action" occasionally without the nicotine which is so addictive.
    But thank you for being so understanding and supportive. And good for you on your success at quitting.
    Since my son was diagnosed, I have been smoking and drinking way too much. I need to lose weight and stop smoking. I know stress is a trigger but life is full of stress so I'm going to try the E cigs and try to train myself that each time I feel the need to smoke, get up, take out the trash or clean something (which will burn a few calories at the same time)....maybe I can lose weight and quit smoking. Living in Cali my whole life, I'm ok with hiding when I smoke. I always go way out into the back parking lot near my car to smoke because I don't want anyone to smell it.

    MRD we should just have a text war each time we want to light up once we decide to quit for good! U can tell me no, go do something and I can tell you the same thing. We will be a team to beat!
    MRD and Cootie like this.
    Yup, with donuts!!

  2. #202
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,148

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    I think I saw the ecigarette on an episode of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.
    I actually used the patches the last time. They helped a lot.
    Whatever works for you is what you should use.
    I'm always happy to help.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

  3. #203
    FORT Fogey Dragonlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    3,912

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    For MRD:
    Had to laugh, when I read norealityhere's post about the E-cig on RHBH. Alison DuBois did not do the ecig business any favors w/her odd use of them! I almost didn't want to get one just because that woman looked so strange. But..... I did and it sure helped that need "to do something." I loved the "doing-ness" of the habit. I barely tolerated the smell, the yellow-ish stains throughout the house/car, etc. I did my best to be in denial of the health problems I was taking a chance with. Don't be afraid of the nicotine..it's not such a bad thing by itself, only when accompanied with burning tobacco. Use the Ecigs w/nicotine especially in the begining. I doubt after awhile you'll care about getting enough nicotine.

    More and more, I find myself having forgotten to take a drag off the Ecig. Long periods of time go by before I remember. And this can happen for you too. It's the first part that's really hard. Try anything: gum, e-cigs, hypnotism just to get past that first hump. Don't be a fool like me and wait until something so serious happens that takes away your good health. I lucked out that I didn't die nor will I have long time negative affects.

    Don't feel guilty, don't hate yourself and don't let others make you feel that way. YOu didn't ask to be "chained" involuntarily to such a habit.
    Life isn't fair. I see people wearing red, pink, blue etc, ribbons to support those who are dying of some disease. Sometimes these diseases are preventable and sometimes not. Has it finally come to a time when doctors will only treat people who didn't contribute to their illnesses or death? Alcholics, obese people, unsafe sex,.....on and on and on. We're all human and we all do dumb stuff. Don't hate yourself or feel less than others...even tho they'll try and make you feel that way. Remember you are in charge of you and only you will know when or what will make you stop.
    Ok. I'll get off my soapbox now.
    All my best wishes to you and others with the same goal.
    Cootie likes this.

  4. #204
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    Bug, great idea about the texting.

    thanks, noreality and dragonlady. Your posts actually make me want to quit even more. I think it's the more negative ones that will make me light one up just to thumb my nose. But then again, I think, they don't know how it feels. They have no idea and therefore cannot be understanding nor sympathetic. Just like I have NO idea how Buglover really feels with her son sick. I can be there and be supportive, but I don't know how that feels, so it would be awfully presumptive of me to tell her what to do as far as his treatments and doctors and her feelings and actions. So I just try to be supportive without being sanctimonious.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  5. #205
    FORT Fogey KatesMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Motor City
    Posts
    2,321

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    Good luck, MRD, I hope you can do it. I have struggled with smoking for quite a few years. I have actually been smoke free for a little over a year now. Problem is, I am not nicotine free - I just can't seem to get off the patches! And it is so much harder, because while I could get my head around getting off the cigarettes, because of the carcinogens, that issue isn't there for the patches. I know they are bad (and they are expensive), but I keep hearing this voice saying I have given up all my other vices, so I deserve something! Messed up, right!

    Oh, and on the negative comments from others - does anyone else notice that most of the time the most negative comments come from ex-smokers? I am always amazed because I think "you have been there, how can you be like that"? I have decided it is because they are secretly jealous that we are still smoking and that makes them angry - and it is easier for them to be angry at us than at themselves.
    MRD likes this.

  6. #206
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Good luck, MRD, I hope you can do it. I have struggled with smoking for quite a few years. I have actually been smoke free for a little over a year now. Problem is, I am not nicotine free - I just can't seem to get off the patches! And it is so much harder, because while I could get my head around getting off the cigarettes, because of the carcinogens, that issue isn't there for the patches. I know they are bad (and they are expensive), but I keep hearing this voice saying I have given up all my other vices, so I deserve something! Messed up, right!

    Oh, and on the negative comments from others - does anyone else notice that most of the time the most negative comments come from ex-smokers? I am always amazed because I think "you have been there, how can you be like that"? I have decided it is because they are secretly jealous that we are still smoking and that makes them angry - and it is easier for them to be angry at us than at themselves.

    I think you hit the nail on the head. But the least understanding are the ones that never smoked and seem to think it's as easy as just not buying cigarettes.

    But good for you for quitting. Have you tried the gum? Maybe you can wean off the patches to the gum and then wean off the gum.

    Yeah, they say nicotine is bad, BUT there are also studies that show it helps schizophrenics. My brother is a 3 pack a day smoker and a schizophenic. I think they might be on to somethin there.

    Every time I quit, I end up around smokers and I bum one and then I'm right back into it. That's another reason I'm thinkin the ecig might work for me. After the quittin smoking part, I can get the flavored non-nicotine cartridges and if I'm around smokers, I can "light up" too. I'm going to tell you though, if I do quit and the doctors ever tell me that I have so much longer to live, I'm going out smoking. At that point, what's it going to matter?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  7. #207
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,148

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Good luck, MRD, I hope you can do it. I have struggled with smoking for quite a few years. I have actually been smoke free for a little over a year now. Problem is, I am not nicotine free - I just can't seem to get off the patches! And it is so much harder, because while I could get my head around getting off the cigarettes, because of the carcinogens, that issue isn't there for the patches. I know they are bad (and they are expensive), but I keep hearing this voice saying I have given up all my other vices, so I deserve something! Messed up, right!

    Oh, and on the negative comments from others - does anyone else notice that most of the time the most negative comments come from ex-smokers? I am always amazed because I think "you have been there, how can you be like that"? I have decided it is because they are secretly jealous that we are still smoking and that makes them angry - and it is easier for them to be angry at us than at themselves.




    So, so true.
    Anyone remember Rob Reiner??
    He had been a heavy smoker for years, then he gave it up.
    He proselytized about the evils of smoking after that. Ran for office on tat platform - among others.
    I found him especially annoying, in particular because he was so unempathetic to smokers after having smoked for numerous years, himself. And, then, all he did was substitute food for nicotine. He ballooned up t over 350.
    Sorry, Meathead, you're just a meathead, after all!

    Smokers are the AIDS victims of the early 80's. Before the AIDS epidemic took over, people felt that "it was just a gay disease." It was awful the way the gay community was treated.
    It's kind of what is happening to smokers nowadays. My sister's best friend had lung cancer surgery over 6 months ago.
    The first question everyone asked, "is she a smoker?"
    People seem to feel that smokers "deserve" cancer and the like.
    It's really upsetting - the lack of tolerance that people can have.
    Sorry to be on my soapbox, but I'm an ex smoker who really feels for smokers.
    MRD likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

  8. #208
    chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,183

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere
    The first question everyone asked, "is she a smoker?"
    It's the question for any sickness, anytime. You get hit by a car, they ask, "yeah, are you a smoker?" You say yes, they nod and sigh. "Uh huh, we knew it!"
    There is such a tendancy in our society right now to look for the next worst reason for cancer. It's the cigarette smoke, the second-hand smoke, it's the asbestos in your house, it's the lead in your water, it's the big mac you ate, it's the chemicals in your lumber, etc. Sometimes I wonder if the government is looking for small things to blame to cover up the fact that it's the air we breathe. They can't address that, because that affects the bottom line.

    I'm not saying that the things I mentioned don't cause cancer, they do... but not all cancers. But we are always blaming smoking for everything. It's time to wake up and smell the air we breathe. I live in an industrial town and everytime I eat outside I have to clean a black layer of dust and grime off of my patio furniture.

    I'm quitting soon, and if I ever get sick and am asked if I am a smoker or a former smoker, I'm going to lie. I'm just going to say no, because it's none of their dang business either.

    As for the feeling that we are being villified as smokers, there is far too much of it, true. But I also think that smokers put a bit of it on themselves. I tend to avoid people when I have a cigarette... hanging out by my van, away from crowds of people. Part of it is I don't want to offend other people, but I also don't want people to look at me negatively, AND I don't want to feel bad about it. A friend of mine, a non-smoker, told me to knock it off. She said it doesn't affect how most people view me, and the people who do view me differently because of it... they aren't worth the bother.

  9. #209
    Ellie May SugarMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    ...
    Every time I quit, I end up around smokers and I bum one and then I'm right back into it. That's another reason I'm thinkin the ecig might work for me. After the quittin smoking part, I can get the flavored non-nicotine cartridges and if I'm around smokers, I can "light up" too. I'm going to tell you though, if I do quit and the doctors ever tell me that I have so much longer to live, I'm going out smoking. At that point, what's it going to matter?
    Wow, that brought back a few memories I'd completely forgotten about. I'd tried many, many times to quit, back when the Nicoret gum just came out - had to be prescribed and very expensive. Nothing worked.

    Your comment reminded me that when I finally DID quit - like got through a day or two without smoking - I'd always lose it when I got around other smokers, especially friends and in the old places where I'd smoke with them! Really, I'd forgotten all about that.

    However, the last time I tried to quit (the successful one) was when I'd changed jobs and wasn't really hanging around the same people anymore. I'd returned to school, so my social life changed 180 degrees....instead of going out with friends, I was in school. Your comment about being around other smokers reminded me that the key to MY quitting was NOT being around smokers for a while. For me it wasn't by design...it was just luck, my circumstances. I have to wonder if I could've quit if I'd have stayed in my same social environment while trying to quit!

    I have friends who've gone to AA to quit drinking, and one of the things they stress is to stay away from people who drink, places you went to drink, etc. I can see that being key!

    Since I was no longer around smokers when I quit, it made it SO much easier, though I didn't realize it at the time. Maybe I didn't develop some kind of "super strength" but my environment had changed, and in the long run it made quitting easier for me.

    Can you change your environment, too? Hope this helps! I'm having a "wow" moment
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

  10. #210
    Anarchist AJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charming
    Posts
    9,357

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    IYeah, they say nicotine is bad, BUT there are also studies that show it helps schizophrenics. My brother is a 3 pack a day smoker and a schizophenic. I think they might be on to somethin there.
    My best friend's mom suffered from schizophrenia and her doctor told my friend to lay off the nagging about cigarettes, because he felt that the emotional and physical effects of quitting would be too hard on her. I had heard similar medical advice regarding an elderly alcoholic, who also suffered from mental illness, at a nursing home I worked at - they allowed him to have a drink in a controlled environment daily so that he wouldn't suffer from withdrawal. It's not uncommon for those who suffer from a mental illness to self-medicate, particularly before they're diagnosed and/or treated. Then, of course, they've already got a monkey on their back - cigarettes, liquor, whatever.

    Good luck with your efforts to quit. I think your journey may be easier if you can find the same kind of motivation you found when you were losing weight, as you mentioned upthread. I don't know what strategies you used then, but you might be able to use some similar ones with quitting smoking.

    I wouldn't want to stop the strong messages about the health risks associated with smoking. Unfortunately, it is a hard truth that it causes an awful lot of awful illnesses and disease. The AIDS comparison made me think that it's not so much about stigmatizing sufferers, but warning people at risk to use condoms and not to re-use hypodermic needles. People who wouldn't dream of injecting a drug into their arms think nothing of lighting up a cigarette, even though the practice is potentially just as deadly.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.