+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

I just quit again last Thursday. Last time I had quit was 23 years ago. Had quit for 4 years and then a relative ( yes, of all people ) wanted me to join him in smoking. As I was there over a weekend, I did join him, and was hooked once again. I will tell you it was not that difficult when I stopped last time. I was totally ready - nobody had told me to quit, it was totally my own decision. That is the only way that you can quit - if you want to.
    THis time, although I felt in a rational sense that I needed to quit, I found it so much more difficult. Tobacco is more addictive than even cocaine and other hard drugs. And this time - smoking for 19 years - was seriously taking a toll on me. Plus, 1 very important thing - I really did not want to quit as I like smoking.
    Both times, I have done it cold turkey.
    Every day is a struggle, but I know that I can do it.
    And when you are ready, you will be able to do it, too.
    Good Luck.

Good luck, norealityhere! I hope the cold turkey quitting will work for you again.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3193671;
    Good luck, norealityhere! I hope the cold turkey quitting will work for you again.
    Thank you very much!

I hope your quit goes smoothly norealityhere.

So I've decided to stop taking the chantrix. I'm having real scary mood swings. Depressed, tears one minute and the next manic energy/racing thoughts and then comes anger. It is very frightening what has been going on. So. we shall see.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3193697;

So I've decided to stop taking the chantrix. I'm having real scary mood swings. Depressed, tears one minute and the next manic energy/racing thoughts and then comes anger. It is very frightening what has been going on. So. we shall see.
    Livin,

Thanks. And glad to hear about yours, as well. As far as the Chantix, I have heard pros and cons about it. Most of the cons, though, came from the people who had the awful dreams, etc. on Chantix. Drugs seem to have such different effects on everyone. The DR. had given me welbutrin quite a while ago as she said it is very effective for people trying to quit. Well, within a week I felt I was flipping out and was suicidal, as well. That is probably why I chose to go the cold turkey route again this time. Whatever works for you is best.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3193697;

I've been wondering about you, livin4.
    Do NOT use this as an excuse to smoke again! Now you've gone this long, you can make it without drugs! If you smoke, I'm coming wherever it is and and you will be sorry! Seriously, you can do this. I know I'm the bee-otch here, but someone has to be. I just don't see the benefit af telling you "If you mess up, it's OK". No, it's not. If you did, my advice would be, "Now you have to start all over, what a pain in the ass", not "it's ok". But I know that's not going to happen--you aren't going to smoke. You may want to, and that is not something you can help, but you will NOT actually do it!

O don't know if you read this whole thread, but I started smoking at 13, and smoked until I was 35, up to near 3 packs a day. 13 years later I still have dreams that I messed up and started smoking again and very rarely, in certain circumstances, the ciggy demon will tempt me to ask for a smoke. But I'll never ever do it, I know.

Notreallyhere, I did quit cold turkey-- after 3 weeks, it's down hill from there except for the surprise attacks I described above, and avoiding smoking 'because I have x event causing too much stress" in the short term.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

it is good to read your post queenb. You just dived right in there with all the fears I have now. I do know the chantrix has been keeping the cravings at bay, that's for damn sure. I can feel them nibbling around the edges..waiting like shark with teeth bared for the rest of this drug to wear off.

I've been almost smoke free for a month. Most of the worst is over...actually it is over. Now I find out how deep that desire I have to be a non-smoker goes.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

To all of you who have quit smoking; tried, failed, and tried again to quit smoking; and are taking the steps to quit smoking: THANK YOU!!! I have serious allergies (pet dander, smoke, some other stuff) that affect my lungs and larynx. I'm not sure if it's asthma, or just a version of an allergic reaction, but when I breathe in even a little secondhand smoke -- EVEN OUTDOORS -- I lose my voice and get gunk in my lungs. It's not always apparent, because I don't wheeze on the inhale -- just the exhale -- and it's not an immediate reaction; usually it's the middle of the night and the next day. If I don't use my inhaler (from which I get icky, jumpy side effects), I get winded just from talking and have even gotten dizzy to the point of passing out because of the "lung gunk." The smokers (and people with pets) generally don't get it because I'm not sneezing, wheezing and coughing right away. But a few do.

So thank you for quitting smoking for yourselves. But on a "selfish" note, thank you even more for myself and people like me.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3193714;
    Livin,

Thanks. And glad to hear about yours, as well. As far as the Chantix, I have heard pros and cons about it. Most of the cons, though, came from the people who had the awful dreams, etc. on Chantix. Drugs seem to have such different effects on everyone. The DR. had given me welbutrin quite a while ago as she said it is very effective for people trying to quit. Well, within a week I felt I was flipping out and was suicidal, as well. That is probably why I chose to go the cold turkey route again this time. Whatever works for you is best.

Welbutrin is the generic for Zyban. I couldn't remember the name in my earlier post. That is the one that had me smoking twice as much as I did BEFORE I started taking it. I know generics are suppose to be the same as the original, but not this one, at least in my case. Zyban for me, was so calming and I had too push myself to finish the last of my cigarettes (couldn't let them go to waste!).
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

I picked up on smoking last year, and quit in April. I admire anyone who has the determination to quit!
    i keep bleeding love.

+ Reply to Thread