+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Wow...never thought about that aspect of 2nd hand smoke. It might be a good way to motivate some younger folks to quit who never think about their pets.
    My husband and my cats were why I quit smoking.

And for those keeping track of methods, I smoked for 32 years and quit using Nicorettes. I then became addicted to the gum, chewed it for seven years and just used my time in the hospital and recuperating earlier this year to wean myself off of that. Further info for those who need to chew gum (regular gum, not nicotine gum) to help quit, those Stride commercials are actually telling the truth. I have never had a piece lose flavour before I tossed it. Very impressive, though slightly scary.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

My husband quit smoking last year, after many attempts. He did use the e-cigs for a while. I can't remember what brand he used, but he researched a BUNCH of them. As I recall, they are expensive to use (you have to have the nicotine capsules shipped to you?). Maybe now you can just buy them in a retail shop.

He didn't find them to be satisfying - the psychological things about the smoking habit, the comforts of it (holding it, lighting it, the oral gratification) were still an itch for him.

He wound up using nicotine gum for 6 months and that did the trick for him. He still missing smoking, though
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
    I never thought of it either until then because all of the by products stay in the space. One other thing I noticed also, that while Joey was white & black - his colors became brilliant after a while of no smoking in the apartment.
    So Joey licked all the pollutants off his fur...? Ugh, yet another downside for the cats of a smoker and one that dogs and children don't suffer. If you've ever looked at the windows in a "smokers' room", usually so discolored that you can barely see out them, you can imagine what was on Joey's fur.... Poor kitties... Let that be an inspiration to the cat owning smokers out there!

So Joey licked all the pollutants off his fur...? Ugh, yet another downside for the cats of a smoker and one that dogs and children don't suffer. ...
    Actually, they do -- and allergic/asthmatic adults, too -- though not by licking. If I'm in a vehicle or public transport, for example, next to a smoker, anywhere close for more than a few minutes -- even if the person doesn't smoke at all when s/he is with me -- I have horrible asthma problems afterwards. Chest/upper back lung pain, dizziness, fatigue, rattling exhale, etc. It usually hits full force, though, a few hours after exposure.
    (Of course, I have the same reaction to animal dander -- loads of fun to try to negotiate public transportation, doctor appts., a meal in a restaurant, etc., when someone has a service dog...)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

So Joey licked all the pollutants off his fur...? Ugh, yet another downside for the cats of a smoker and one that dogs and children don't suffer. If you've ever looked at the windows in a "smokers' room", usually so discolored that you can barely see out them, you can imagine what was on Joey's fur.... Poor kitties... Let that be an inspiration to the cat owning smokers out there!
    Exactly!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Actually, they do -- and allergic/asthmatic adults, too -- though not by licking. If I'm in a vehicle or public transport, for example, next to a smoker, anywhere close for more than a few minutes -- even if the person doesn't smoke at all when s/he is with me -- I have horrible asthma problems afterwards. Chest/upper back lung pain, dizziness, fatigue, rattling exhale, etc. It usually hits full force, though, a few hours after exposure.
    (Of course, I have the same reaction to animal dander -- loads of fun to try to negotiate public transportation, doctor appts., a meal in a restaurant, etc., when someone has a service dog...)
    If someone who smokes comes near me my nose starts to "tighten" up and I begin to get a headache.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
    If someone who smokes comes near me my nose starts to "tighten" up and I begin to get a headache.
    There really *is* something to the residue. The smokers I encounter pooh-pooh the whole issue and call me an over-sensitive California hippie tobacco hater. But I *know* I'm not imagining it!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

the E-Cig had been helping me more than I expected...its good to have..of course since I just started it I still slip up and have to have a real cig..but I have cut that down to just 1/2 a pack a day so far and i will continue to cut it down

its usually when I am really stressed when I reach for a real one..like today when the dentist handed me an estimate on what it was gonna cost me to fix several of my teeth.....I did reach for a real one..but thats a big problem why my teeth need work now
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Awww, BF. The dentist is like the boogeyman, isn't he? I'm so sorry you have a dental crisis to deal with on top of quitting cigs.

Congrats on getting down to half a pack, though. WTG, girl! Keep us updated, OK? I know we're all rooting for you.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I never noticed this thread before now but I sure have a lot to say!!
    In mid-April, I was admitted to the hospital. Diagnosis: double pneumonia with an additional fungus invasion of lungs. I was soon put into a medically induced coma because I couldn't breathe and needed a ventilator. They kept me in the coma for 8 days, trying to get me off the ventilator but my lungs weren't ready. Meds that would help the pneumona would increase the fungus. MEds that helped the fungus made my heart enlarge and go into overdrive and possible kidney shutdown.
    I'm in a coma so I have no idea all this is going on but it nearly destroyed my family, watching all the machines keeping me alive. They gave me 20% chance of recovering. I spend another 8-9 days, semi sedated, ventilator out but still hooked up to lots of things. I couldn't walk due to atrophy of muscles, couldn't hardly pick up a glass of water, lost a ton of weight and looked like a corpse. My daughter who's 36, is still having problems of remembering how I looked (almost dead) in ICU while she was helpless.
    I just turned 65 and started smoking at 17. I love it. I loved the business of it...the lighting up, the tapping of the ash, the socialness of it. In recent years, I found I didn't smoke as much as I used to because to me it was a social thing and fewer and fewer people smoked anymore. I could go for long periods of time (2-3hrs) w/o smoking and be fine. People told me about a lot of great ways to quit but you have to WANT to quit and I never did.

My pulmonary doctor seems to think my lungs will never recover back to normal. (I hope to prove him wrong) I'm exhausted most of the time, because it's so hard to breathe and w/o oxygen, nothing in our body works well. I still need to have O2 when I sleep at night. I can't even walk to the kitchen without having to stop to catch my breath. I have exercizes to do to help my lungs recover but it's a long long road.
    Had I not smoked for so long, I would never have been so very ill and would have recovered much faster. Could have looked forward to recovering 100% but now I don't know if that will happen.
    Mostly, I feel horrible for what I put my family through. The strain and anxiety I saw on their faces when I woke up is unbearable to remember. My daughter is 6 months pregnant with my first grandchild and prayed non stop that her soon to be born son would know his grandmother. She and I are extremely close. Just holding her hand made me try harder just to get better.
    My lungs are still inflammed, with scars and retaining some fluid still. It's not fun but I realize it could be a lot worse and that's why I finally stopped. I used the time in the hospital as an easy begining and I've never tried one again. I'd love to!!! I miss it!!! Sometimes very badly. But whenever I think of it, I remember the looks on my family's face, thinking they were losing me.
    My hubby got me an E-cig that I really like. It's made by Square and can be purchased at smoke (!!) shops but I now get them online. I like this one because it doesn't need to change cartridges, it's good for 500 puffs and then you throw it away and they sure do last. They come w/various amounts of nicotine or none, depending on what you want so I highly recommend them. Although I find as time goes by, I "puff" on them, less and less.
    I will never NOT want to smoke, I miss it. I dream about it. (really!!) But for me it took drastic measures to make me quit.
    Don't think "it won't happen to me" because that's what I thought too and it did happen to me and I'm rarely sick.
    I hope I never forget the look that I saw on my family's and friends' faces when they remember how I looked all hooked up to machines, thinking I was not going to make it. This in itself will keep me from every picking up another cigarette.
    Sorry this is so long but maybe it will help someone else.

+ Reply to Thread