+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magnet distorted my monitor...HELP!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

Magnet distorted my monitor...HELP!

My lovely and beautiful daughter who I love with all my heart TOOK A MAGNET TO MY MONITOR SCREEN. The right side of it is weird purple/blue color and it's darker in spots.

Is there any way to fix that?

I loved her 9000 Thomas the Tank Engine trains. Until yesterday.

I had the same thing happen to me a couple of times. If I ran the magnet over the screen again in the same spots it got rid of it.

Before you try this wait for other responces, in case my solution only worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp
    My lovely and beautiful daughter who I love with all my heart TOOK A MAGNET TO MY MONITOR SCREEN. The right side of it is weird purple/blue color and it's darker in spots.

Is there any way to fix that?

I loved her 9000 Thomas the Tank Engine trains. Until yesterday.
    If your monitor has a degauss button (may be with the control section of your monitor) you may want to try that. The other thing that you might want to try is to turn your monitor off for a few hours with it unplugged.

If the damage is too great you may have to replace it.

BM
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    BLUE MEANIE!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU

The degauss button worked! I had NO idea what that did, but it worked. Thank you SO SO much!!!

FORT Newbie
    Hi. Who knew I'd find a great discussion forum for one of my favorite subjects (reality TV) while searching for an answer to my current crisis. My lovely daughter, age 5, just pulled a large magnet across the face of my TV screen and it distorted the colors. I REALLY hope that I can find the original remote now and see if that button works for me. If not I may have to use the magnet again as the other person suggested.... I am really nervous about that prospect. Wish me luck!

A TV will probably not have a "degausse" option. They don't work quite like computer monitors. I would hang on a few minutes for some suggestions before trying the magnet thing with it.

The best suggestion I can give you, after doing a little research, is turn your TV off for a few minutes, then turn it back on. TV's most often have a built-in degausser which runs automatically when you turn the TV on after it's been off at least a few minutes.

Putting a magnet near a TV can cause permanent damage to it. So, I wouldn't recommend putting it near it again.

if you take your tv into a tv shop they can demagnetize it. Or you could probably buy something that would demagnatize it. It looks like a big round wand, you just run over the screen a couple times and it fixes it.

FORT Newbie

I just discovered that, however....

It WORKED! It WORKED! It WORKED!!!!!!!

It was risky, I know. What I did was cover the magnet with the palm of my hand and sort of start at the very end of the "rainbow stripe" in my screen and "push" it back to the edge of the tube where the line began. I wasn't willing to touch the screen with the magnet, as she had, so I held it several inches back. (This magnet is one of the sort you buy in a science/discovery store, used for picking items up.) If it hadn't begun working immediately I would have stopped dead in my tracks. I tried it out with the thought that one more little inch of distorted color wasn't going to make a difference either way, if it wound up not helping matters.
    Now I can rest assured that when Road Rules Extreme airs, I won't miss seeing anyones "true colors".
    Glad I found you guys anyway, hope to dish on my favorite shows with you.

FORT Newbie

I can't believe how quick you all are to try to help a stranger!

Sorry for posting AGAIN, but I just realized there were two new posts already. Thank you for your quick help and interest in my silly problem. If I had read Johns most recent post before trying my risky shot in the dark, I would have turned the TV off and headed out for the day. Oops. Lucky for me it didn't do any real damage. I'll know better next time. Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast