+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

MRD

Re: Quitting Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3200315;
    As has been acknowledged here, we are all very different in how our bodies handle meds. When my DR. gave me wellbutrin, she gave it to me as a stop smoking aid and not for depression, as I don't have the latter. My sister's DR. gave her wellbutrin for depression, which she did have. I was suicidal on wellbutrin and had to stop taking it. My sister, however, felt uplifted and not at all depressed. She still takes it.
    My next door neighbor took Chantix as a stop smoking aid and he has stopped smoking for a couple of months now. He did have some vivid dreams on it, but not nearly as bad as some other people.
    Medications have very different effects on people and so it is good to have as much information as possible on them before the decision to take them. Always keep in mind, though, that while a particular med may work for person A, it could be disastrous for person B.
    Truer words have never been spoken. I have to add that while your doctor is the person you really need to talk to about your meds, quite often they are not nearly as up on ALL the drug info, so developing a great relationship with your pharmacist is a good idea as well. Mine has helped me numerous times and even called me at home one evening to check on me because when I picked up a new prescription, I had a lot of questions about it and was kind of anxious about it. He had to work until 10 that night and about 8:30 he called me to ask how I was feeling and if I was having any side effects or had any other questions. I am still blown away by the level of service I receive at my pharmacy.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3200666;
    Truer words have never been spoken. I have to add that while your doctor is the person you really need to talk to about your meds, quite often they are not nearly as up on ALL the drug info, so developing a great relationship with your pharmacist is a good idea as well. Mine has helped me numerous times and even called me at home one evening to check on me because when I picked up a new prescription, I had a lot of questions about it and was kind of anxious about it. He had to work until 10 that night and about 8:30 he called me to ask how I was feeling and if I was having any side effects or had any other questions. I am still blown away by the level of service I receive at my pharmacy.
    MRD,
    You are fortunate to have such a good and caring Dr, as well as a good pharmacy. And I totally agree about the pharmacist having some info that the DR. may not have. At least, nowadays, we have a lot more information at our disposal than prior generations did. And that enables us to ask questions of all our health care providers and become better informed consumers.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 09-18-2008 at 02:47 PM. Reason: error

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3200956;
    MRD,
    You are fortunate to have such a good and caring Dr, as well as a good pharmacy. And I totally agree about the pharmacist having some info that the DR. may not have. At least, nowadays, we have a lot more information at our disposal than prior generations did. And that enables us to ask questions of all our health care providers and become better informed consumers.
    Thanks, I haven't always had such good doctor's. I've had some real doozies, but I like the ones I have now quite a lot.

Yep, today's information age certainly helps us be better consumers especially when there are SO many different types of medicines out there.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Smoking

I don't know if I am allowed to put this thread here or not if not I apologize and mods please remove....but since I am down to my last pack and am trying to quit I wondered if anyone can tell me more about this e cig I have bought and will try tomorrow...

the doctor will not give me chantax because of my depression issues and he suggested the e cig was just wondering if anyone else has used this and if it works for you
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Re: Smoking

I cannot give you any information about the e cig, but I quit 2 years ago using chantax. I just want to wish you the best of luck on the quitting. It is the most difficult thing I have done but well worth it. Do not worry about gaining weight, you will, but it will come off. Take it one day at a time and before you know it time will pass quickly. Even though it has been 2 years, I still have days I would like one, but know I can never smoke again.
    There's no place like home!

Re: Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I cannot give you any information about the e cig, but I quit 2 years ago using chantax. I just want to wish you the best of luck on the quitting. It is the most difficult thing I have done but well worth it. Do not worry about gaining weight, you will, but it will come off. Take it one day at a time and before you know it time will pass quickly. Even though it has been 2 years, I still have days I would like one, but know I can never smoke again.
    thanks for the encourgment..about the weight..lol..I already have enough of that so I guess a few more won't matter..lol

MODS..thanks for combining my thread with this one...I looked and I guess I just didn't see it...glad to also know I am not the only one of the board with this issue...gives me others to talk too

you know I have stopped smoking 3 times in my life..but..all 3 times I was pregnant and just the smell of it make me throw up each time..

but within hours of delivering first thing I wanted was a cigarette..lol can't explan it but it was like 9 months of craving hit me and hit me hard and fast and I had to have it

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I know a lot of FORTers have tried to quit smoking, but from reading this it seems like not a lot of success so far...and often those that had succeeded seemed to be in odd situations (e.g., stuck in a hospital for surgery for a week). Since the thread has been dormant a couple of years, did any more people succeed?
    Also wondered if anyone has tried what one person told me she did (I'm not a smoker--this was part of a conversation on how different dieting is from quitting smoking)---she was a heavy smoker, and quit by eliminating the first cigarette of the day...so if she normally smoked as soon as she got up and then at breakfast and then in the car on the way to work, etc., she'd eliminate the out of bed one for a couple of weeks, then eliminate that plus the breakfast one for a couple of weeks, and so on. It took her quite a while to get to that last one, but I'm sure if she even cut way back it was better for her than being such a heavy smoker.
    Also have heard that there aren't actually all that many heavy (pack a day type) smokers any more. More people who smoke one or two a day or a week. The anti smoking campaigns are all aimed at the heavy smokers, not the social smokers as it were, and now they are having to revamp them all for this new audience, as the old ads don't work for them. Even small amounts of smoke correlate with health problems so they are aiming to reduce it to zero.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I know a lot of FORTers have tried to quit smoking, but from reading this it seems like not a lot of success so far...and often those that had succeeded seemed to be in odd situations (e.g., stuck in a hospital for surgery for a week). Since the thread has been dormant a couple of years, did any more people succeed?
    Also wondered if anyone has tried what one person told me she did (I'm not a smoker--this was part of a conversation on how different dieting is from quitting smoking)---she was a heavy smoker, and quit by eliminating the first cigarette of the day...so if she normally smoked as soon as she got up and then at breakfast and then in the car on the way to work, etc., she'd eliminate the out of bed one for a couple of weeks, then eliminate that plus the breakfast one for a couple of weeks, and so on. It took her quite a while to get to that last one, but I'm sure if she even cut way back it was better for her than being such a heavy smoker.
    Also have heard that there aren't actually all that many heavy (pack a day type) smokers any more. More people who smoke one or two a day or a week. The anti smoking campaigns are all aimed at the heavy smokers, not the social smokers as it were, and now they are having to revamp them all for this new audience, as the old ads don't work for them. Even small amounts of smoke correlate with health problems so they are aiming to reduce it to zero.
    well I smoke about a pack a day now..it was much less when I had a job but since I have depression issues the doctor won't let me have the chantax thats why he suggested the e cig..that way you can still get the nicotine without all the other things and the doc told me you can reduce the amount of nic with the e cig little by little til you wean yourself off...she said for me this was the best choice...I can't answer about what is best for anyone else....but here's the kicker he said that was how himself had finally quit

I guess I was fortunate. I just stopped one day - that was it. It's been four years now.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread