+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Junkie Girl, that's great that you decided to quit smoking! From your avatar, I see that you started drinking instead. J/K.

Have you looked on the net for some info? Sometimes personal stories can be informative and inspirational. Anyway, I would suggest that you first try to do it without the aid of any medications. If that doesn't work, then maybe your doctor can recommend something safe with a high success rate. Speedbump seems to have some very good ideas too.

***Good luck to Speedbump. You keep on trying!!!***

Regardless of what you do, don't quit trying to quit. Even if you stumble, keep on trying. Let us know what you do and how it's going for you.

Maybe every time you don't buy a pack/carton of cigarettes, you can put that money in a glass jar as a visual reminder of what you monetarily gain. I've also heard people talk about food tasting better too.

I wish you the best of luck!

I smoked from age 15 to 23. When I was in high school I didn't smoke that much because I had to sneak any cigarette I had. When I went to college, I became a pack-a-day smoker. Since then ( I am now 32), I have gone through phases where I smoked for a few days here and there, I occasionally smoke a cigarette at a party, etc. But I usually end up with a cold after a few days and throw the cigarettes away in disgust. I know I will never be a full-time smoker again. I did quit for a few years before even daring to dabble occasionally.

All I can say is that one day, it just clicked for me that I did not want to be a smoker. What I had to do was change my attitude about what quitting smoking meant to me. Instead of looking at it like I was denying myself cigarettes, I viewed quitting as getting something I wanted - good health, no cigarette-stink, more money, being less-winded after physical exertion, etc. It really is all about the attitude and convincing yourself that it is something you want.

ANother thing I did was substituted a healthy obsession. I was so afraid of gaining weight when I quit, that I decided to drink water like it was going out of style. I kept a glass of ice water with a straw by me at all times. Whenever I started to obsess about wanting a smoke, I stuck that straw in my mouth and sucked down as much water as possible. The straw helped with the oral fixation, and the water helped in that it kept me full and kept me from eating everything in sight. Come to think of it, it probably hepled to flush the toxins from my body as well.

Junkiegirl, I know you can do it. Good luck, and keep us posted!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd
    This might be sort of off the wall but I do know two people who went to one of those "stop smoking" seminars where they hypnotize you...and it worked! They went in thinking it was a bunch of bull, but that was over a year ago and neither have smoked since. Whatever works, I guess!

I've been thinking about getting hypnotized to stop smoking as well. I figure I've tried so many times to consciously quit, maybe the better way is for me to "unconsciously" quit. Does anyone else have any experience in being hypnotized to stop smoking? Any recommendations for someone in Upstate NY who is qualified to do this for me, or must you wait for these "seminars" to come around?
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

OTS is right. Water was excellent for calming my cravings as well.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Good for you!!! You've made a great decision!

There are lots of great methods to quitting, and the trick is finding the one that will work for you, so if you try one thing and it doesn't seem to be working - try something else. You might try checking into any smoking cessation programs that are run by your insurance company or local university. Often they are free. The gum/patch work well for some people because it gradually weans you off the nicotine which is EXTREMELY addictive. It's not just in your head - your body craves the drug and won't give it up happily.

Wellbutrin is an anti-depressant which is also used to help people quit smoking. There are other prescription drugs that might help too - talk to your doctor!

One of my staff used a monitor (sort of like the one at http://www.qt-watch.com/home.html) that helped her gradually increase the time between cigarettes until she had quit completely in 30 days. It worked great for her.

There's a good article at http://more.abcnews.go.com/sections/...ing010622.html. If you search for "smoking cessation" you'll find lots of stuff.

It's true that the more times someone has tried to quit, the better their chances are, meaning that if you don't succeed - try, try again!

Don't give up!!!

I don't smoke, but I think Queen -B gave some good advice that makes a lot of sense that in some ways could apply to many bad habits!
    Anyway, my dad smoked for 30 years, 3 packs a day at the time that he quit for good. I remember that he had "quit" many times before he did it for real. And he did go "cold turkey". I remember him getting very sick, coughing, & coughing, & coughing & hocking all kinds of nastiness for about 2 or 3 weeks after he quit. But he stuck to it & he's been cigarette free for almost 20 years now (wow!). I don't know if you believe in God or a Higher Being, or if you meditate, or whatever, but for my dad, he would pray for God to help him every day, every night, every time he wanted a smoke, & he credits prayer & God for giving him the strength to quit.
    It's so weird, b/c when my dad smoked, cigarette smoke never bothered me, I guess b/c I was around it all the time; I even remember when I did my chores around the house I would clean out his ashtrays! But now, I can't stand it & am very sensitive to it; if I go out to a bar or club, I have sinus trouble for the next two days afterwards.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by MarksLove
    I've been thinking about getting hypnotized to stop smoking as well. I figure I've tried so many times to consciously quit, maybe the better way is for me to "unconsciously" quit. Does anyone else have any experience in being hypnotized to stop smoking? Any recommendations for someone in Upstate NY who is qualified to do this for me, or must you wait for these "seminars" to come around?

My husband's uncle, & two cousins all went to a seminar in Florida a few years ago. It worked for one cousin, but not the other, nor the uncle. Personally, I think you have to have an open mind & believe that it will work in order for it to work. If you go in with doubts or don't completely open your mind, I don't see how it can work.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

FORT Fogey
    One of the key things to remember when quiting smoking is to make sure to review all of the various side-bar addictions you have that are part of smoking.

ie: are you simply addicted to the nicotine? chances are you are also going to have to deal with withdrawl from the oral fixation (which is why people quiting smoking tend to chew pencils, snack more, get nervous with their hands, not knowing what to do with them in certain situations where they would normally be holding a cigarette.

Also are there certain times a day where you "take a break" and have a smoke? Like if you work in a smoke free office and have to go outside of the building to smoke. These breaks have become as much a part of your life as smoking. So even if you quit smoking, still take the breaks.

"Situational Smoking" is also very hard to break from - such as if you like to smoke when you go out to the bar or club with friends. A lot of people like to smoke while they drive also. These places all become associated with smoking and its all trickle down weaning.

So definately best of luck - but dont be discouraged if you have a lot of relapses. Most people probably dont finally quit until their umpteenth attempt - but at least they kept making the attempt - relapse or not.

Stargazer is reading my mind (again)...as soon as I read your post, Junkie Girl, I was gonna say...just get pregnant. Worked for me. As soon as the doc said "congratulations", the desire for a smoke completely left me.

Of course, after I had my first, I smoked occasionally, but since I found out I was pregnant with my 2nd, I haven't touched a cigarette since. It's been 2 years now, I just haven't felt like it. Weeeelll...sometimes I have, but since I didn't have any handy, the craving passed.

I REALLY liked smoking, too. I smoked from age 13 to 30. Junkie Girl, you have to really, and I mean really, want to quit, or you won't make it. If you do, and then backslide a bit, you can't just say "f*** it" and start again, either. Different methods work for different people, so try 'em all if you need to. Good luck to you.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by averagejane

I REALLY liked smoking, too. I smoked from age 13 to 30. Junkie Girl, you have to really, and I mean really, want to quit, or you won't make it. up
    I totally agree, AJ. You have to want to quit smoking more than you want the cigarette. For someone that LOVED smoking like I did, that was quite a feat. Finding something more important than the cigarette was an important step for me.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread