+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Re: Quitting Smoking

For me, smoking and overeating are 2 totally different addictions. Smoking, I can quit and be done with it. Don't have to be around it ever again. But food is a different story entirely. You have to eat in order to live. And that makes food addictions much more difficult (for me).

So it is day 10 for me without a cigerette. Well I did have one on Saturday. It was a stressful day, I was around 2 hard-core smokers and everyone was arguing (this was at work) so I bummed one. And it didn't do a damn thing for me. There was no nicotine rush, no feeling of well being, didn't take the stress away..it was like smoking nothing. This chantrix is an amazing drug. Since then I haven't smoked any. And I'm not being hard on myself for smoking that cigerette. It was a great lesson and release for me. A freedom from 30 years of living my life from smoke to smoke. I learned that craving I still get sometimes is from stress. I am so happy to be free. Now I don't feel like a second-class citizen.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Really-- just start over when you're ready, and keep in your mind that the 'cigarette demon' will always find a 'good reason' for you to smoke. Remember, there are NO good reasons--stress, pain, events, or whatever. Get this firmly in your mind, because those are generally why people re-start even after they have been quit for a long time. You probably already know this. Good luck, you can do this. Still, you might as well wait until you are sure you are truly ready. It's good that you are smoking less, but sadly, my personal experience was that the couple of times I made up my mind to "at least cut down", it didn't last very long as I would always gradually build back to the prior level. The closest I ever came to having that work was when they used to make a chewing gum that didn't contain any drugs, but made the cigarette taste like burning foam rubber or something when you broke down and smoked. Still, it was expensive, and within a week i went from 3 or 4 smokes a day back up to over half a pack, at which point I quit buying the expensive (to me) gum and within a few months was back over 2 packs every day and even more if I went out partying.
    Anyway, long story short, wait until you've got your mind right, and watch out for the "demon" with the excuses next time. It's not the [I]circumstance[/I] that's making you smoke, it's the addiction. The circumstance just allows the addictive part of your personality to find an excuse.
    Learning that is what makes me know I'll never smoke again; it's been nearly 13 years now. Or something--smoking iis no longer a part of my life, so I don't remember the exact date I quit, I just know it was while I was in my last rental before getting this house in late 1996.
    Anyway, I can't imagine still thinking events would make me smoke-- if I get laid off at the end of the year, when my parents die, whatever.

Now, go regroup!

Oh, and livin4reality, way to go, keep on going! But be careful-- the addiction will start telling you that "last time you smoked one, you were fine--go ahead" when you are stressed, or around smokers. Recognize that this is going to happen, before it does, so you will say NO. Do not tell yourself "it was ok". Say, "that was really stupid; don't let it happen again, ever!" That's how I finally quit for sure.
    (But don't kick yourself, just do better. Look at it as an educational experience)
    Last edited by queenb; 08-19-2008 at 06:27 PM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Don't be hard on yourselves no matter how much you slip up! It's bound to happen. I've quit for years at a time and always managed to slip up once in a while. It's more stressful on yourself if you beat yourself up about it. Laught it off and say tomorrow is a new day.
    Yup, with donuts!!

mrd Obviously this was not the best time for you to quit smoking. There is no need to beat yourself up about it. You gave it your best shot, and as long as you try again when you feel better it will all work out. I will definitely be here to support you when you're ready to try again.

Hope those who want to quit do so, but I'm too hard headed to do so!

For some people it's a hand mouth issue, so when you quit smoking you have to compensate by eating, but if you eat healthy like eating carrot sticks it not only helps the hand mouth issue, but it keeps you from eating the bad stuff.

Sugar free lollipops.... if you have enough of them you might lose weight as well! (they make you go potty! )
    Yup, with donuts!!

an empty nest, and not liking it one dang bit!

MRD - do what your doctor says, from someone who has smoked and had a flaming UTI, I KNOW (somewhat) the pain you were pacing through. You will quit, I know you will but get that bladder condition under control first. You can do lots of stuff while smoking, not smoking and trying to quit smoking. You can do nothing while in that kind of bladder pain. This is not failure in any way shape or form. this is a delay in your plan. Thank you for giving me reassurance on the chantrix. I will be filling that prescription as soon as I get back from AZ

Much love and healing to you. (and your bladder i am being serious, I would rather give birth twice a day every day than go through bladder pain )

Good job Livin! and I totally see what you mean about the food, it is a B!tch and a nightmare and I am fighting that one as well. Keep up the good work you are doing awsome.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by snickertink;3170758;
    MRD - do what your doctor says, from someone who has smoked and had a flaming UTI, I KNOW (somewhat) the pain you were pacing through. You will quit, I know you will but get that bladder condition under control first. You can do lots of stuff while smoking, not smoking and trying to quit smoking. You can do nothing while in that kind of bladder pain. This is not failure in any way shape or form. this is a delay in your plan. Thank you for giving me reassurance on the chantrix. I will be filling that prescription as soon as I get back from AZ

Much love and healing to you. (and your bladder i am being serious, I would rather give birth twice a day every day than go through bladder pain )

Good job Livin! and I totally see what you mean about the food, it is a B!tch and a nightmare and I am fighting that one as well. Keep up the good work you are doing awsome.
    Snickertink, thank you. That sentence really has helped me a lot. I was feeling a bit babyish about the whole thing, but you are right. Bladder pain can be worse than childbirth sometimes.
    And I'm still working on the mental aspect of quitting smoking. I am taking this time to really examine when and where and why I smoke and I've still not gone back to smoking as much.

I can really see a difference with the Chantix. It took almost the full first week to really see an effect, so do the whole plan, the website and activities and phone calls and everything. I think it's going to be really successful for me. This is probably the first time I had so much support from people who understand the psychology of smoking. I have relied heavily on their web stuff.

Sugar free lemon drops have helped a lot too.

Shaybo you're right, it is so much a hand mouth issue. I need to learn to knit. I really do, so I can keep my hands busy. I need someone to teach me. I've tried and tried to learn. Maybe this would be a good time to try it again.

Livin, you're doing great. You are my inspiration. I can't wait to be just like you.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Keep it up mrd! It will only get easier.

+ Reply to Thread