+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

I buy by the carton (Virginia Slims 35.00) here.
    I don't EVEN wanna think about the money I've spent and continue to spend on Cigarettes. Although I'm thrilled about my trip to Vegas, I dread the 4hr. trip from Cincinnati to Vegas... I have the Nicotine gum packed and ready to go. That gum helps my craving, but still doesn't quite substitute for the real deal. The minute I get off the plane I will be on the hunt for the closest exit so I can light up.
    What a mean vicious Demon nicotine is!!! I wish I could quit, but I'm just not that strong, not to mention I'd probably weight 300 lbs vs. my 105 that I am now. Do I die of Lung Cancer or a weight related death? There's just no easy answer!

BIG to those who've fought and continue to fight that mean Demon!!
    Last edited by BoBoFan; 09-03-2008 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. I do need to slam that final door shut Queenb. That may be the hardest part of al this. There is still a tiny part of me saying "I could go back to the ciggs in a couple years or so..if I wanted" I suppose that is the addiction talking. Doc wants me to take the chantrix for 5 more months! Ohmy gosh the vivid epic dreams I have every night. One was my dogs head was perfectly roasted and presented to me. I sliced off a jowl and it was tasty, so I gave the rest of it to my dog (now mysteriously perfectly healthy) Thankfully this is one of the more "out there" dreams and most of them are just reliving the days events.

As far as money saved...$150 bucks as of today. I've already spent it Went out and bought a Wii. Love that thing!

MRD-you'll make it some day. I have complete faith in you.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoFan;3187306;
    I buy by the carton (Virginia Slims 35.00) here.
    I don't EVEN wanna think about the money I've spent and continue to spend on Cigarettes. Although I'm thrilled about my trip to Vegas, I dread the 4hr. trip from Cincinnati to Vegas... I have the Nicotine gum packed and ready to go. That gum helps my craving, but still doesn't quite substitute for the real deal. The minute I get off the plane I will be on the hunt for the closest exit so I can light up.
    What a mean vicious Demon nicotine is!!! I wish I could quit, but I'm just not that strong, not to mention I'd probably weight 300 lbs vs. my 105 that I am now. Do I die of Lung Cancer or a weight related death? There's just no easy answer!

BIG to those who've fought and continue to fight that mean Demon!!

BBfan-your words are so true and bring back so many awful memories. Many years I've wasted thinking I wasn't strong enough. The first time I quit took months of stopping/starting and were just torture. This time was a relative walk in the park. They say every quit is different and I've found that to be true. Not being able to smoke in most places (like planes) does point up to the enslavement of the addiction and it really sucks. Look into the chantrix.
    Up until my quit day I wasn't sure I could do it. But quit day it was like and iron rod had installed itself in my being and said no more smoking. Dunno if that iron rod came from chantrix or myself.

As far as the weight goes, don't even worry about it. That is just your addiction talking..and vanity. You don't want cancer or COPD. A friend of mine is dying from COPD and it is awful to see.

Heck, just the fact that you read this thread is an indication to me that on some level you are taking the steps to being a non-smoker. Come and be free with me.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3187316;
    BBfan-your words are so true and bring back so many awful memories. Many years I've wasted thinking I wasn't strong enough. The first time I quit took months of stopping/starting and were just torture. This time was a relative walk in the park. They say every quit is different and I've found that to be true. Not being able to smoke in most places (like planes) does point up to the enslavement of the addiction and it really sucks. Look into the chantrix.
    Up until my quit day I wasn't sure I could do it. But quit day it was like and iron rod had installed itself in my being and said no more smoking. Dunno if that iron rod came from chantrix or myself.

As far as the weight goes, don't even worry about it. That is just your addiction talking..and vanity. You don't want cancer or COPD. A friend of mine is dying from COPD and it is awful to see.

Heck, just the fact that you read this thread is an indication to me that on some level you are taking the steps to being a non-smoker. Come and be free with me.

I'm so very proud of you livin4reality!! I know I need to quit, but I need to get your attitude and willpower before doing so and I'm not there yet. Sadly, I doubt I ever will be, but I applaud you for your determination and the progress that you've made!!! You'll beat that Demon this time, I just know it!!

You don't have to gain weight when you quit smoking. There are other things that you can use to fill the void that quitting smoking leaves. You just have to be aware that you can't fill the void with food. I know that is easier said than done, but I have fought a lifelong battle with my weight and I didn't gain much weight when I quit smoking.

As to dying from lung issues or weight issues, I watched my mother die of lung cancer, and not being able to breathe is a horrible, painful way to die. It's the main reason I quit. I don't want my kids to have to watch me die that way.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3187311;
    As far as money saved...$150 bucks as of today. I've already spent it Went out and bought a Wii. Love that thing!

That is so cool! What an awesome way to reward yourself.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3187211;
    They are generally around $6.00 a pack here.
    Geez, maybe I need to move there and I would quit smoking just because of the money.
    I live in a state that still produces tobacco and has low cigarette taxes. The brand I smoke I can get for $2.75 a pack. Walgreens has had a deal going on my brand for months. They are more expensive other places, but there's a Walgreens near me.

Livin, that is great that you rewarded yourself with something special with the money you saved.

It's a demon. It's an addiction and I hate myself everytime I light up, but I can't seem to stop wanting to light up. It sucks.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I read somewhere that emphysema feels like this:

Take a deep breath of air and hold it. Without letting it out, take another deep breath. Without letting that one out, take another. That feeling that your lungs are bursting, and the pain is what emphysema feels like.

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoFan;3187345;
    I'm so very proud of you livin4reality!! I know I need to quit, but I need to get your attitude and willpower before doing so and I'm not there yet. Sadly, I doubt I ever will be, but I applaud you for your determination and the progress that you've made!!! You'll beat that Demon this time, I just know it!!
    I started smoking when I was 17. Smoked until now, almost 47. Only time I ever quit was when I was pregnant w/ son. A pack and a half per day. I figured up how much time I used up each day just smoking..about 2 1/2 hours.

Anyway. I really didn't even consider quitting. Then end of May I got really tired of spending so much on the damn things. I started rolling my own cigerettes. Cheap but very time consuming. That went on for about 6 weeks.. Next, I told my DD I was thinking about quitting. THAT was a huge step. Actually saying the "Q" word outloud? I wasn't consciously thinking of quitting...I just wanted to see her reaction which I knew would be positive. Got that positive reaction and felt like crap, cause I knew I wasn't ready to even try. Everyone had been bugging me about getting a physical..it had been several years since my last one. So I made an appt. And started rolling menthol tobacco. Awful. Asked dr. about chantrix and she was so excited that it would work. And it did.

BBfan-it wasn't like I instantly knew it was time to quit. It was a slow process...took me 3 months or so. I already started reading COPD message boards. People who have the disease and are on oxygen..and still smoke. It terrified me. Plus I was really starting to physically feel it in my lungs..shortness of breath etc. (and I didn't tell anyone about that) that would be an admission that smoking is bad for me. I always felt like it wouldn't affect me. I wouldn't be one to get a smoker's disease. But..I had to face that it could/would happen if I didn't stop.

You'll get there BBfan. Just like MRD. Someday you all will be posting your success here. I know it.

OMG. My posts are starting to look like a friggin novel. Just like MRD.
    OMG another double post. Sorry!
    Last edited by livin4reality; 09-03-2008 at 07:09 PM. Reason: eta

I tried Chantix. Bleh, didn't work for me. Actually, it did, but the side effects were awful and I had to stop taking it. My hair started to fall out, I was bloating big time, my face was a huge mess of acne and the mood swings were horrible. Next time, I am going back to Zyban and this time I am not going to stop taking it until I am suppose to stop taking it. I have used it twice, but both times quit taking it before I should have. For me it just makes it so darn easy to not smoke, I think I will be OK without it. The third time, doc gave me the generic of Zyban and it was horrible. By my quit day I was smoking twice as much as I was without it. Now I know, Zyban, not generic, and be prepared to take until I am suppose to stop taking it. Now just picking the time to quit again....
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

+ Reply to Thread