+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

MRD

Re: Quitting Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I'm so glad I found this thread. If for nothing else, than to support and help those who really want to quit. It's also nice to express what smokers really feel. Non-smokers have no idea what it's like to smoke, to quit, to stay off of cigarettes or to be harrassed by a majority of society....to be treated like scum of the earth. People who have never been caught up in the serious addiction that smoking is, should have nothing to say about it except "hooray for all of you who wish to quit" because they don't really understand. It's so easy to point a finger at others when we all are guilty of lots of things and lots of finger pointing.
    I know people still believe in the hazards of second hand smoke. It would help everyone do more research on the subject because it's impossible to calculate and consistantly reproduce those same effects. Just because someone tells us it's hazardous does not make it true or provable....kind of like global warming.

But whatever,
    I feel strongly for those who want to quit and have failed. I lucked out, plain and simple. Pneumoia and fungus took over my lungs and I was in the hospital for over two weeks (a damn good start on quitting) not to mention the fact that even after, I had trouble breathing, so smoking should be the last thing I should do. But don't think for one minute, that I wouldn't love to have just one....but I know that "just one" will never be enough. But it took a huge knock on the head to finally get thru to me. That's how strong the desire is.
    For those who've never been addicted, be very grateful and have some tolerance for those caught up in it. Some of us had no idea when we started.
    Finally someone has the guts to say it.
    c
    I'm so sick of being judged like I'm some kind of child molester because I smoke and I struggle daily with an addiction that has total control over me. While I like smoking, I don't like the health hazards and I do want to quit and I have failed miserably on several occasions. And have been made to feel like a complete failure and menace to society. I appreciate all who are so supportive of us that are having a difficult time trying to overcome our repugnant behavior.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Finally someone has the guts to say it.
    c
    I'm so sick of being judged like I'm some kind of child molester because I smoke and I struggle daily with an addiction that has total control over me. While I like smoking, I don't like the health hazards and I do want to quit and I have failed miserably on several occasions. And have been made to feel like a complete failure and menace to society. I appreciate all who are so supportive of us that are having a difficult time trying to overcome our repugnant behavior.
    Just curious....what or who judges you as some type of child molester because you struggle with an addiction? It is really sad that cigarettes have taken "total control" over you. I doubt people really think of you as some sort of child molester but if something has taken complete control over you and made you to feel like a "complete failure and menace to society", it's time for change....no?

I realize that this could become a hot-topic subject and I usually avoid those but I want to say this and I truly don't want to offend anyone.

1. For every article on the hazards of second hand smoking, another can be found to show that it's not "provable." But that's my opinion, let's just agree to disagree because it won't be settled in our lifetime.

2. Dirt also causes discoloration but doesn't necessarily cause cancer or serious health hazards. Lots of things leave chemical residue such as what can be found in kitchens from just cooking and cleaning, etc.

3. I think if I'm interpreting myrosedog corrrectly, she meant that people can make a smoker feel worse than a child molester. I think a lot of us consider harm/damage to a child to be an extreme crime so I think she's just using that to show how really mean it can become. If you're a non-smoker, you have no experience or understanding of how appalling and extreme smoker-bashing has become.
    And you can be made to "feel like a complete failure and meance to society" without it being true. We only have to see racism to understand that.

I just don't understand how little tolerance is shown smokers when we're constantly being told to show tolerance and understanding for human failure or fraility in many, many aspects. The vehemence expressed is amazing and quite contrary to the belief of loving the sinner, not the sin (not that I think smoking is a sin). For those who believe in God, wouldn't we all be in quite a pickle if he was as judgemental and unforgiving as so many humans are???

I feel really good now to say "I'm a non-smoker" but only because I saw the complete devastation on my family's faces, when they thought I was dying. I don't want a selfish and foolish choice of mine to be the reason they feel pain sooner than necessary. I want to die in my '90's like most of my (non-smoking) relatives have and for family to say, She had a good long life. (of course, we could all get hit by a bus! - you never know.)
    Everyone has to find what it is that will help them make the tough decision and go through a very very difficult time of withdrawl. People telling them off, probably is not going to work.
    Last edited by Dragonlady; 06-27-2011 at 02:05 AM.
    judkay likes this.

I stopped a 15-year habit cold turkey - 23 years ago. It wasn't hard because my mom had just died from lung cancer...I looked at that last cigarette and for the first time didn't see a good old friend but instead I saw something that was trying to kill me. That sudden realization made a HUGE difference in the approach to quitting (which I tried and failed before many times).

Instead of sadly leaving an old friend, I was running from an enemy. World of difference. Best of luck to those trying to quit - you never know the difference it makes in your life until you're past it and looking backwards...no regrets!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I'm an ex and I applaud all who have quit, like myself.
    I do agree with My Rosie Dog, though.
    Smokers have become the 21st century lepers, it seems.
    That is very sad, as more empathy is given to those who have food addictions, drug addictions, alcohol addictions, etc.
    People seem to think that just because you know smoking is bad, you can easily stop it.
    Yet, all kinds of excuses / allowances are made for abusers of just about every other addiction out there.

WHY!!!

Quitting smoking is one of the most difficult addictions ever.
    I'm quite tired of everybody blaming smokers for poisoning their air, etc.

Sorry, but I'm more than a little peeved at people heaping abuse on smokers. And, this from an ex-smoker!!
    MRD likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I have to say that after I quit smoking, when I encounter cigarette smoke...whether in a large or small room, in a hallway or an alley...my lungs want to "shut down" - honestly, I have trouble breathing! It's not disgust or judgment, speaking for myself...my body is rejecting the smoke so strongly that I have to leave in order to breathe. Now this is coming from a former smoker who proudly had a sign that said "Thank you for holding your breath while I smoke" on her cubicle years ago! Seriously, I don't judge smokers AT ALL.....but I need to breathe, too. I can't choose my air! It's something that needs to be worked out.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I realize that this could become a hot-topic subject and I usually avoid those but I want to say this and I truly don't want to offend anyone.

1. For every article on the hazards of second hand smoking, another can be found to show that it's not "provable." But that's my opinion, let's just agree to disagree because it won't be settled in our lifetime.

2. Dirt also causes discoloration but doesn't necessarily cause cancer or serious health hazards. Lots of things leave chemical residue such as what can be found in kitchens from just cooking and cleaning, etc.

3. I think if I'm interpreting myrosedog corrrectly, she meant that people can make a smoker feel worse than a child molester. I think a lot of us consider harm/damage to a child to be an extreme crime so I think she's just using that to show how really mean it can become. If you're a non-smoker, you have no experience or understanding of how appalling and extreme smoker-bashing has become.
    And you can be made to "feel like a complete failure and meance to society" without it being true. We only have to see racism to understand that.

I just don't understand how little tolerance is shown smokers when we're constantly being told to show tolerance and understanding for human failure or fraility in many, many aspects. The vehemence expressed is amazing and quite contrary to the belief of loving the sinner, not the sin (not that I think smoking is a sin).
    For those who believe in God, wouldn't we all be in quite a pickle if he was as judgemental and unforgiving as so many humans are???

I feel really good now to say "I'm a non-smoker" but only because I saw the complete devastation on my family's faces, when they thought I was dying. I don't want a selfish and foolish choice of mine to be the reason they feel pain sooner than necessary. I want to die in my '90's like most of my (non-smoking) relatives have and for family to say, She had a good long life. (of course, we could all get hit by a bus! - you never know.)
    Everyone has to find what it is that will help them make the tough decision and go through a very very difficult time of withdrawl. People telling them off, probably is not going to work.
    Exactly.

Perhaps this thread is better left to those that smoke or have quit that have a better understanding of what we are going through and can offer real advice and support that is actually helpful and not judgemental.

Because, really, unless you have smoked, you honestly have NO idea. None, Zero, Zip, Nada.

And I am trying to quit or I wouldn't be in this thread.
    Last edited by MRD; 06-28-2011 at 06:00 AM.

MRD

Congrats, Dragonfly, Noreality and Sugar Mama for quitting. I know that it is a very real accomplishment to be very proud of. Because it is one of the hardest things we'll ever do.

I appreciate your stories, your encouragement and advice. And lack of piling more abuse on my head.

Honestly, I'd have more sympathy and support if I was a heroin addict. Just amazing isn't it?

Yet tobacco is legal. It is still being sold. But if we admit we smoke it or are addicted to it. OMG! Watch out, here come the villagers with torches and pitchforks.

MRD,

I feel for you.
    Both my parents smoked.
    That did not stop me.
    Cigarette warnings / scares did not stop me.
    I quit several times through the years, but always went back.
    It's that difficult an addiction. People who say it's not were never real smokers, IMO.

My Dr. said to me a few times that I should be able to quit, like she did. I asked her how long she had smoked. She said it was for a few months while she was in college.
    Give me a break...

I decided to quit for several reasons this last time. Number one was probably because I live in CA. People out here have more tolerance for child predators than they do for smokers. I just got sick and tired of being treated like I was a leper, I guess.....
    The best way to quit is to do it for yourself; not for anyone else.
    I wish you the best, my friend. You'll know when you're ready.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

Noreality, THANK YOU. I really do want to quit. And I know it's hard and like I did with weight loss, I have to get my head wrapped around it. Because I know that is going to be the key to success. I've got to change my thinking, prepare myself for the cravings, etc. I'm not saying this as an excuse, it's just that I need to prepare. I'm looking into the ecigarette to help. I've done a lot of research, talked to some folks and for me I think it will help. I'll still have the "action" while I wean off nicotine. I had success before with the 6 week patch system. The ecigs have different strengths of nicotine. They also have non-nicotine cartridges. So it may be that I can wean off, but still "enjoy" the "action" occasionally without the nicotine which is so addictive.
    But thank you for being so understanding and supportive. And good for you on your success at quitting.

+ Reply to Thread