+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

Kudos to all of you that are trying to quit smoking cigarettes. Coming from someone who has asthma and quite honestly can not stand the smell of smoke....I appreciate that you at least try to keep that stink out of my space. I feel bad that you have become addicted to something that is ultimately going to kill you and I agree it's your choice to slowly kill yourself but please keep your cigarette smoke far away from me!

Good Luck to all of you for trying...I understand that it is more difficult to quit than a heroin or alcohol habit....so the best of luck to all of you....I am rooting for you!!!!!!!!
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Hear! Hear!!!! It's MY choice. I go outside, I go away from doorways and other people and I don't butt on the ground. But strangers feel the need to get in MY business. I flat out will say now: "And this is your business how?" I really want to say: "Oh THANK YOU, I did not know it was awful for me. You have saved my life, how can I ever repay your kindness for being smart enough to tell poor dumb me that this is so harmful." Geez. Yeah, I probably know better than others how bad it is. But I am not going to say anything. It's bad enough I have to hear people's private phone conversations because of cell phones, I don't want to hear their comments directed at me about my smoking. It is NONE OF THEIR business. And you know what? I enjoy it. I enjoy the heck out of it. I like everything about it. I am going to miss it when I quit.
    I completely understand what you're saying here. I, too, was very conscious of not offending anyone else w/smoking. I loved it also. I miss it greatly. But I do have a problem with people feeling entitled to be rude and get in others' business. I, too, get nauseous and headachy when someone wears too much cologne or perfume. I won't even mention how bad some people smell who never bathe!! I just try to get as far away as possible. We will always find ourselves in close proximity to uncomfortable situations. How we handle that is far more important.

I had no idea when I started smoking that it was so very addictive (mid-'60's). I wish more people had compassion for the fact that many smokers didn't realize how addicted they would become. It is a chemical,physical and emotional addiction that is perfectly legal. There is far more compassion for alcolholics than smokers. Many cases (not all) of AIDS/HIV are the result of particpating in ways that can jeopardize your health but they get a lot more support/understanding than the poor dumb smoker.

I'm glad I quit. I'm sorry it took such drastic measures to make me do so, mostly for my family than for me. But it's a personal thing and each person must decide for themselves. I just think that we need to remember that a smoker is not a bad person and shouldn't be treated as poorly as society does encourage us to do. Many, many people would quit smoking if it wasnt so very very difficult to do. They say it's a stronger addicton than heroine. And that's saying a lot!
    MRD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I

I had no idea when I started smoking that it was so very addictive (mid-'60's). I wish more people had compassion for the fact that many smokers didn't realize how addicted they would become. It is a chemical,physical and emotional addiction that is perfectly legal. There is far more compassion for alcolholics than smokers. Many cases (not all) of AIDS/HIV are the result of particpating in ways that can jeopardize your health but they get a lot more support/understanding than the poor dumb smoker.
    The thing I don't understand is how kids these days would even think about smoking. With all the education the kids receive these days about the harmful effects of cigarette smoking and not to mention the cost, I don't get it! When you watch old movies and old television shows like I Love Lucy or The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, it was soooo accepted in those days..where as these days you can hardly smoke outdoors (especially in CA) without at least a dirty look. A friend of mine told me in the 60s she would rest her ashtray on her pregnant belly! Can you imagine doing that now?

Like I mentioned above...GOOD LUCK to all you smokers that are trying to quit....

MRD

If you've never smoked. There is no way you can understand how addictive it is.
    I've quit before and it was terrible. I don't know why I started back. Have attempted to quit again. Was horribly mean, agitated, panicky. Headachy, paced like a caged animal and ate everything within reach. I've never been addicted to anything else, but have been told by alcoholics and drug addicts, it was easier to quit those than smoking.

I want to quit. I know I need to quit. I also know it's going to be hard.

But just because I smoke doesn't make me a villain or less of a person. Alcohol can have harmful effects too, but it's ok if you drink. As long as you don't smoke.
    just1paul likes this.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

If you've never smoked. There is no way you can understand how addictive it is.
    I've quit before and it was terrible. I don't know why I started back. Have attempted to quit again. Was horribly mean, agitated, panicky. Headachy, paced like a caged animal and ate everything within reach. I've never been addicted to anything else, but have been told by alcoholics and drug addicts, it was easier to quit those than smoking.

I want to quit. I know I need to quit. I also know it's going to be hard.

But just because I smoke doesn't make me a villain or less of a person. Alcohol can have harmful effects too, but it's ok if you drink. As long as you don't smoke.

I quit in Feb 2007 for good. I had made 3 or 4 attempts prior and had one period when I actually went 9 months. The cravings for nicotine or out of habit was horrible. I had been smoking outside for about 7 years because of my concern when I finally realized that 2nd hand smoke could affect Mona and Joey (bows head). For some odd reason, when I quit this last time I had no craving to smoke, eat or major habit changes. Maybe subconsiously it was because Mona died of rapidly advancing lung cancer. Myrosiedog - keep trying. I am thinking of you. And NO - you are NOT a villian.
    Last edited by just1paul; 06-25-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: added sentence
    MRD likes this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Was horribly mean, agitated, panicky. Headachy, paced like a caged animal and ate everything within reach. I've never been addicted to anything else, but have been told by alcoholics and drug addicts, it was easier to quit those than smoking.
    When I finally quit, I realized ahead of time I would be like that but knew that part would go away in a couple of weeks, and kept telling myself I can do ANYTHING for 2 weeks after all I've been through in life. the first week is the longest week in history, 2nd is a bit better. Forever after that, it's a matter of not having one in your hand, being triggered by certain events, whatever. Oh, and I didn't drink any beer or any other alcohol for a couple of months, kew I would smoke if I did! But yeeah, I STILL get a sudden urge now and then, and it's been 16 years. I think that's how people start back--that urge hits and they are unprepared for the fact that can happen FOREVER, and give in to that urge that goes away in a few minutes if you don't smoke.

No, no, not if you don't believe in drinking--believe it or not when I was a little kid you hardly ever heard of anyone drinking in my little town and when you did it was a whisper.
    But anyway, if anyone thinks you are "less of a person" because you smoke, then THAT person has the problem, not you.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Thank you Paul. Most people treat us smokers as villians.

I think sometimes it's the "just suck it up and quit" attitude some people have about smoking, losing weight and numerous other things.
    Unless you've walked in that persons shoes, "suck it up" is or can be insulting.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm so glad I found this thread. If for nothing else, than to support and help those who really want to quit. It's also nice to express what smokers really feel. Non-smokers have no idea what it's like to smoke, to quit, to stay off of cigarettes or to be harrassed by a majority of society....to be treated like scum of the earth. People who have never been caught up in the serious addiction that smoking is, should have nothing to say about it except "hooray for all of you who wish to quit" because they don't really understand. It's so easy to point a finger at others when we all are guilty of lots of things and lots of finger pointing.

I know people still believe in the hazards of second hand smoke. It would help everyone do more research on the subject because it's impossible to calculate and consistantly reproduce those same effects. Just because someone tells us it's hazardous does not make it true or provable....kind of like global warming.

But whatever,
    I feel strongly for those who want to quit and have failed. I lucked out, plain and simple. Pneumoia and fungus took over my lungs and I was in the hospital for over two weeks (a damn good start on quitting) not to mention the fact that even after, I had trouble breathing, so smoking should be the last thing I should do. But don't think for one minute, that I wouldn't love to have just one....but I know that "just one" will never be enough. But it took a huge knock on the head to finally get thru to me. That's how strong the desire is.

For those who've never been addicted, be very grateful and have some tolerance for those caught up in it. Some of us had no idea when we started.

From the link I posted above:

Why is secondhand smoke a problem?

Secondhand smoke causes cancer
    Secondhand smoke is classified as a "known human carcinogen" (cancer-causing agent) by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the US National Toxicology Program, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), a branch of the World Health Organization.

Tobacco smoke contains over 4,000 chemical compounds. More than 60 of these are known or suspected to cause cancer.

Secondhand smoke causes other kinds of diseases and deaths

Secondhand smoke can cause harm in many ways. In the United States alone, each year it is responsible for:

•An estimated 46,000 deaths from heart disease in non-smokers who live with smokers
    •About 3,400 lung cancer deaths in non-smoking adults
    •Other breathing problems in non-smokers, including coughing, mucus, chest discomfort, and reduced lung function
    •50,000 to 300,000 lung infections (such as pneumonia and bronchitis) in children younger than 18 months of age, which result in 7,500 to 15,000 hospitalizations annually
    •Increases in the number and severity of asthma attacks in about 200,000 to 1 million children who have asthma
    •More than 750,000 middle ear infections in children
    •Pregnant women exposed to secondhand smoke are also at increased risk of having low birth- weight babies.

Secondhand smoke may be linked to breast cancer

Whether secondhand smoke increases the risk of breast cancer is an issue that is still being studied. Both mainstream and secondhand smoke contain about 20 chemicals that, in high concentrations, cause breast cancer in rodents. And we know that in humans, chemicals from tobacco smoke reach breast tissue and are found in breast milk.

But a link between secondhand smoke and breast cancer risk in human studies is still being debated. This is partly because breast cancer risk has not been shown to be increased in active smokers. One possible explanation for this is that tobacco smoke may have different effects on breast cancer risk in smokers and in those who are exposed to secondhand smoke.

A report from the California Environmental Protection Agency in 2005 concluded that the evidence regarding secondhand smoke and breast cancer is "consistent with a causal association" in younger women. This means that the secondhand smoke acts as if it could be a cause of breast cancer in these women. The 2006 US Surgeon General's report, The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke, found that there is "suggestive but not sufficient" evidence of a link at this point. In any case, women should be told that this possible link to breast cancer is yet another reason to avoid being around secondhand smoke.

Secondhand smoke kills children and adults who don't smoke, and makes others sick (Surgeon General's report)

The 2006 US Surgeon General's report reached some important conclusions:

•Secondhand smoke causes premature death and disease in children and in adults who do not smoke.
    •Children exposed to secondhand smoke are at an increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), acute respiratory infections, ear problems, and more severe asthma. Smoking by parents causes breathing (respiratory) symptoms and slows lung growth in their children.
    •Secondhand smoke immediately affects the heart and blood circulation in a harmful way. Over a longer time it also causes heart disease and lung cancer.
    •The scientific evidence shows that there is no safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke.
    •Many millions of Americans, both children and adults, are still exposed to secondhand smoke in their homes and workplaces despite a great deal of progress in tobacco control.
    •The only way to fully protect non-smokers from exposure to secondhand smoke indoors is to prevent all smoking in that indoor space or building. Separating smokers from non-smokers, cleaning the air, and ventilating buildings cannot keep non-smokers from being exposed to secondhand smoke.
    I smoked for 32 years and quit specifically because of the effect MY habit was having on those that I love. My G&T, on the other hand, isn't bothering the person sitting next to me.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I know people still believe in the hazards of second hand smoke. It would help everyone do more research on the subject because it's impossible to calculate and consistantly reproduce those same effects. Just because someone tells us it's hazardous does not make it true or provable....kind of like global warming.

Well it is not scientific, nor from a medical professional, but I know for a fact that smoking and the byproducts caused Joeys fur to be white with a bit of a yellow hue, which was noticed AFTER I stopped smoking in the apartment because his fur became a brilliant white. Also when my apartment was painted a couple years ago we could see how yellow the off white had become and not only from age. I cleaned the carpet twice and the color improved and what was removed was that sickly yellow/brown leftover from smoking.

I simply because of this and the elimination of odor strongly believe this in enough proof that second hand smoke is hazardous.

Respectfully,

Good to know that you stopped. You'll feel better over the long run also.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread