+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Lefties Unite

Another leftie here.
    I do most things with my left - I even sleep on my left side.
    The scissors thing - always used right handed ones, with my left hand of course. Must have gotten so used to it that now I can't stand using left handed ones. I can never get them to cut correctly. It does give me an excuse for not cutting straight. I used that all the time in school.
    My DH learned very early when we were dating to sit me on the outside after I knocked the food off his fork with my elbow at dinner one night. Usually end up rearranging the place setting at a restaurant as everything is usually set to the right side.
    I don't curl my hand for writing and hold my pen normal but I still get ink on the side of my hand. Ugh! Can't use roller ball ink pens.
    My computer mouse is on my right side and of course driving the gear shift is on the right side, not much choice in that one. Was told that left handed people should be able to learn to drive a standard vehicle easier than a right handed person because you use your left foot for the clutch pedal.
    Ever notice when a someone hands you a pen to sign something they will hold it out towards your right hand?

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Holly, when I eat, I cut with my left hand, too. But then I switch the silverware around and use the fork in my left hand to eat what I've just cut. I must drive my wife nuts
    you mean that's not normal. I've always done this too.

Must go make note to self about this (with my left hand of course).

FORT Fogey
    I think the cutting/eating thing in cultural. In my travels I have noticed that most places outside of the U.S., people tend to cut food with their dominant hand and use the fork of their reccessive hand to move the food into their mouths.

In the U.S. and more hoity-toity places, its considered good manners to cut your food with your dominant hand, set the knife down and use your dominant hand with the fork too. I think there is even a scene showing that in "League of their Own" - during the part where they are in charm school.

Very Emily Post-ish. So that you always have nice posture at the table and arent hunched over your food like a surgeon.

In many military schools they even go so far as to make pleebs lift their forks off of their plates at a perpendicular angle and then a straight right angle into their mouths and then follow the same straight lines back down to the table again.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    MalibuPam, you might want to print out and give your school this article:

http://www.handedness.org/action/fairdesks.html
    Thanks John!

I couldn't believe it when one Mom told me her older son was a leftie and "he doesn't have a problem with it", and another Mom said she worked in "office furniture" and the desks didn't come the left-handed way--which I knew could not be true (and it is not, I checked online.) The teacher said his wife was left-handed, so they are always knocking elbows, and yet he too could only shrug as if this is just the way it is done. People acted like this was a non-issue. This makes me angry, even on principle, even if I didn't have a lefty child, and even if my lefty doesn't know that lefty desks exist and he's entitled to one. The good news is that the desks aren't the tablet-arm style, which are blantantly discrimnatory--these are flat-topped--but they are still right-based for book/supply storage and seating, and that isn't "right."

I'm a lefty and damn proud of it. My boss is too and that's probably why we're so laid-back.

Here's my question for my new found left friends. When you are writing on a blackboard or on the wall (in a manner of speaking) do you use your left or right hand? I have a tendancy to use my right (more comfortable) even though I can also right legibly with my left.

Playing softball I bat right but hit to the left. Talk about messing with people's minds.

I grew up a right handed person in a left handed house, out of 7 people -Mom, Dad, and 5 kids- I was the only rightie. So I guess I can kind of understand the frustration that some lefties go through.

Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl422
    Here's my question for my new found left friends. When you are writing on a blackboard or on the wall (in a manner of speaking) do you use your left or right hand? I have a tendancy to use my right (more comfortable) even though I can also right legibly with my left.
    I still use my left, but my hand-writing is horrible on a blackboard.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    I still use my left, but my hand-writing is horrible on a blackboard.
    I also end up with chalk all over the side of my hand which usually gets transferred to my clothes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567