+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lefties Unite

I am a rightie, but my father, grandmother, and aunt are lefties. My older son seemed quite ambidextrous before he went to school, but now he clearly prefers right hand.
    One of my best friends was always a 100% rightie until when (she was almost 30 years old) she discovered that if she wrote with left hand people could actually read her handwriting Her left hand handwriting is actually neat, and right handed is a holy mess. Maybe she is one of those people who were forced to use the wrong hand for writing in school.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Ooooh! I'm so mad! I typed out this long response & it didn't post!

Anyway, basically, here's what I said: I have 2 siblings; 2 of the 3 of us are lefties, as is my father. It was really helpful to have a left-handed parent when I was learning to tie my shoes, write, etc. But when I was taking home ec. my dad couldn't be any help with that, & my teacher & my mom both didn't know how to teach me to crochet (my mom ended up doing the project for me. That was the only time in my life that my parents did a project for me). My husband is also left handed.

I can relate to pretty much everything said here! We definitely live in a world designed for right-handed people! I think that's why lefties are more accident prone & die younger - b/c we are trying to use things designed for right-handed people! My husband told me that lefties make up less than 10% of the population.

Regarding those damn spiral notebooks, these days if I need one, I look for ones that have the rings on top, or buy a steno-pad.

Also, I have found that Bic pens don't smear like other pens do. The ink must dry quicker or something. Has anyone else had trouble with pencils smearing on them? I have.

I also get extremely annoyed at pens that are secured down & are almost impossible to angle properly for a left-handed person. Discrimination?
    I have really nice handwriting; people always say "your handwriting is so pretty, I can't believe you're a lefty!" :rolleyes It's kind of annoying, b/c I see plenty of right handed people with atrocious handwriting!

Left-handed scissors...what a joke. Not only do they cost more money , but they are crap. I cut with my right hand, & pretty darn well!

I also eat with my right hand, but only if I am eating something that I have to cut; I am really weird in that when I'm eating, I don't ever put my fork or knife down, I keep them in my hand the entire time, so I cut with the left, eat with the right.

I also notice when someone is a lefty. I always think it's cool to find another odd-ball! When we got our house alarm, the owner came out to do some paperwork with us, & he was a lefty & I said something about me & my husband being lefty as well & he gave us a discount! That was cool. I do notice that a lot of actors seem to be left-handed as well.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I love being a leftie!!

Typing online bugs me. I have my left-handed wrist twisted upside down while typing and I get all the ink from the keys smeared on left pinky finger.
    I'm kiddingg!!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I tried writing a note with my left hand, and it actually is more readable than a friend's handwriting is with his right hand! (He's a rightie with atrocious handwriting.)

Ok, enough about myself....
    Gustav Holst was right!

Holly, when I eat, I cut with my left hand, too. But then I switch the silverware around and use the fork in my left hand to eat what I've just cut. I must drive my wife nuts

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Holly, when I eat, I cut with my left hand, too. But then I switch the silverware around and use the fork in my left hand to eat what I've just cut. I must drive my wife nuts
    I do the same thing John. The dog doesn't seem to mind though.

Both times* that someone taught me to knit they did it by sitting in front of me and having me mirror what they were doing.

I think I do the silverware switch to, and I've never learned how to properly set the table, I can never remember which side what goes on. Even when I make an effort, my Mom laughs because I have it exactly backwards.

*yeah, and I had to be taught to tell time twice also 'cause I forgot one summer and panicked 'cause I'd have to go back to 3rd grade(I think it was) not knowing how to tell time!
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

How exactly does one forget how to tell time, other than with an extreme overindulgence in alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by John

I do the same thing, and I thought I was the only one... ......my father in law loves to tease me......my husband has enough things to tease me about..smile

and my writing is neat , I write with my hand slanted in the "normal " hand position anotherwords I don't twist my wrist around to write......smile
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

When I eat, I hold the fork in my right hand and my knife in the left. When I was learning to use utensils, my parrents put the fork in my right hand (since I am right handed) and cut out stuff for me. When time came to learn how to use a knife, I put it in my left hand, because the fork was in my right hand. I was a very stubborn kid, and I refused to put the fork in my left hand, since I learned using it with my right.

Otherwise, I'm right handed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast