+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 443
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

  1. #131
    Miz Smarty Britches queenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    running for the border
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,776

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by tylerneal09;3196456;
    I picked up on smoking last year, and quit in April. I admire anyone who has the determination to quit!
    Best of all, you didn't wait 20 years to figure out how NOT cool smoking is--after you had spent countless dollars, ruined God knows how many clothes, and done who knows what to your future health!!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

  2. #132
    FORT Fogey Lil Bit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,379

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by Melitta;3196103;
    Welbutrin is the generic for Zyban. I couldn't remember the name in my earlier post. That is the one that had me smoking twice as much as I did BEFORE I started taking it. I know generics are suppose to be the same as the original, but not this one, at least in my case. Zyban for me, was so calming and I had too push myself to finish the last of my cigarettes (couldn't let them go to waste!).
    My husband used Welbutrin when he quit once many years ago. Our insurance would pay for that, which is normally used as an anti-depressant, but wouldn't pay for Zyban. How dumb is that? Anyway, he had to stop taking the Welbutrin because it caused a rash. He never tried Zyban. He has a prescription for Chantix, but hasn't started it yet. I don't know if he ever will. He doesn't really want to quit you know, just knows that he should.

  3. #133
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3196699;
    My husband used Welbutrin when he quit once many years ago. Our insurance would pay for that, which is normally used as an anti-depressant, but wouldn't pay for Zyban. How dumb is that? Anyway, he had to stop taking the Welbutrin because it caused a rash. He never tried Zyban. He has a prescription for Chantix, but hasn't started it yet. I don't know if he ever will. He doesn't really want to quit you know, just knows that he should.
    WEllbutrin and Zyban are the same drug with 2 different names. That's weird they'd pay for one and not the other.

    I already take WEllbutrin and it does nothing for the smoking. But I've taken it for YEARS so maybe that's why.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  4. #134
    FORT Fogey livin4reality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lawrence KS
    Posts
    2,586

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    ditto MRD.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

    Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

  5. #135
    FORT Fanatic Melitta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    484

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3197024;
    WEllbutrin and Zyban are the same drug with 2 different names. That's weird they'd pay for one and not the other.

    I already take WEllbutrin and it does nothing for the smoking. But I've taken it for YEARS so maybe that's why.
    Exactly, but when I took the Welbutrin, I smoked twice as much. With Zyban, I was able to quit and very easily at that. Doesn't make much sense that one worked and the other had the opposite effect...they are suppose to be the same.

    Lit Bit, if your husband does decide to take the Chantix, make sure you watch for any side effects. Others have posted on here also the odd ways Chantix effected them. It was awful for me.

    Kind of off the subject, but anyone trying to get medication without insurance if you have a local Costco, call them and check with their pharmacy. You do not have to have a membership to get in to the pharmacy. They are suppose to have the best prices on prescription meds. If you don't have a Costco, call ALL your surrounding pharmacies and price check them. Not all pharmacies charge the same price. Walgreens and CVS have some of the highest percentage of mark ups on their meds. There was a big story done on this in Detroit. Also Wal-Mart just started a new OTC program last month. OTC that are $4 or less. Most are the Equate brand, but that is usually what I buy anyway.

    http://i.walmart.com/i/if/hmp/fusion/OTC_drug_List.pdf
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

  6. #136
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    I do think that while Zyban and Wellbutrin are the same drug, the difference is in the way it is prescribed as in strengh of the dose and times it is taken. I don't know that much about how Zyban is prescribed for quitting smoking, but I am VERY familiar with how Wellbutrin is prescribed for depression.

    I was told that Wellbutrin would help me with both appetite and smoking. Ha! Didn't have any effect whatsoever on either one. But as these are drugs that change the brains chemicals, EVERYONE has different kinds of reactions. The same drug very often has extremely different effects on 2 different people.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  7. #137
    Got wings 9/19/2012 buglover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    CA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,194

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    Wellbutrin made me suicidal when I took it years and years ago. I was weeping uncontrollably for days until I finally went to the doctor and he took me off the drug. I've never tried it as a stop smoking aid but I know I won't take it again for anything. Chantix has worked for many people I know but as you've said MRD, everyone is completely different chemically so it may just not work for some people.
    Yup, with donuts!!

  8. #138
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3198025;
    Wellbutrin made me suicidal when I took it years and years ago. I was weeping uncontrollably for days until I finally went to the doctor and he took me off the drug. I've never tried it as a stop smoking aid but I know I won't take it again for anything. Chantix has worked for many people I know but as you've said MRD, everyone is completely different chemically so it may just not work for some people.
    Here is a prime example of the same drug having 2 totally different effects. Wellbutrin makes me normal. I've taken about 10 different anti-depressants over the years with some serious side effects and problems. I got on Wellbutrtin and thought it a miracle drug. I know one other person that also thinks it's a miracle drug. But I know several that coudn't take it at all. That's why there are so many different anti-depressants out there as one just doesn't work for everyone.

    I am concerned about the Chantix and it's effects as I seem to be really prone to the side effects of drugs like Chantix and anti-depressants.
    My doctor's want me to take Elavil because it helps with the interstitial cystitis I'm having. I said NO. I took it once, had terrible problems with it and I'm not taking it again. I was prescribed Cymbalta for my fibromyalgia and it made me psychotic and other horrible problems. I know I would be dead now if I had continued to take it. I'm not exaggerating. But I know some that take it with no problem whatsoever.

    But I hope the Chantix will prove to be ok for me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  9. #139
    FORT Fogey Lil Bit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,379

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    My husband hasn't started taking the Chantix yet and now I'm beginning to hear all these bad side effects about the drug so it's making me nervous. I didn't go with him to his Dr. appt. when he got the prescription and I usually do because he never asks any questions, and I always have a million of them. Plus he didn't see our regular MD because she is always so busy and he wanted to get the prescription filled before our insurance ran out. (We had to switch insurance when I got laid off) So I'm thinking that I might just try to see our regular doc and ask a few questions of her. He is already taking an anti-depressant and I need to know how combining the two might affect him.

  10. #140
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,139

    Re: Quitting Smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3198310;
    My husband hasn't started taking the Chantix yet and now I'm beginning to hear all these bad side effects about the drug so it's making me nervous. I didn't go with him to his Dr. appt. when he got the prescription and I usually do because he never asks any questions, and I always have a million of them. Plus he didn't see our regular MD because she is always so busy and he wanted to get the prescription filled before our insurance ran out. (We had to switch insurance when I got laid off) So I'm thinking that I might just try to see our regular doc and ask a few questions of her. He is already taking an anti-depressant and I need to know how combining the two might affect him.
    As has been acknowledged here, we are all very different in how our bodies handle meds. When my DR. gave me wellbutrin, she gave it to me as a stop smoking aid and not for depression, as I don't have the latter. My sister's DR. gave her wellbutrin for depression, which she did have. I was suicidal on wellbutrin and had to stop taking it. My sister, however, felt uplifted and not at all depressed. She still takes it.
    My next door neighbor took Chantix as a stop smoking aid and he has stopped smoking for a couple of months now. He did have some vivid dreams on it, but not nearly as bad as some other people.
    Medications have very different effects on people and so it is good to have as much information as possible on them before the decision to take them. Always keep in mind, though, that while a particular med may work for person A, it could be disastrous for person B.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 09-17-2008 at 03:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.