+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lefties Unite

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    Being left-handed was an advantage playing softball as far as batting. It did limit the defensive positions I could play though.
    Yeah, it's tricky working the left side of the infield. I played shortstop for a season in softball, and it was tough getting your body rotated around to make the throw to first. I play second base every now and then, too, and it's still pretty hard over there, too, to make the throw properly.

Other observations from this thread:

- Most lefties do look totally contorted when they write, or they just have something completely wrong-looking about it. I, for example, wrap my thumb around the pen. I don't use it at all to help guide the writing implement.

- EVERY lefty seeks that outside left seat at restaurants. Get two lefties together and they'll fight over that choice position.

- Lefties do seem to be sensitive (as you said, Mariner) to other lefties. I look around the meeting room, too, to spot the other lefties. There are a BUNCH on my team at work.

- Lefties seem to have an advantage in foosball.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

THAT's what I forgot half-way through posting my thread yesterday.
    I run very low on the creativity scale, can't play instruments by ear, and enjoy singing barbershop for the technicality of being a baritone. I have a very logical mind, and love being a computer programmer.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

I'm a righty but my sister is a lefty. I always sat to her right when we did anything (eating, homework, watching tv, etc.) so we never bumped arms. To this day, when we are around each other, she always naturally drifts to my left. It's not right if she's on the right.
    A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself. - Verbal Kint from the movie The Usual Suspects

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    - Most lefties do look totally contorted when they write, or they just have something completely wrong-looking about it. I, for example, wrap my thumb around the pen. I don't use it at all to help guide the writing implement.
    I've always prided myself in being one of the few lefties that doesn't do that "hook" thing. (Hey you gotta find something to be proud of! ) But like Paulie, I do hold my pen weird by balancing it on my ring finger instead of my middle and then wrapping the other fingers around. It's quite hard to explain, but just trust me it's not normal.

ETA: I'm also artistic (musician) and very analytical (to my detriment sometimes ).
    Who shot who in the what now?

FORT Fogey
    I think its hilarious how many lefties have mentioned how people treat us "different" and praise us for persevering - as if its a miracle that we can make it through the day.

I remember being a kid and having friends moms say things like "oh you poor dear - didnt your parents try and change you to the right way?"

How about when we play softball - especially work/bar league softball. Every time you come to bat its as it we hit Defcon IV - "Uh-Oh, Lefty Up! - Shift" then it trickles down until you hear every last player echoing "Lefty- shift!"

And of course then every eye is on you because of all the commotion as if you are going to do something magical.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    ........I remember being a kid and having friends moms say things like "oh you poor dear - didnt your parents try and change you to the right way?"...........
    (In a deep, mystical voice) Luuuuuke, come join the "right side".

Daddio, you have a great thread! I love lefties too! Some of them are my best friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    - EVERY lefty seeks that outside left seat at restaurants. Get two lefties together and they'll fight over that choice position.

- Lefties do seem to be sensitive (as you said, Mariner) to other lefties. I look around the meeting room, too, to spot the other lefties. There are a BUNCH on my team at work.

- Lefties seem to have an advantage in foosball.
    "

*runs to find foosball table*

The restaurant thing is hilarious. All the righties look at you like, huh? That is, until you've sat on their right side. I often go to lunch with some of my colleagues, one of whom has a pretty substantial hearing loss in one ear so he's always vying to be seated with his right ear toward people. We all look like we are playing a game of musical chairs trying to be seated.

As part of being sensitive, I have noticed that a disproportionate number of attorneys are left-handed. It must have to do with the analytical tendencies of right-brained people. I am extremely analytical. I am, however, in no way artistically talented. In fact, a six year old can draw better than I can and I got "Needs Improvement in Group Singing" in 1st Grade. That was the last time I ever sang in public (well, unless copious amounts of alcohol were involved).

Oh, and Daddio, I love the softball lefty shift. It cracks me up. When I gave up fastpitch after college and started playing slowpitch, I learned to flip the ball over the third baseman's head. Hey, if someone wants to give me a double, it works for me.

Half the time I play right into the lefty shift. The other half of the time, I line out to the pitcher. I'm like Barry Bonds in that way. Left field doesn't exist for me. I'm unlike Barry in pretty much every other possible way.

Someone mentioned earlier how difficult it was for their parents to teach them how to do things with the "wrong" hand. That reminded me of my father teaching me baseball. He's chronically right-handed and was having a bear of a time figuring out how to show what I needed to to swing the bat or throw the ball. One day, though, he gleefully hustled me outside and stood right in front of me. Then he told me to pretend he was a mirror and to do what he did. That worked REALLY. WELL.

BTW, all this right brain/left brain stuff. I'm not sure I buy it. Yes, I have a very pronounced creative streak in me, but I'm also employed as a software development engineer and I have a B.S. in Computer Science. I don't think I'm necessarily right-brained OR left-brained. I appear to be mixed-brained or something, which they also call "addled." Oh, and there are TONS of other engineers in my Lab that are left-handed. TONS. Very odd. *strokes chin thoughtfully...with left hand*
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I am unbelievably right-handed. I don't think I could even find my mouth with my toothbrush if I was holding it in my left hand.

This thread is making me think of Ned Flanders and his "Leftorium".
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

When I volunteer at my daughter's preschool, it makes me nuts trying to help the left-handed kids with scissors, because I have to use my useless left hand to try and guide their stubborn little left-handed grips to cut out hard stuff like bunny ears
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast