+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has the phrase "Jumped the shark" jumped the shark?

FORT Regular
    Count me in for the phrase "same difference"

I've always hated that one

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkieparrot
    "good times" bugs me. Also, "No prob" (no problem) gets on my nerves.

Whew! I thought I was the only one bugged by "good times", thanks, Pinkie!
    I forgot to add this one previously: "that being said..."

And (uh oh...here she goes....) the misuse of the word "peruse". (peruse: to read with great attention) Skimming or scanning are NOT perusing. Thank you.

I hate it when you ask someone what the day it and they say,e.g. "it's the 21st. . .all day".
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by ineedalife
    "Just sayin'..." drives me coo-coo too when I see it at the end of some posts.

I absolutely despise the now-common use of the word "pimp" - can we please remember that a pimp is a piece of human garbage that uses and abuses women, and should NOT be used as a trendy verb or adjective?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

ahaha, here's one:

for example, you ever turn on the tv to any of these 'court' shows and you have either the plaintiff or defendent giving their side of the story and it sounds like this...

"yea, so your honor so then we was over there knowhatimtalkinabout and then dude started trippin' knowhatimtalkinabout. so i was like knowhatimtalkinabout knowhatimtalkinabout knowhatimtalkinabout knowhatimtalkinabout"

they never form a complete thought and say "knowhatimtalkinabout" every other word

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg
    ....they never form a complete thought and say "knowhatimtalkinabout" every other word

rrrrgh. Ellen Degeneres addressed that in a recent monologue on her talk show. Bold but hilarious.

Does this belong in this thread? Because my biggest linguistic pet peeve is the rampant misuse of the word IRONIC. And that @#$%! Alanis song did nothing to help the situation, (it is not the same thing as coincidence). Isn't it moronic?

Advice for popstars and regular joes alike: Don't use it unless you're sure you're using it correctly! Try consulting a dictionary first!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

ok, I just heard Mary Hart, Anchor of Entertainment Tonight, use the words...

"hook up"

Officially that is now my least favorite phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Does this belong in this thread?

Advice for popstars and regular joes alike: Don't use it unless you're sure you're using it correctly! Try consulting a dictionary first!

What she said.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Does this belong in this thread? Because my biggest linguistic pet peeve is the rampant misuse of the word IRONIC. And that @#$%! Alanis song did nothing to help the situation, (it is not the same thing as coincidence). Isn't it moronic?

I forget who it was, but someone was quoted as saying re. the Alanis song: "She's just singing about a bunch of bummers."

BTW, "pimp" to me still has a negative connotation. I even say "manslut" instead of "player" (and it IS the same thing, whether you want to admit it or not).
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast