+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The FORT science outreach project

I bet you didn't think you were going to become a teacher this morning when you woke up. Thanks for all the information.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

Astrogirl, I think you're doing a fine job of explaining difficult math/science concepts to us. Thank you.
    I am going to go let my brain cool a while.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Astrogirl, I think you're doing a fine job of explaining difficult math/science concepts to us. Thank you.
    I am going to go let my brain cool a while.
    I find that after a long days work on these things, reality TV is just the thing to cool my brain down

I always equate the big bang theory to Capt. Kirk saying "warp speed Mr. Sulu, lets blow this joint!!!" and right now what little gravitational flux and friction of the Ether has slowed things down to what is known as light speed now. The only thing faster being a quark.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Oh, by the way, I recommend: http://www.badastronomy.com/ This site is really funny, and I love reading this guy smash movies like Armageddon to bits. Also love his reports on common misconceptions and bad astronomy on TV.

http://madsci.wustl.edu/ these mad scientists have pooled their resources and answer questions from the public. They answer question like: What color is a mirror? (the answer, btw., is here: http://madsci.wustl.edu/posts/archiv...9262.Ot.r.html).

Oh, and I love the following list of science statements made by children:

Kid's ideas about science:

From the Boston Globe a few years back: The beguiling ideas about science quoted here were gleaned from essays, exams, and class room discussions. Most were from 5th and 6th graders. They illustrate Mark Twain's contention that the 'most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they know and then stop.'

Question: What is one horsepower? Answer: One horsepower is the amount of energy it takes to drag a horse 500 feet in one second.

You can listen to thunder after lightening and tell how close you came to getting hit. If you don't hear it, you got hit, so never mind.

Talc is found on rocks and on babies.

The law of gravity says no fair jumping up without coming back down.

When they broke open molecules, they found they were only stuffed with atoms. But when they broke open atoms, they found them stuffed with explosions.

When people run around and around in circles we say they are crazy. When planets do it we say they are orbiting.

Rainbows are just to look at, not to really understand.

While the earth seems to be knowingly keeping its distance from the sun, it is really only centrificating.

Someday we may discover how to make magnets that can point in any direction.

South America has cold summers and hot winters, but somehow they still manage.

Most books now say our sun is a star. But it still knows how to change back into a sun in the daytime.

Water freezes at 32 degrees and boils at 212 degrees. There are 180 degrees between freezing and boiling because there are 180 degrees between north and south.

A vibration is a motion that cannot make up its mind which way it wants to go.

There are 26 vitamins in all, but some of the letters are yet to be discovered. Finding them all means living forever.

There is a tremendous weight pushing down on the center of the Earth because of so much population stomping around up there these days.

Lime is a green-tasting rock.

Many dead animals in the past changed to fossils while others preferred to be oil.

Genetics explain why you look like your father and if you don't why you should.

Vacuums are nothings. We only mention them to let them know we know they're there.

Some oxygen molecules help fires burn while others help make water, so sometimes it's brother against brother.

Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun. But I have never been able to make out the numbers.

We say the cause of perfume disappearing is evaporation. Evaporation gets blamed for a lot of things people forget to put the top on.

To most people solutions mean finding the answers. But to chemists solutions are things that are still all mixed up.

In looking at a drop of water under a microscope, we find there are twice as many H's as O's.

Clouds are high flying fogs.

I am not sure how clouds get formed. But the clouds know how to do it, and that is the important thing.

Clouds just keep circling the earth around and around. And around. There is not much else to do.

Water vapor gets together in a cloud. When it is big enough to be called a drop, it does.

Humidity is the experience of looking for air and finding water.

We keep track of the humidity in the air so we won't drown when we breathe.

Rain is often known as soft water, oppositely known as hail.

Rain is saved up in cloud banks.

In some rocks you can find the fossil footprints of fishes.

Cyanide is so poisonous that one drop of it on a dogs tongue will kill the strongest man.

A blizzard is when it snows sideways.

A hurricane is a breeze of a bigly size.

A monsoon is a French gentleman.

Thunder is a rich source of loudness.

Isotherms and isobars are even more important than their names sound.

It is so hot in some places that the people there have to live in other places.

The wind is like the air, only pushier.

I am going to have my son read this thread. He will love it.

He was partnered with three other people to do some science project, but because 2 of the people had no clue as to what my son and his friend were suggesting, they had to do something a tad easier. He (my son) will really enjoy this thread!

Um... didn't mean to imply that I don't enjoy it It's fascinating.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

All I have to say is that I've been pondering about this kind of stuff for a while, and it's all incredibly interesting, so I'm enjoying this thread!

Yes.....I'm a nerd, so what?

Oh, and the badastronomy.com site is great too!
    Gustav Holst was right!

Astro-

You made my golf outing fun today. I brought up this subject and while everyone was discussing it, I was able to kick my ball into the fairway

Seriously, the balloon example is a great way to imagine what is happening. I'm just having a hard time imagining what existed before the BB. I know you said there was nothing, but in my mind, something had to have existed.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

This is something one would expect to learn in a quantam physics class where theoretical mathmatics and manipulation of time are tinkered with.

OK, talking about wormholes...

From what I understand about black holes, all they are is really condensed matter, so condensed that a thimble full has more gravitational force than something like a 1,000 suns. So how does that form a worm hole?

***I can't really type that as mine, as it would require me understanding something about black holes to begin with.... yeah.... that's from my son ***
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast